BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
Oligarch
Rep
Drives: None yet!

Feedback on my planned x45e specs?

Hi All,

Getting ready to order an x45e with plans to collect at the factory in SC – partly to avoid dealer fluff and partly to give me a chance to have a nice experience with my dad, who is an avid auto enthusiast.

My wife and I live in Boston. We are both tall at 6’1”, and are expecting our first child in a few months’ time. For the moment, this is the only car we will have, and so need this as an all-purpose car.

Being able to handle Boston’s horrible streets – potholes and all – is key, doubly so in winter with the snow. The plan is to buy this new and hold onto it for a number of years, so trying to think ahead in the configurations.

Below is what I’m thinking

Manhattan green metallic – loved this color after seeing it in person
19” wheels – mainly to ensure max cushioning on potholed streets
Merino leather interior – torn between Tartufo, which we’ve seen, and Coffee, which we have not yet, but trying to arrange an in person comaprison
Poplar matte finish wood trim
Climate comfort package – given the cold winters, although curious on views on this
Driving Assistance Pro Package
Executive Package – largely so that we can get real leather seats, which are important to me
Parking Assistance Package – mainly for the cameras and sensors, not for automated parking
Multi-contour seats – everyone seems to rave about them
HK sound – seems like a small price to pay all things considered

I’m thinking of NOT selecting the following:

Luxury Seating Package – feedback seems to be ventilated seats and massage function not that remarkable
Running boards – seem to be of limited use given our height
Wireless Charging and Wifi – feedback seems to be that phones overheat
Antracite headliner – Not sure of benefits, and I prefer more real leather than less in the car

Any strong views regarding what I’ve included/omitted?

Thanks for all your help and guidance!

Last edited by Oligarch; 07-18-2022 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
Brigitte485.50
cptcolo103.50
      07-18-2022, 10:21 PM   #2
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I think you've thought this through very well.

You're probably fine getting the 20" wheels with all-seasons. As a point of reference, I'm in Chicago where the streets are equally as terrible, and we have similar weather as Boston, and my 20" M-Sport all-season setup does just fine.

I think the Tartufo is special. Get that over coffee.

Multi-contours are a must. And when you do that, the Luxury seating doesn't add a significant extra cost, so while the massage function isn't exactly a 70-year old Thai lady stepping on your back, if you do take trips of any length, it is a nice feature.

The only thing I see missing is the Driver Assistance Pro, although that might not be available these days due to chip shortage.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oligarch View Post
Hi All,

Getting ready to order an x45e with plans to collect at the factory in SC – partly to avoid dealer fluff and partly to give me a chance to have a nice experience with my dad, who is an avid auto enthusiast.

My wife and I live in Boston. We are both tall at 6’1”, and are expecting our first child in a few months’ time. For the moment, this is the only car we will have, and so need this as an all-purpose car.

Being able to handle Boston’s horrible streets – potholes and all – is key, doubly so in winter with the snow. The plan is to buy this new and hold onto it for a number of years, so trying to think ahead in the configurations.

Below is what I’m thinking

Manhattan green metallic – loved this color after seeing it in person
19” wheels – mainly to ensure max cushioning on potholed streets
Merino leather interior – torn between Tartufo, which we’ve seen, and Coffee, which we have not yet, but trying to arrange an in person comaprison
Poplar matte finish wood trim
Climate comfort package – given the cold winters, although curious on views on this
Executive Package – largely so that we can get real leather seats, which are important to me
Parking Assistance Package – mainly for the cameras and sensors, not for automated parking
Multi-contour seats – everyone seems to rave about them
HK sound – seems like a small price to pay all things considered

I’m thinking of NOT selecting the following:

Luxury Seating Package – feedback seems to be ventilated seats and massage function not that remarkable
Running boards – seem to be of limited use given our height
Wireless Charging and Wifi – feedback seems to be that phones overheat
Antracite headliner – Not sure of benefits, and I prefer more real leather than less in the car

Any strong views regarding what I’ve included/omitted?

Thanks for all your help and guidance!
You did a great job!

I'm also getting the MGM exterior...I was between the Sensafin Cognac and the Coffee. Cognac is similar to the Tartufo color. I compared both colors against the MGM (in pictures only). Coffee makes the MGM color pop and look brighter/lighter in contrast. So I will probably go for Coffee. I also wanted to get the M Sport package to get the glossy black grille which also makes the MGM color pop and look brighter/lighter. However, we cannot order the running boards with the M Sport package...unfortunately. So I have to make sure I can get in the car with ease without the running boards...otherwise...I won't get the M Sport package
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 10:39 PM   #4
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Don't sleep on the anthracite headliner, it classes up the interior. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't reduce the amount of leather in the interior. I echo the prior comments on adding the luxury seating package. DAP is a must if available. I would never buy a car without adaptive cruise control.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
Oligarch
Rep

Thanks for all the prompt feedback!

I was planning on taking DAP, but missed including that in my original post's list. Have edited that to fix it.

DonKeedic, thanks for the input. Frankly, looking at the BMW order page, I thought the "headliner" referred to the headrests on the seats. Now I realize it is the covering on the ceiling/sunroof of the car. I will take a closer look at that. They really ought to do a better job of showing what they're referring to in the pictures and accompanying text online!!
Appreciate 1
DonKeedic180.50
      07-18-2022, 11:04 PM   #6
Oligarch
Rep

Thinking about the luxury seating package, if I go with it, I understand the seats are "ventilated" and therefore have perforations in the leather.

If I do as planned, and forgo the package, do the non-ventilated seats still have perforations -- just non-functional? Or do the non-ventilated seats have leather without perforations? Not clear to me from the online configurator photos.

I'm a bit of a leather buff, so all else equal would like to avoid seeing holes in the leather if possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #7
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oligarch View Post
Thinking about the luxury seating package, if I go with it, I understand the seats are "ventilated" and therefore have perforations in the leather.

If I do as planned, and forgo the package, do the non-ventilated seats still have perforations -- just non-functional? Or do the non-ventilated seats have leather without perforations? Not clear to me from the online configurator photos.

I'm a bit of a leather buff, so all else equal would like to avoid seeing holes in the leather if possible.
To my eye they have no perforations. I selected a light color leather "Ivory White" as you can see the details much better while increasing the brightness of the screen...I zoomed on it....I didn't see any perforations. I did the same thing with the Sensafin Cognac...you can clearly see the perforations.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
I will mention that with Merino leather, it won't be perforated without the luxury seating package. The ventilation isn't super strong but it's definitely better than non-perforated leather when it's hot out. It's usually under freezing for like 3 months straight here, but it also gets hot enough in the summer that I thought ventilated seats were a must.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:22 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Great build. It appears a major package you're also bypassing is M Sport, which is a cosmetic upgrade.

I think you should consider running boards. Other than that, also a trailer hitch, if available.

I did not pick Driving assistance, as after reading and watching reviews on youtube, I doubt I would use it.

I elected 4 zone climate as a standalone in lieu of climate package as I only valued that feature for my kids. They're still in car seats so rear seat heater would have been minimal use.

Lastly, I regretting ordering premium package (I also passed on the executive). While I use gesture control a lot, it's a nice to have, and I very rarely use HUD, as live cockpit and idrive screen makes the info redundant

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-18-2022 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
cptcolo103.50
      07-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #10
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpak View Post
I will mention that with Merino leather, it won't be perforated without the luxury seating package. The ventilation isn't super strong but it's definitely better than non-perforated leather when it's hot out. It's usually under freezing for like 3 months straight here, but it also gets hot enough in the summer that I thought ventilated seats were a must.
What I heard is that ventilation uses the air inside the car. So if the car was sitting baking in the sun and the seats were very hot...it would take a while for ventilation to make a difference. I'm just referring to posts I've read about it. I have no personal experience.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:29 PM   #11
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Great build. It appears a major package you're also bypassing is M Sport, which is a cosmetic upgrade.

I think you should consider running boards. Other than that, also a trailer hitch, if available.

I did not pick Driving assistance, as after reading and watching reviews on youtube, I doubt I would use it
Unfortunately...we cannot have both the M Sport and the running boards. It's one or the other! I want both
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:31 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Unfortunately...we cannot have both the M Sport and the running boards. It's one or the other! I want both
Yep, I know. That's okay. Just saying that running boards are great if you option it with x-line.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:32 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
What I heard is that ventilation uses the air inside the car. So if the car was sitting baking in the sun and the seats were very hot...it would take a while for ventilation to make a difference. I'm just referring to posts I've read about it. I have no personal experience.
Correct, it's only air circulation, not AC. Had it on my M6, it's meh ..
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      07-18-2022, 11:41 PM   #14
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I know. That's okay. Just saying that running boards are great if you option it with x-line.
"Step-in" height is extremely important to me. So if I have difficulty getting in/out of the car...I will have to sacrifice not getting the M Sport package which I really really want. I need to find a 45e to try it by lowering it to the lowest level! So far I couldn't find one. I even tried to get the measurement from ground to the door sill...even Genius doesn't have this information. It's frustrating as step-in height is an important piece of information that should be provided.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:42 PM   #15
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:

I did not pick Driving assistance, as after reading and watching reviews on youtube, I doubt I would use it.

I elected 4 zone climate as a standalone in lieu of climate package as I only valued that feature for my kids. They're still in car seats so rear seat heater would have been minimal use.

Lastly, I regretting ordering premium package (I also passed on the executive). While I use gesture control a lot, it's a nice to have, and I very rarely use HUD, as live cockpit and idrive screen makes the info redundant
Just want to share how personal choice can differ.

I use DAP a lot. We had Infiniti version in our qx60. On long trip, we use it all the time. Not that we completely rely on it, it is just a safety backup. I also like x5’s hud.

What I don’t use or don’t care is gesture, sky lounge roof or glass crystal shift knob at all. If I could get some money back by deleting them, I will.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:46 PM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Step-in" height is extremely important to me. So if I have difficulty getting in/out of the car...I will have to sacrifice not getting the M Sport package which I really really want. I need to find a 45e to try it by lowering it to the lowest level! So far I couldn't find one. I even tried to get the measurement from ground to the door sill...even Genius doesn't have this information. It's frustrating as step-in height is an important piece of information that should be provided.
It isn’t lowered by much. Maybe 1” at most from nominal height. If you have issue with 40i, you will have issue with 45e at low setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:55 PM   #17
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
It isn’t lowered by much. Maybe 1” at most from nominal height. If you have issue with 40i, you will have issue with 45e at low setting.
According to Genius...there is 3" between the highest level and the lowest level. However, he didn't know how many inches high is the highest level...I would have simply calculated it. And he said there is a third level in between...he referred to it as the standard height. Again no measurements!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:07 AM   #18
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I ordered an almost identical 45e just in msport. I would talk to your SA, we chatted about the options & colors I was on the fence on and she had 6 vehicles driven to the parking lot and I was able to sit and look at all the seat options & colors. Extremely helpful, definitely go in person. I ended up changing my build significantly.

19" wheels - you can go to 20" if you prefer, I'll bet Chicago streets are as bad as Boston and it's fine. You'll have air suspension as well.

Climate Comfort - Your newborn will be in a carseat for the life of the car (unless you're keeping it for an exceptionally long time) so the rear heated seats would only be for an adult backseat passenger. If you don't get this, definitely still get the heated wheel & armrest.

Executive Package - is this required for Merino now? That's odd but worth it for the merino & multi-contour.

I would recommend coating your merino with a SiO2 when you take delivery. The factory coating isn't very thick on this leather at all. I used Gyeon, since they don't have added odor that all other leather products use and it doesn't affect the feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:14 AM   #19
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
According to Genius...there is 3" between the highest level and the lowest level. However, he didn't know how many inches high is the highest level...I would have simply calculated it. And he said there is a third level in between...he referred to it as the standard height. Again no measurements!
It as 5 level of setting, let's say 1-5, where 5 is the highest. The typical mode, say hybrid, adaptive, you are at level 3. So when you lower to 1, you get -1.5'. The lowest level isn't available for any drive mode, it is only for loading. To get there, you have to put the car into park (don't open door), lower the setting to , wait 10 second to get there, then open door to get out. Once door open height change will stop. In this case, you get the exist benefit with 10 seconds delay (maybe 7) maybe. The catch is once you exit, close door and lock, the car goes back to level of the last drive mode, so lowest is 2. When you return to enter the car, it is at level 2, so no benefit for entry. This is my observation of the behavior. So if the car is too high for you, that +/-1.5" is NOT the answer. You need a lot more than -1.5" to make a difference
Brigitte485.50
      07-19-2022, 12:28 AM   #20
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Get the luxury seating package - the drive from SC to Boston will convince you that the massage function was worth it.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 12:37 AM   #21
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
It as 5 level of setting, let's say 1-5, where 5 is the highest. The typical mode, say hybrid, adaptive, you are at level 3. So when you lower to 1, you get -1.5'. The lowest level isn't available for any drive mode, it is only for loading. To get there, you have to put the car into park (don't open door), lower the setting to , wait 10 second to get there, then open door to get out. Once door open height change will stop. In this case, you get the exist benefit with 10 seconds delay (maybe 7) maybe. The catch is once you exit, close door and lock, the car goes back to level of the last drive mode, so lowest is 2. When you return to enter the car, it is at level 2, so no benefit for entry. This is my observation of the behavior. So if the car is too high for you, that +/-1.5" is NOT the answer. You need a lot more than -1.5" to make a difference
Thanks...let's say I lowered it to the load level to exit. When I'm ready to enter the car again...is there a button in the trunk or on the key fob that I can use to lower it to the load level again? Then wait a few seconds...open the door to get in?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:50 AM   #22
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks...let's say I lowered it to the load level to exit. When I'm ready to enter the car again...is there a button in the trunk or on the key fob that I can use to lower it to the load level again? Then wait a few seconds...open the door to get in?
Bottom on trunk lower gate. Not on keyfob. I think nZtiZia described the exact behavior in another thread perfectlly. But then the random bug hit often enough that it will bother you if you are counting on returning to load level.