BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-30-2022, 06:24 AM   #1
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Waiting for 45e - Jumping to an iX

Wife and I are on our 2nd 45e for her and I too decided the M4 I got in April isn't for me and ordered another 45e (81k Build)

Dealer texts me last night that he has an iX that just became available - Decided to punt on the 45e and take the iX…

Will I regret it? Thinking of staying on the 45e order (Will be here late July) as a backup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
IFlyX5238.00
      06-30-2022, 07:00 AM   #2
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Well if you're ok with the looks you already have one 45e in the family. Why not try something different?
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      06-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #3
lethiferous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

I think white and black are the only 2 colors on this car where it's not ugly as sin. Why have 2 of the same car. Just keep the IX, you Idrive 8 etc.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      06-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I have an 45e and got a iX loaner for a couple of days. Hated the touchscreen stuff, didn't like the seat position, felt like a ups truck driver in it. It won't be my next car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
mattig
Rep
Drives: X45e

"81k build." Thanks for that vital info! That made all the difference in our ability to answer your question!

I was faced with a similar choice (drive the iX off the lot of build a 45e). Wife and I chose the latter as we both were nauseated by the interior of the iX. Subjective assessment. Some people like it. To each their own.

Won't be a road-tripper for us, so charging infrastructure isn't mission critical, but I nonetheless like the idea of ICE flexibility when needed.

You've driven the 45e, so now see how you like living with the iX.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Congrats! 0-60 in under 4.5s, 300+ mile range, iD8, universally glowing reviews on interior and handling, tech and features. No, you won't be disappointed. Everlastingly tired of the observation "It has a big grille." Yes, it does. Next?

Last edited by Paladin1; 06-30-2022 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Kev946
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: ?

Looks awesome in white. Is this an iX50? Show us some more pictures. I have the same dilemma but the iX50 is a jump in price over the 45e in France.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
JHY310
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335 / F80 M3 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattig View Post
"81k build." Thanks for that vital info! That made all the difference in our ability to answer your question!

I was faced with a similar choice (drive the iX off the lot of build a 45e). Wife and I chose the latter as we both were nauseated by the interior of the iX. Subjective assessment. Some people like it. To each their own.

Won't be a road-tripper for us, so charging infrastructure isn't mission critical, but I nonetheless like the idea of ICE flexibility when needed.

You've driven the 45e, so now see how you like living with the iX.
In OPs defense he may have been trying to frame that the price difference between the 45e and Ix is not significant.

Overall if you are willing to make the commitment to EV and the nuances associated with it, I don’t see why you wouldn’t go for it! PHEV is a good way to get your feet wet. For me, it’s al our nothing so I’ll stick with ICE for now.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #9
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Just finished reading an article in Autoweek about longevity/depreciation of EVs.

Generally made the point that early EV models, which today's crop of EVs falls into, will probably not fare well at all on the depreciation curve. Tech and battery technology (in particular) will most likely change dramatically over the next five plus years.

So my personal conclusion is that a good PHEV, with reasonable electric range, which the 45e has, is the sweet spot on the new technology EV depreciation schedule.

Hard for me to see how a 45e becomes obsolete in five years. I can, however, see how an iX absolutely could.

Just my two cents…
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 12:17 PM   #10
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Looks nice

And maybe not a bad choice.
Here, still loving our 45e with, who knows - how many iX's around us every day.

Very surely, our next car will be an iX of some kind. But currently I am still not sold on the interior anyway...
Just reading about a new iX with a possible range of 1200km in a few years. New batt. tech. Yeah, of course it's coming and maybe that's interesting.

Gas prices rocketing (especially here in "poor, OLD fashioned Norway"), but still - no hurry for a new car.

The X5 45e is kind of the perfect car for us. I love to drive locally in electric mode (= why I in the future want an electric car) BUT I also love the fact that range is not an issue with the 45e
and we can find gas in almost any valley if we drive for an extended holiday. So, currently, the (slightly weird) combo/hybrid thing is a perfect machine for us.
In a few years...maybe not so, but who knows.

As you are so lucky to soon have both cars - please wait for your X5 45e and compare. You will be in a unique situation to get the best solution for YOU.

Enjoy the ride!

BR
BXdriver
In the past: 20 Volvo XC60
In the past: 14 BMW X5 25d

Last edited by BXdriver; 06-30-2022 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 02:10 PM   #11
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

If you love the iX you love it, and nothing anyone else says matters. I'll be interested in hearing what your real world experience is.

I haven't driven an iX but I have sat in one and I have to say I personally hated it. Did not like the seats at all.
Maybe that is a matter of adjustment but I don't think so. Hated the touchscreens. It looked like they glued a couple of Acer monitors to the dash. The seats and the rest of the dash looked WAY below its station, and much less luxurious than the 45e to me.

And I am increasingly relieved to have the physical buttons I have in the 45e. I HATE having to go touchscreen; I find myself taking risks I shouldn't be taking in motion. I think the move away from that sort of ergonomic choice is a decided disadvantage and I will not be buying anything that depends so heavily on screens

Having said that, my 5 weeks in a 45e have convinced me that my next car (a long time from now in all likelihood) will def be all-electric.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #12
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
If you love the iX you love it, and nothing anyone else says matters. I'll be interested in hearing what your real world experience is.

I haven't driven an iX but I have sat in one and I have to say I personally hated it. Did not like the seats at all.
Maybe that is a matter of adjustment but I don't think so. Hated the touchscreens. It looked like they glued a couple of Acer monitors to the dash. The seats and the rest of the dash looked WAY below its station, and much less luxurious than the 45e to me.

And I am increasingly relieved to have the physical buttons I have in the 45e. I HATE having to go touchscreen; I find myself taking risks I shouldn't be taking in motion. I think the move away from that sort of ergonomic choice is a decided disadvantage and I will not be buying anything that depends so heavily on screens

Having said that, my 5 weeks in a 45e have convinced me that my next car (a long time from now in all likelihood) will def be all-electric.
I was surprised how I pleased I was with the iX in person so I drove it home - Trip is 100 miles... This is going to sound strange but "Range" is why I wanted the iX - We were always trying to get as many electric miles as possible with our 45e... Not an issue anymore.

Both are great in their own way - iX is seems the future, 45e more Lux than the iX for sure and when you put your hand in your pocket there's $20K extra in it. Time will tell - I'm not cancelling my 45e order though.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 02:02 AM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I think you have brain damage. The choice is simple, that is do not make any changes. Keep the 45e you already have along with the M4. Practical + fun. Life is too short.

Look at my sig.
      07-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #14
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
congratulations, she's a beauty!

I was on the waiting list for iX since summer of 2021 but gave it more thought and decided to change my mind at the end of the last year and got 40i.

There were few reasons, first: I think here in New England we are not quite ready to be fully electric due to infrastructure limitations, I believe picture should improve in couple of years. second: high starting price, I got 40i with all the options for the same price iX starting at.

Many might not agree with my reasonings but this is my feeling.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #15
mattig
Rep
Drives: X45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHY310 View Post
In OPs defense he may have been trying to frame that the price difference between the 45e and Ix is not significant.
Fair enough. Retracted!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #16
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I think you have brain damage. The choice is simple, that is do not make any changes. Keep the 45e you already have along with the M4. Practical + fun. Life is too short.
Did I miss a smiley there?
Seriously?

I would take the iX any day. It is so much better than the G05 X5 I am driving.

PHEV will always be a compromise, and it will be obsolete in the not too distant future.
I am disappointed that the next X5 and iX5 in 2026 will still be based on CLAR and not Neue Classe. I think BMW is making a big mistake on their most profitable model.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 05:41 PM   #17
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post

PHEV will always be a compromise, and it will be obsolete in the not too distant future.
First, the 45e is absolutely not a compromise for my needs. Indeed, a full EV WOULD BE a compromise.

Second, I will gladly bet that a current EV (iX) compared to a current PHEV (45e) will be obsolete earlier.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2058.00
      07-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #18
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsOtium View Post
First, the 45e is absolutely not a compromise for my needs. Indeed, a full EV WOULD BE a compromise.

Second, I will gladly bet that a current EV (iX) compared to a current PHEV (45e) will be obsolete earlier.
It is sure a location and personal usage dependent. If I was single or even married without kids, I will probably take an EV, and deal with charging logistics. But family with toddler age kids, the logistics is inconvenient, to say the least, on longer drive even in SF Bay Area, arguably the highest EV adoption rate, and probably best charging infrastructure region in US.

For a commute car, I will sure get EV these days.
LarsOtium190.00
      07-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #19
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Even a Tesla has issues if your travels take you away from major routes or popular areas. Try to refill it on a typical level 2 unit even overnight may not do it. Some parts of this country have long distances even for fuel stations, let alone EV charging opportunities. Eventually, an EV will make more sense for more people. Today, it can work for some, but definitely not all. There are many in condo, apartment, or other rental properties, or without dedicated parking where even an EVSE may not be viable.

Until there's a plethora of reliable CCS units scattered all over the place, pure EVs may not work well. Even today, just keeping them working reliably seems to be an issue. Think about a CCS unit that may need to supply 350Kw in a high burst. That's just one unit (but few that can take advantage of it yet), that would normally be able to supply a major neighborhood.

A variable DC power supply controlled by digital data by messages from the vehicle at these high currents, requires regular maintenance to keep their filters clean so they don't overheat, and can work. The peak loads are extreme if you've got a bank of these things, and some implementations are relying on local solar to help, battery storage, and one novel solution is flywheels running in vacuum chambers. The infrastructure needs to be built up to make these work many places. The fines imposed on VW for their diesel fraud are still in the process of being spent (through 2026, I think), along with some money this current administration was able to get through (Trump avoided anything related to EV implementation), so there is some hope things will get better. The number of plug-in vehicles keeps increasing year-to-year, so the demand will increase, potentially making it more viable for private industry to continue to expand the networks. If Tesla follows through with enabling CCS units to charge at their supercharging network, that will help, but tends to piss off the Tesla owners where they've done it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:24 PM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Garycoral , congrats on the new iX. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

What is your early take on iD8? This review really rips it. https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/01/...tep-backwards/
      07-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #21
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Garycoral , congrats on the new iX. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

What is your early take on iD8? This review really rips it. https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/01/...tep-backwards/
Ha! Just came in from the garage trying to find a place to store presets... Not difficult but not simple either. It's parked right next to my wife's 45e so I jumped in there for a moment of comparison - The X5 feels like an old pair of jeans - Not overly fancy tech, just fits well.

I've got a great Broker down in the Chicago area that bought my M4 who I'm going to ask for an offer... I originally ordered a 45e that went into production yesterday so I have that to jump on if I can't say no to the offer.

Like the EV with great range aspect of the iX - But not sure it's for me...
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13531.00
      07-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
Ha! Just came in from the garage trying to find a place to store presets... Not difficult but not simple either. It's parked right next to my wife's 45e so I jumped in there for a moment of comparison - The X5 feels like an old pair of jeans - Not overly fancy tech, just fits well.

I've got a great Broker down in the Chicago area that bought my M4 who I'm going to ask for an offer... I originally ordered a 45e that went into production yesterday so I have that to jump on if I can't say no to the offer.

Like the EV with great range aspect of the iX - But not sure it's for me...
Thanks, let us know how it turns out. Good luck.