BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

07-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

C/D: BMW M240i vs Ford Mustang Mach1 vs Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra 3.0

Comparison Test: 2022 BMW M240i vs. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 vs. 2023 Nissan Z vs. 2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0

Name:  2022-bmw-m240i-vs-2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-2023-nissan-z-2022-toyota-gr-supra-30-comparison-102-.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  77.0 KB

Overall Scoring:
1st Place: Ford Mustang Mach1
Highs: Intoxicating engine note, massive buckets of grip, comfy Recaros hold on tight.
Lows: Not a drag-strip hero, abysmal fuel economy, rental-Mustang interior.
Verdict: Endless joy on a winding road—or in a tunnel.

2nd Place: Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Highs: Quick in a straight line, balanced handling and braking, steering has more life than the true BMW.
Lows: Claustrophobic cabin, highest base price, no manual (yet).
Verdict: A well-rounded sports car.

3rd Place: 2022 BMW M240i xDrive
Highs: Impressively quick, flexible interior, lowest base price.
Lows: Small seats are hard, overdamped suspension, no manual.
Verdict: The best everyday car here is too stiff for its own good.

4th Place: Nissan Z Performance
Highs: Lowest as-tested price, Z heritage styling largely works inside and out, six-speed manual transmission.
Lows: Needs more aggressive tires, underdamped suspension feels like it's up on tiptoes, carries over a lot from the old 370Z.
Verdict: If Nissan doesn't release a NISMO version, the Z's fate may fall to the aftermarket.

Thoughts on the M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
We're big fans of the M240i xDrive, and this third-place finish hasn't changed that. It is by far the most practical sporting machine here, with its trunk and back seat (the latter of which folds to expand the former), as well as the inherent acceleration advantage of all-wheel drive. It also sports the lowest starting price of the group, though a slew of options ballooned the number to second highest.

"REMEMBER WHEN BMW GAUGES WERE EASY TO READ? DESPITE THE M240I'S PORTLY 3864-POUND CURB WEIGHT, ITS ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE SYSTEM HELPED IT HIT 60 IN 3.6 SECONDS."

It's quick, thanks to a healthy 382-hp turbocharged inline-six and an eight-speed automatic that work brilliantly together. The superior launch traction of xDrive is the ace in the hole shot, and it gave the BMW an initial start-line lead it never relinquished on the way to a 3.6-second 60-mph run and a 12.1-second quarter-mile. But anyone who's ever driven all-wheel drive in snow will tell you it means little when it comes to turning and braking. And so it was at the track, where the M240i's highest-in-test mass (3864 pounds) and relatively narrow rubber led to a 0.98-g skidpad performance and a 70-mph stop of 153 feet. Respectable numbers, but only good for third in this group.

On the wild back roads of California, no one called out the BMW for lacking grip or braking prowess. We pushed it hard on any number of challenging roads, and it proved tenacious. Its front end will break free slightly earlier than the Supra's, but the bigger issue is the stiffness of the suspension, particularly the damping. The M240i feels harsh and overdamped outside a smooth racetrack and a little unsettled by rough pavement in the canyons. It never relaxes and takes a breath. You get the feeling it might twitch sideways at the wrong moment, even though it never does.

The seats don't help. The upper reaches of the backrest are flat, and the taller folks among us were hanging on to the steering wheel for lateral support. While the bolsters are adjustable, there's nothing in the shoulder area to work with. They're also ropey and firm, which gets tiring after a long day in the saddle and does little to filter out any of the road imperfections coming up through the suspension. A better seat and more suspension compliance would help the quickest car here be more in tune with its incredible acceleration.
Performance Data
Comparison - M240i, Mach 1, Supra, Z Performance Data.pdf
Red_sir134.50
      07-05-2022, 03:16 PM   #2
steelatx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I read this in the AM, really cool write up. Shocked the mustang took the crown here. I never imagined mustang and handling being in the same sentence before. It's cool to see that the m240i is the fastest of the bunch!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelatx View Post
I read this in the AM, really cool write up. Shocked the mustang took the crown here. I never imagined mustang and handling being in the same sentence before. It's cool to see that the m240i is the fastest of the bunch!
The latest Mustang is pretty good now that they've given it IRS (previous Mustangs except few variants had a solid rear axle). The GT350 especially was just excellent. I drove one a few years back and it honestly felt like an American take on the E92 M3, but much much louder with a ton of soul. A lot of the Mach1 borrows from the GT350 so that gives it a lot of athleticism.
      07-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
HotsauzF82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i X-Drive

Garage List
Well, from the real world drivers out there that already have taken delivery of their G42's.

How do the seats really feel? By the looks of them, they look very similar to what was available to us here in the U.S on the G01 X3 M40i. Those seats were decently comfortable. Not the greatest seats for comfort, but did provide decent lateral grip when cornering to keep your body in place. Overall comfortable though IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
steelatx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsauzF82 View Post
Well, from the real world drivers out there that already have taken delivery of their G42's.

How do the seats really feel? By the looks of them, they look very similar to what was available to us here in the U.S on the G01 X3 M40i. Those seats were decently comfortable. Not the greatest seats for comfort, but did provide decent lateral grip when cornering to keep your body in place. Overall comfortable though IMHO.

They are better than my 2017 230i leather seats, but they are still hard as a rock and not as comfortable as I'd hope. Bmw Def. Has better leather in their higher end vehicles. Something rubs me the wrong way about spending $60k on a car without real leather, but truthfully, the sensatec is more comfortable. I do love the look with the blue contrast stitching a ton tho. So it'd a trade off. And by no means am I upset with my purchase. I just wanted to give an objective opinion on the comfort. It's meh. BUT the reviewer is dead wrong about the car being spastic and uncomfortable from a ride perspective (excluding seats). This thing is compliant in every way.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
BUT the reviewer is dead wrong about the car being spastic and uncomfortable from a ride perspective (excluding seats). This thing is compliant in every way.
I agree with the above, compliant and i felt the seats are comfortable in the long haul, at least compared with my previous vehicle.

Mach1 vs M240x. Actually when i was shopping for my 2022 car those two were at the top of my list. For a few minor reasons i went with the BMW. One the Mach 1 performance pack would not be built until later in the build cycle and i did not want to wait 6-8 months. Also no dealer around here would deal, whereas on the east coast i could order a Mach 1 at 2percent BELOW invoice...problem was shipping costs have skyrocketed and would eat up that difference, and then finally the gas mileage is so horrendous for that Mach1 band it was to be my daily driver. It was a tough call since i wanted a manual and love that Ford V8. Every time i hear one i am a bit envious (just the kid in me). Frankly with the gas prices as is, i would not be wanting to pay for gas for that beast.

Last edited by danallxt; 07-06-2022 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      07-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I agree with the above, compliant and i felt the seats are comfortable in the long haul, at least compared with my previous vehicle.

Mach1 vs M240x. Actually when i was shopping for my 2022 car those two were at the top of my list. For a few minor reasons i went with the BMW. One the Mach 1 performance pack would not be built until later in the build cycle and i did not want to wait 6-8 months. Also no dealer around here would deal, whereas on the east coast i could order a Mach 1 at 2percent BELOW invoice...problem was shipping costs have skyrocketed and would eat up that difference, and then finally the gas mileage is so horrendous for that Mach1 band it was to be my daily driver. It was a tough call since i wanted a manual and love that Ford V8. Every time i hear one i am a bit envious (just the kid in me). Frankly with the gas prices as is, i would not be wanting to pay for gas for that beast.

C & D is in love with “old school” RWD, V-8s and manuals. Even though, in this case, they are slower to 60 MPH, less capable in wet or inclement weather and guzzle $6 per gallon gasoline.

Living with a car on a daily bases is a lot different than driving it through the canyons for “fun” and then returning the cars to the manufacturers.

The Mustang’s “Avis-like” interior, overall build quality, much less capable in wet and inclement weather and the fact that it gets 16 MPG in the city, which, as we all know, is really around 13 MPG if you intend to drive it like a Mustang, are some of the reasons that I did not select a Mustang over the M240i.

The Z, the Supra and the Mustang all make fun second or weekend cars for sure. But I need a car that is “both” fun, more useable, more livable and more efficient “as a daily”. The M240i checked all the boxes and then some and was the “easy” winner.

I also agree that the reviewer is dead wrong about the M240i being spastic or uncomfortable. The M240i is not only comfortable and compliant but corners like its on rails, even on wet roads – try that with the a Mustang.

I do like Mustangs. Back in the day I owned 2, V-8 Mustangs. And a couple of years ago, I took one for a test drive. But reality and the M240i easily won out. Still loving the BMW M240i, every time I get in it!

Bob
Appreciate 6
      07-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
C & D is in love with “old school” RWD, V-8s and manuals. Even though, in this case, they are slower to 60 MPH, less capable in wet or inclement weather and guzzle $6 per gallon gasoline.

Living with a car on a daily bases is a lot different than driving it through the canyons for “fun” and then returning the cars to the manufacturers.

The Mustang’s “Avis-like” interior, overall build quality, much less capable in wet and inclement weather and the fact that it gets 16 MPG in the city, which, as we all know, is really around 13 MPG if you intend to drive it like a Mustang, are some of the reasons that I did not select a Mustang over the M240i.

The Z, the Supra and the Mustang all make fun second or weekend cars for sure. But I need a car that is “both” fun, more useable, more livable and more efficient “as a daily”. The M240i checked all the boxes and then some and was the “easy” winner.

I also agree that the reviewer is dead wrong about the M240i being spastic or uncomfortable. The M240i is not only comfortable and compliant but corners like its on rails, even on wet roads – try that with the a Mustang.

I do like Mustangs. Back in the day I owned 2, V-8 Mustangs. And a couple of years ago, I took one for a test drive. But reality and the M240i easily won out. Still loving the BMW M240i, every time I get in it!

Bob
>But reality and the M240i easily won out. Still loving the BMW M240i, every time I get in it!

It really just comes down to your preferences. Want a more engaging driving experience with a more enthusiast-oriented engine and transmission? Get the Mach.

Want all-around comfort in a good chassis while still going balls-fast? Get the M240i.

Who cares about the numbers unless you want to protect your ego at stoplights.

I'm sure priorities change with age. I had a GT350 that I DD'd without any issue (except for everything reliability-related lol) and wouldn't have given it up for an M2 or even M3/M4, but if I were older I'd probably want something less shouty, more relaxed, and more economical.

Wouldn't stress placement as much as overall comments and critique in articles like these.
Appreciate 1
tooly78.00
      07-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #9
JPM-3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 2022 Supra, 2023 RS 3

The near identical 60-130 times between the Supra and much heavier M240xi seems a bit suspect if these cars were all tested on the same day. Same with 1/4 mile trap speed.
      07-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Ford, but...

The Mach 1, while a very cool car, and may be rated #1 here, but it has a huge problem (IMO)...it is built by Ford, and worse, sold and serviced by Ford Dealers. Ford's dealer network is abysmal and can ruin any car ownership experience should you need their support. Oh, yeah, I've been there a few times!

Otherwise, buy the Ford and enjoy...with a little luck, you won't need to go back to the dealer. (I do love my Mustang, though)
Attached Images

Last edited by Dinosoar; 07-07-2022 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Adding Pic
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #11
jbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 30i , 1990 Miata Turbo

Most of this article was not surprising, except for the part about the M240 having an over-dampened suspension. In my 4000 miles of experience, sport mode is compliant, in fact to me it is not stiff enough. This is something the BMW product manager also agreed with me about. Comfort mode is very very compliant. Passengers are always remarking about how smooth the ride is.

I needed a 4 season car that could handle hilly & wisty terrain in bad weather, M240 was 100% the best option for me. I looked at the Mach1 and Supra, and have respect for both. Someone mentioned dealers, and really I don't have the patience for Ford or toyota dealers anymore.
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2022, 09:57 PM   #12
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you look at the scoring sheet and total the 3 main categories of Vehicle, Powertrain, and Chassis, the BMW is ahead of the Mach1. It is the last category of Experience-Fun to drive that the Mach 1 totally overshadows the others with a score of 25 out of possible 25 while the BMW gets a lowly 16, seems like a big gap. That difference of 9 points put the Mach1 4 points ahead of the BMW in the total tally.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4266.00
      07-07-2022, 10:14 PM   #13
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Intrigued by the M240i's Engine NVH score. The B58 is one of the smoothest, most effortless engines I've ever experienced. Excellent performance available throughout the rev range with near-instant response. It sounds fantastic, too, though probably not enough if you have a strong affinity for American V8s.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 10:27 PM   #14
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Intrigued by the M240i's Engine NVH score. The B58 is one of the smoothest, most effortless engines I've ever experienced. Excellent performance available throughout the rev range with near-instant response. It sounds fantastic, too, though probably not enough if you have a strong affinity for American V8s.
I totally agree with you, relative to NVH there is no way an objective scoring would rank that V8 (as much as i like it) above the smoothness of the inline 6. There is perhaps no engine more naturally balanced than an inline 6. Someone blew it there at C&D.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      07-08-2022, 01:32 AM   #15
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you look at the scoring sheet and total the 3 main categories of Vehicle, Powertrain, and Chassis, the BMW is ahead of the Mach1. It is the last category of Experience-Fun to drive that the Mach 1 totally overshadows the others with a score of 25 out of possible 25 while the BMW gets a lowly 16, seems like a big gap. That difference of 9 points put the Mach1 4 points ahead of the BMW in the total tally.
Worth noting Ford delivered a Mach 1 with the rear seat delete option (lol) which docked it with 0s across two categories. I'm sure that knocked at least 3-5 points off of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #16
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:

I have a 2022 manual GT. The 5.0L V8 is the only thing that keeps it relevant I my mind. If they stopped offering the V8 engine I would lose interest in them. In a world moving to electric/hybrid it is nice to get to experience some of the last great V8 engines though.

The M240i is the overall such a better car though. Specially for daily driving.
Appreciate 2
KJ10498.50
tooly78.00
      07-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #17
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Decent review, but you really have to dive into the categorical rankings to adjust for your own opinion.

For instance gas mileage, the Mustang is absolutely terrible. Premium is nearly $7 around me, I would not want a gas guzzler. The B58 gets great mpg, especially in eco on the highway. I would also call the S58 in the new M2 a gas guzzler to for the record (not a brand fan boy).

AWD. If you live where it snows and/or rains a lot, the M240i xDrive is your move, simple as that. Living in Chicago this would help me a lot.

If you don't need a rear seat both the Supra & Z are solid options. The Z will generally be cheaper (as it's a 370Z+) and seems to need new tires. If you want manual in the Supra, you'll have to wait (and likely overpay).

The Mustang just screams boy racer to me. Very few people know what a Mach1 is, they just know that half their cousins own some sort of 'stang. The interior is rental car like as noted too. Even if it's actually quite fun, I would not want to be seen in one (nor fill up constantly at the pump as noted).

Overall, if you need AWD and/or a backseat go BMW... if you don't but need a manual, get the Z... if you're okay with a ZF8, get the Supra... if you're a hillbilly, get a the Ford (kidding, well kinda).
Appreciate 1
tooly78.00
      07-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #18
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Ford has been churning out so many versions of the Mustang for so many decades now that there is no semblance of "specialness" left. I found that when I sold my Mach 1 there was very little demand for a slightly special version of the car and I got killed by the low residual.

Most people who would buy any of these are probably going t swap it for something else in under 5 years. That should give more real-world point to the Supra and M240.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #19
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Their performance scores at the bottom make no sense.

So the m240i's 0-60/ and 1/4 mile times were the best, the braking 70 to 0 was second best, and yet the performance was scored 3rd. Funny how their scoring categories for performance and powertrain have an asterisk due to them being subjective. Why not score them based upon the objective and quantifiable data?

How is the m240 engine NVH rated lower than the supra? Its the same damn thing.
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      07-10-2022, 04:57 PM   #20
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42M240 View Post
Their performance scores at the bottom make no sense.

So the m240i's 0-60/ and 1/4 mile times were the best, the braking 70 to 0 was second best, and yet the performance was scored 3rd. Funny how their scoring categories for performance and powertrain have an asterisk due to them being subjective. Why not score them based upon the objective and quantifiable data?

How is the m240 engine NVH rated lower than the supra? Its the same damn thing.
Take another look at that scoring sheet, you are misreading it. The category labeled performance is under subheading "Chassis"...it is chassis performance not 1/4 mile times. Do note that under "Powertrain" there is a 1/4 mile acceleration category and rightfully so the M240x outscores the Mach1, 20 to 15, a sizeable gap in favor of the 240 so they did get that right, objectively. In terms of braking the category was braking feel,not braking distance, yes that is a bit subjective. But the M240 does not have good braking feel.

In terms of NVH differences between the Supra vs M240...dunno, that is surprising, perhaps the Supra has better cabin insulation from NVH?? Just guessing here. They are rating how much of the engine's NVH is transmitted to the driver. The Supra also scores higher in ride quality so i am guessing the driver is better insulated from NVH in the Supra

The 1/4 mile times for the M240x being quicker than the Supra is very likely due to all wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. All a matter of traction off the line, the advantage is obviously enough to make up for the weight difference.

It is easy to nitpick a scoring like this but i think they got it pretty much right, but the biggie was the last subjective category of "Experience-Fun to Drive", that tipped the scales to the MACH1 by a 9 point difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #21
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Take another look at that scoring sheet, you are misreading it. The category labeled performance is under subheading "Chassis"...it is chassis performance not 1/4 mile times. Do note that under "Powertrain" there is a 1/4 mile acceleration category and rightfully so the M240x outscores the Mach1, 20 to 15, a sizeable gap in favor of the 240 so they did get that right, objectively. In terms of braking the category was braking feel,not braking distance, yes that is a bit subjective. But the M240 does not have good braking feel.

In terms of NVH differences between the Supra vs M240...dunno, that is surprising, perhaps the Supra has better cabin insulation from NVH?? Just guessing here. They are rating how much of the engine's NVH is transmitted to the driver. The Supra also scores higher in ride quality so i am guessing the driver is better insulated from NVH in the Supra

The 1/4 mile times for the M240x being quicker than the Supra is very likely due to all wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. All a matter of traction off the line, the advantage is obviously enough to make up for the weight difference.

It is easy to nitpick a scoring like this but i think they got it pretty much right, but the biggie was the last subjective category of "Experience-Fun to Drive", that tipped the scales to the MACH1 by a 9 point difference.
I see. So most of this list is a subjective scoring system not based on true performance of the vehicle. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 1
DrJLag420799.00
      07-11-2022, 03:09 AM   #22
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Decent review, but you really have to dive into the categorical rankings to adjust for your own opinion.

For instance gas mileage, the Mustang is absolutely terrible. Premium is nearly $7 around me, I would not want a gas guzzler. The B58 gets great mpg, especially in eco on the highway. I would also call the S58 in the new M2 a gas guzzler to for the record (not a brand fan boy).

AWD. If you live where it snows and/or rains a lot, the M240i xDrive is your move, simple as that. Living in Chicago this would help me a lot.

If you don't need a rear seat both the Supra & Z are solid options. The Z will generally be cheaper (as it's a 370Z+) and seems to need new tires. If you want manual in the Supra, you'll have to wait (and likely overpay).

The Mustang just screams boy racer to me. Very few people know what a Mach1 is, they just know that half their cousins own some sort of 'stang. The interior is rental car like as noted too. Even if it's actually quite fun, I would not want to be seen in one (nor fill up constantly at the pump as noted).

Overall, if you need AWD and/or a backseat go BMW... if you don't but need a manual, get the Z... if you're okay with a ZF8, get the Supra... if you're a hillbilly, get a the Ford (kidding, well kinda).
lmao
Appreciate 0