BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

DAPP?

I need your help. I have been reading conflicting comments. Some went as far as saying that DAPP cannot be used when driving on surface streets. Some say it is not useful for that purpose. Some say that they use it all the time on surface streets. Most of my driving will be on surface streets (light traffic). I don't drive that much (2 to 3 times a week). Occasionally I drive on the freeway.

The configurator lists those functions. I need opinions as to which functions would be useful when driving on surface streets? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to get it.

Active Driving Assistant Pro

Features like:
-Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant
-Lane Change Assistant
-Emergency Stop Assistant
-Evasion Aid assist the driver during critical driving situations, such as a health emergency or the sudden presence of vehicles or pedestrians in front of the car.

Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways

Traffic Jam Assistant provides partially automated steering input on certain roadways up to 40 MPH in suitable driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

DAPP can be enables anywhere anytime. Useful or not, it is really your call. Personally I found it as safety buffer for short drive, in town, surface road. . I am feeling tired or could potentially be distracted, I turn it on. For longer drives, I use it very often even with similar feature in other brand. Just keep in mind, it is safety or fratique mitigation, you should not 100% rely on it drive you home.
Appreciate 2
Brigitte485.50
Eugr72.50
      07-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
DAPP can be enables anywhere anytime. Useful or not, it is really your call. Personally I found it as safety buffer for short drive, in town, surface road. . I am feeling tired or could potentially be distracted, I turn it on. For longer drives, I use it very often even with similar feature in other brand. Just keep in mind, it is safety or fratique mitigation, you should not 100% rely on it drive you home.
"Safety" is very important to me...so I will definitely get it...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

It works on any road with lane markings. I use it mostly on the highways, but sometimes use it on streets too if I'm stuck in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 2
Brigitte485.50
Stoshu494.00
      07-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I just leave it turned on and let it do its thing, it knows when to enable its features. You do get some options in iDrive when setting it up as to how aggressive or mild to instruct it to help out so you can play around with that to find the setting you like the best. I think its a feature worth having and can tell you one thing, if you don't have it, you'll always be asking that same question
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      07-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I just leave it turned on and let it do its thing, it knows when to enable its features. You do get some options in iDrive when setting it up as to how aggressive or mild to instruct it to help out so you can play around with that to find the setting you like the best. I think its a feature worth having and can tell you one thing, if you don't have it, you'll always be asking that same question
I'm definitely getting it. If for anything...instead of asking that same question...I'll be answering it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I'm definitely getting it. If for anything...instead of asking that same question...I'll be answering it
I know when I buy a CPO, I have to take what I get so I try to get pretty close to what I want but there is usually something I don't get that I wanted and I complain to myself for years as to why I didn't look longer or harder. Sure, in the end, I might not use the feature but like I said previously, if its not there, I will always be wanting it

This time around, since BMW zapped many of the features/options I wanted on late model year 2021 and all of 2022, I decided to look for an early model year 2021. Took me 1.5yrs but I found it and the only thing I wanted that it didn't have is the spare tire option, so am buying one aftermarket. This time it was worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #8
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I know when I buy a CPO, I have to take what I get so I try to get pretty close to what I want but there is usually something I don't get that I wanted and I complain to myself for years as to why I didn't look longer or harder. Sure, in the end, I might not use the feature but like I said previously, if its not there, I will always be wanting it

This time around, since BMW zapped many of the features/options I wanted on late model year 2021 and all of 2022, I decided to look for an early model year 2021. Took me 1.5yrs but I found it and the only thing I wanted that it didn't have is the spare tire option, so am buying one aftermarket. This time it was worth the wait.
Good for you
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 09:01 PM   #9
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
That's the right answer. I debated it for a bit but ultimately ordered it. It is absolutely worth it. It's a godsend on long trips. The reduction in fatigue is very noticeable.

As others said, lane markings are everything. If there is a problem, DAPP beeps and flashes the icon telling you you have to steer. It normally resumes after just a few seconds. Some things I've learned to watch for:

Intersections: Depending on the size and how they're striped DAPP will stop tracking. It will resume after you get through the intersection.

Bad/low contrast striping: We have an elevated section of freeway near here that is white concrete with white stripes that have thin black lines to help the contrast. They're hard for me to see in some lighting. Depending on the sun, DAPP frequently loses it.

Construction zones where lanes have shifted several times. Sometimes the old(removed stripes) are still visible and DAPP tries to follow the wrong lines.

Expanding number of lanes/turn lanes: In that initial section where lines defining your lane starts to expand to two lanes and you haven't reached the stripes separating the lanes, DAPP will try to keep you in the 'center' of the widening lane. It just takes a bit of steering to hold your lane until it picks up the new stripes.

But those are all minor annoyances. The lane keeping, distance keeping, and auto lane changes are worth it. And in heavy backed-up traffic, the Advanced Traffic Jam Assistant is wonderful. Just watch it do its thing.

Gerry
Brigitte485.50
      07-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #10
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
That's the right answer. I debated it for a bit but ultimately ordered it. It is absolutely worth it. It's a godsend on long trips. The reduction in fatigue is very noticeable.

As others said, lane markings are everything. If there is a problem, DAPP beeps and flashes the icon telling you you have to steer. It normally resumes after just a few seconds. Some things I've learned to watch for:

Intersections: Depending on the size and how they're striped DAPP will stop tracking. It will resume after you get through the intersection.

Bad/low contrast striping: We have an elevated section of freeway near here that is white concrete with white stripes that have thin black lines to help the contrast. They're hard for me to see in some lighting. Depending on the sun, DAPP frequently loses it.

Construction zones where lanes have shifted several times. Sometimes the old(removed stripes) are still visible and DAPP tries to follow the wrong lines.

Expanding number of lanes/turn lanes: In that initial section where lines defining your lane starts to expand to two lanes and you haven't reached the stripes separating the lanes, DAPP will try to keep you in the 'center' of the widening lane. It just takes a bit of steering to hold your lane until it picks up the new stripes.

But those are all minor annoyances. The lane keeping, distance keeping, and auto lane changes are worth it. And in heavy backed-up traffic, the Advanced Traffic Jam Assistant is wonderful. Just watch it do its thing.

Gerry
Thanks for your insight. You said "Advanced Traffic Jam Assistant is wonderful". Would you please elaborate on what that function does?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:16 PM   #11
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. You said "Advanced Traffic Jam Assistant is wonderful". Would you please elaborate on what that function does?
I will answer for him, if that’s all right…

It is hands free driving on stop and go traffic under 40 mph on highways. Here in Houston coming back home it is indeed a great great help - 1.5 hr drive home for me
      07-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #12
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondi View Post
I will answer for him, if that’s all right…

It is hands free driving on stop and go traffic under 40 mph on highways. Here in Houston coming back home it is indeed a great great help - 1.5 hr drive home for me
Thanks for answering my question. You said "on highways". Can it be used on surface streets?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:30 PM   #13
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

No, it does not activate on Neighborhood local streets, but the lane keeping and smart cruise control is sufficient for local streets
      07-23-2022, 10:32 PM   #14
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondi View Post
No, it does not activate on Neighborhood local streets, but the lane keeping and smart cruise control is sufficient for local streets
Thanks...that's good to know!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:43 PM   #15
EngineGoBrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, 2023 X1

Traffic Jam Assist works pretty well in traffic <40mph on highways only. It uses the camera in the dash to track your eyes so you will need to constantly look at the road. Not sure if others experienced this, but I wear glasses and about 1/10 times it deactivates on me as it can't track my eyes. I've even tried staring into the camera and the deactivation warning just keeps going off
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      07-23-2022, 11:15 PM   #16
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineGoBrrr View Post
Traffic Jam Assist works pretty well in traffic <40mph on highways only. It uses the camera in the dash to track your eyes so you will need to constantly look at the road. Not sure if others experienced this, but I wear glasses and about 1/10 times it deactivates on me as it can't track my eyes. I've even tried staring into the camera and the deactivation warning just keeps going off
I'm wondering why it only activates on highways?! Maybe because surface streets have traffic lights...stop signs...etc which the driver assistant cannot recognize...

BTW...I wear eyeglasses/prescription sunglasses...so I will have the same problem you're having.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 02:16 AM   #17
EngineGoBrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, 2023 X1

Interestingly enough it only happened when wearing prescription glasses. It never happened when I wore non prescription sunglasses.

As for why only highways, these systems are fairly new and very prone to errors. A divided highway has a lot less variables than say a school zone. It definitely helps take the stress away in traffic, but sometimes it feels like a being driven by a teenage driver. Though I must say the BMW system is quite good compared to other manufacturers. It was the first option I checked and well worth it in my book.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      07-24-2022, 02:27 AM   #18
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineGoBrrr View Post
Interestingly enough it only happened when wearing prescription glasses. It never happened when I wore non prescription sunglasses.
I think the camera is looking at infrared spectrum, where they see through our sunglasses material. I used it today with Oakley black ice iridum lens, it sees my eyes just fine. But I do think the warming is too sensitive. If I look at instrument panel or even HUD, it will give me some warming
      07-24-2022, 06:51 AM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
BTW...I wear eyeglasses/prescription sunglasses...so I will have the same problem you're having.
Unlikely you will, very, very few people (a handful or so) have reported a problem like that with the camera. I wear prescription glasses and never had that issue. It seems to be more tied to facial structure from what a couple people have said.

It is an optical camera that uses infra-red for lighting.
      07-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #20
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

It really is a cool feature. There's no way I know of to activate it manually. It just flashes on when it senses the conditions are right and you can then decide whether to activate it. I was in a 30-minute construction zone -- stop, go 10 feet, stop, repeat. It completely took over. I could have read a book.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      07-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #21
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugr View Post
It works on any road with lane markings. I use it mostly on the highways, but sometimes use it on streets too if I'm stuck in stop and go traffic.
Actually it works on all roads, if there are no markings or poor ones lane keeping is disabled and it warns you to maintain steering control.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #22
gschlact2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
As a heads up, DAPP will require the Executive Package, and possibly more.
Appreciate 0