THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Track day questions and advice

07-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
retcav
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Track day questions and advice

So, thinking about doing a lite track day. I’m an old fart, retired from the Army and about to be a retired school teacher. I’ve always wanted to do a track day but have been afraid of hurting the car. I’ve owned many sports cars over the years that could have been tracked but just never did it.

I think I’m finally going to give it a shot. I recently bought a well sorted 2014 M235I. Car has an FTP boost pipe, BMS intercooler and charge pipe, AFE scoop/w K&N Filter. It has the JB4 device and I’m running map 5. The car is stock otherwise. It has APEX ARC 8 17” wheels with a square setup of Michelin PS4S (245-40-17). I don’t plan on trashing the car, just want to push it a little and have fun. Plan on going to little Talladega in Alabama where there are no walls😊. A little concerned about the Oil starvation issue, but don’t think I’ll be driving it hard enough to worry about that. Any words of wisdom? Advice? Anything more I need to do to the car for a lite track day? TIA for any help. Also, I have no delusions of my track ability so you won’t insult me with any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Go for it. Since you are from around Cleveland TN try Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) near Dawsonville , GA. The SCCA has has 1/2 day events It is probably 30 minute shorter drive than little Talledega
For you. Next event august 24. 3 20 minute sessions Here is link :

https://www.scca.com/events/2000428-...park-august-24

Bowie Gray who races an M235 in SCCA TT will probably be there officiating I am signed up (M240). My sons drove their first track event there in novice group last year. I don't think your pace at an event like this will put excessive stress on your car

Bill
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retcav View Post
So, thinking about doing a lite track day. I’m an old fart, retired from the Army and about to be a retired school teacher. I’ve always wanted to do a track day but have been afraid of hurting the car. I’ve owned many sports cars over the years that could have been tracked but just never did it.

I think I’m finally going to give it a shot. I recently bought a well sorted 2014 M235I. Car has an FTP boost pipe, BMS intercooler and charge pipe, AFE scoop/w K&N Filter. It has the JB4 device and I’m running map 5. The car is stock otherwise. It has APEX ARC 8 17” wheels with a square setup of Michelin PS4S (245-40-17). I don’t plan on trashing the car, just want to push it a little and have fun. Plan on going to little Talladega in Alabama where there are no walls😊. A little concerned about the Oil starvation issue, but don’t think I’ll be driving it hard enough to worry about that. Any words of wisdom? Advice? Anything more I need to do to the car for a lite track day? TIA for any help. Also, I have no delusions of my track ability so you won’t insult me with any advice.
Best would be to get an instructor to run with you.... you will make progress much faster and avoid expensive mistakes

It would be nice to have extra camber like with the M4 LCAs else even though the PS4s have harder sidewall than PSS, you might end up rolling over on the tire shoulders and wearing the shoulders prematurely...
As a band aid solution you can overinflate the tires a bit to prevent some rollover... maybe start 38PSI cold and monitor the wear ...better to start high and go lower than start low and destroy the tire

oil starvation don't think will happen with PS4s but in any case just overfill by 1/2 - 3/4 quart of oil as peace of mind

Other thing you might want eventually are better pads... I like the EBC yellow or blue even better

Your brake fluid should be less than 1yr old... I would do Motul RBF-600 or Castrol SRF (this is the best but it's double the price)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I suggest choosing an event where you'll be assigned an instructor to help you get started. Most clubs (but not all) offer that service as part of the price.

If you go to the event suggested by BillG2A, I recommend looking Bill or Bowie up to ask for starting tire pressures and hot tire pressures advice. Our cars can be hard on tires depending upon a number of factors, and tire pressures are the factor most under your control.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I would turn off the JB4 or go to the lowest power setting given that you're running full tilt for extended periods in the FL heat. I could see the DME going into limp mode on setting 5.

The PS4 tires and driving skills shouldn't create an oil starvation risk. The N55s that spun rod bearings from track driving are those on sticky rubber going through long, high G sweepers.

Inflate the tires as pikcachu recommended.

If available, have an instructor ride along as dradernh recommended.

You're going to be going really fast. That means things can happen very fast, even if there isn't a nearby wall to hit. A lot of damage can still be done. Take it really easy and don't get in over your head. Start slow and work your way up. If there are others with you on the track, make damn sure you know where they are in reference to you and let them pass.
      07-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

I too am retired and now have done two track events with our 230i xDrive. I echo the comments of previous posters (I'm running the o.e. staggered Michelin PSS)

- Fronts are prone to rolling over... I recall starting with ~38psi cold in the fronts. I use the old shoe polish tire marking tip and monitor tire pressures. I set the screen to show me tire pressures and check after each session.
- Definitely suggest an event with in-car instruction. You can check Motorsportsreg.com for "Driving Schools" near you.
- Ensure you have sufficient brake pad remaining life and start with fresh fluid.
- Drive your car and drive your line; don't be concerned about faster cars. Many times they don't know the correct line; your instructor will be invaluable
and....

Have fun! The 2 series BMWs are great on the track and as daily drivers.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Lots of solid advice - great forum and community

BMW Car Club of America has a two day performance driving school with instructors August 27-28 at Road Atlanta ~$500. In Braselton , GA. About 2.4 hour from Cleveland ,TN. Off I85. 3 experience levels and class room instruction between session La to help become a better driver. It is a larger and potentially faster track but you and your instructor will determine a safe pace to allow you to learn the line and braking zones. I attended the Spring event
You will get a lot of feed back from classes and instructor.

https://www.bmwcca.org/event/272486

Bill
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      07-28-2022, 05:34 AM   #8
retcav
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Thanks for all the comments and advice...I'm going to do little Talladega on the 13th of August. Going with someone who is very familiar with the track but it is an open track day so not sure if instructors are available. If I enjoy it as much as I think I will, I'm going to participate in a couple of the driving schools then search for and buy a dedicated track car that I can hoon to my hearts content. I'll report back after the track day.
Appreciate 0