BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    No Power From Mirror Tap

07-21-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
I've been using AGS's extremely helpful mirror tap write up for a few years, on two cars, every time I need to uninstall or reinstall.

A couple of weeks ago, on a really hot day, the suction cups warped from the heat, and the radar detector fell with a pretty decent jolt. The radar detector stopped working, so I ordered another mirror tap, popped open the write up, and used needle nose pliers to get the two leads in to the correct slots. No power to the radar detector. Thought for a split second that maybe the radar detector crapped out on me. Grabbed another Cobra I have that uses the same male end plug, and tested the mirror tap; no power to that one either with the new mirror tap. Plugged in both Cobras with the supplied coiled 12 volt plug, both worked just fine.

After the jolt happened, and I uninstalled the cover to attempt to push the leads back in, I got a iDrive notification for a split second that the rain sensor and automated wipers weren't working. It disappeared, and I put the cover back on. The HomeLink buttons are responsive; they generate the orange indicator light when pressed.

The male end of the plug where the leads go into is seated all the way in the female end.

Has anyone had this happen where your mirror tap isn't transmitting power? How did you resolve it? There are plenty of hardwired/mirror tap radar detector threads, but I couldn't find anyone having this issue, let alone a resolution for it.

Thank you all in advance!

P.S. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Thank you AGS!
      07-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
DGM M5C
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2022 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Never had it not provide power, but have thought the pins were seated in the right slot only to find out they weren’t. That’s the only thing I could think might be happening. I’ve done mirror taps on my cars for the past decade and rarely does one get installed perfect the first time.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG M5C View Post
Never had it not provide power, but have thought the pins were seated in the right slot only to find out they weren't. That's the only thing I could think might be happening. I've done mirror taps on my cars for the past decade and rarely does one get installed perfect the first time.
I was hoping it was something as simple that, so I checked connections and placement several times. I did three complete separate uninstall/reinstall/uninstalls Unfortunately, no dice. Thank you for trying!
      07-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #4
DGM M5C
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I was hoping it was something as simple that, so I checked connections and placement several times. I did three complete separate uninstall/reinstall/uninstalls Unfortunately, no dice. Thank you for trying!
I wonder if the fuse blew and that’s why the iDrive message went away. Throw some water on the windshield and see if it works. I don’t know….just thinking outside the box if you’re not able to run a voltmeter to the connections and verify if they are providing power.

Other than that, I’ve got nothing. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2022, 10:58 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG M5C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I wonder if the fuse blew and that's why the iDrive message went away. Throw some water on the windshield and see if it works. I don't know….just thinking outside the box if you're not able to run a voltmeter to the connections and verify if they are providing power.

Other than that, I've got nothing. Good luck.
I think there is power since the orange indicator light illuminates when pressing a HomeLink button, and the auto dimming function of the rear view mirror is working, but the next step is get a voltmeter in there. I'll take all the help I can get, inside the box or not. Thank you very much!
      07-22-2022, 07:06 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

After you get it fixed, splurge on the Blendmount so the detector does not fall again.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #7
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I find the plug you insert the mirror tap into to be very finicky. When I was moving it to my 2022 M5C it took me 15-20 minutes to get solid, uninterrupted contact. I had to slide the blades down different sides of the wires on the back of the plug.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
After you get it fixed, splurge on the Blendmount so the detector does not fall again.
Excellent advice, thank you very much! Just checked out their website. I'll definitely be ordering once I figure out the electric issue.
      07-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I find the plug you insert the mirror tap into to be very finicky. When I was moving it to my 2022 M5C it took me 15-20 minutes to get solid, uninterrupted contact. I had to slide the blades down different sides of the wires on the back of the plug.
Thank you so much for the input! I am going to try to get a good connection again later today. In the past, because of your write up, I've gotten it to power up in seconds with one push each and every time. That's why I assumed I wasn't getting power. I'll report back again!
      07-22-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
DGM M5C
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
That's what I said. Great minds think alike...or we just have the same experiences!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
AGS, I tried to get a better connection today based on your comments, and tried multiple variations of which side to put it around the existing plugged in wires. Still no go. I think there's a power delivery issue from the jolt of the radar detector falling, but my voltmeter leads are too thick to get into the holes on the backside of the wiring harness to confirm. Will order one with thinner leads this evening and check when it comes to confirm.
      12-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
RESOLVED:

Coming back to this old thread with what happened at the dealer (almost 4 months later) so that it may help someone else.

Though I ended up not getting charged for this for unrelated reasons (another thread coming soon), $200 (a full hour of diagnostic labor) is steep for what couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes.

If you have this issue, you can likely resolve it yourself. I should have been able to, but didn't.
Attached Images