E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > About to Order E90

12-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

About to Order E90

Looking to order a well-optioned 328i w/ x-Drive to replace my '07 coming off lease in mid-March. Called several dealers in my local area yesterday. Despite the crap economy and low demand for cars, they still seem to be playing the same old games - won't discuss invoice/wholesale pricing, and talking about working some $800-1200 off MSRP - plus adding in the dealer prep BS, the usual add-ons that I have zero intention of paying for. I've let them know that I plan to buy from the dealer who simply gives me the lowest selling price - I'll service it where I want, which is no issue. I've seen others on this board get from $300-500 over invoice and I'd be OK with that. What gives here? Why are these guys being such jerks? I'm a real buyer - don't they see that? Or care about making a sale?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Go somewhere else. I emailed Apple BMW in York PA. They offered me $750 over invoice on a loaded 335i. Did it by email. Ask for Joe.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Go somewhere else. I emailed Apple BMW in York PA. They offered me $750 over invoice on a loaded 335i. Did it by email. Ask for Joe.
Thanks Steve - sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's a post from another forum from a guy in Chicago who just purchased a new BMW:

Well, I went to another dealer and was able to get a better offer -- $500 over invoice on the 09 335i coupe (I'd need to order it). Then I was told that I could get a new 08 M3 coupe that they had on the floor (Interlagos Blue) at invoice. They were also able to fiddle with the lease rates a bit on the M3 to get it to be very competitive with the 335i. I'm taking the M3.

Don't tell me dealers won't discount - if they're hungry enough they will! And, I'm willing to wait. The offers I heard yesterday were, honestly, insulting! BMW sales nationally are down around 25% for the year. And I can't imagine they're improving with the economy tanking further by the day. Let's see what they're willing to do in mid-January when it's 10 degrees here, snowing, and there's not one soul in the dealership. Think they'll deal then??
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Here's a post from another forum from a guy in Chicago who just purchased a new BMW:

Well, I went to another dealer and was able to get a better offer -- $500 over invoice on the 09 335i coupe (I'd need to order it). Then I was told that I could get a new 08 M3 coupe that they had on the floor (Interlagos Blue) at invoice. They were also able to fiddle with the lease rates a bit on the M3 to get it to be very competitive with the 335i. I'm taking the M3.

Don't tell me dealers won't discount - if they're hungry enough they will! And, I'm willing to wait. The offers I heard yesterday were, honestly, insulting! BMW sales nationally are down around 25% for the year. And I can't imagine they're improving with the economy tanking further by the day. Let's see what they're willing to do in mid-January when it's 10 degrees here, snowing, and there's not one soul in the dealership. Think they'll deal then??

dealers are totally willing to deal. my local dealer has an 08 M6 vert that they are willing to lease out for $1300 for 36mo and 10k a year
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
dealers are totally willing to deal. my local dealer has an 08 M6 vert that they are willing to lease out for $1300 for 36mo and 10k a year
Agree - I think I just need to show up in person to let them know I'm a serious buyer and ready to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Phil,

I understand your frustration. They can't sell as many cars as they want so instead of giving a discount, they still want near MSRP. Makes no sense in this economy. Have you given any thought to a European delivery? Generally you can get a much better deal with that type of purchase. Not sure if this deal with Lufthansa still exists but at one time you could get a buy one get one free ticket through BMW on Lufthansa. OR a significant discount on a second first class ticket. Some have actually flown over to Munich,signed papers, and then flown home. The other alternative is just to find someone who actually wants to deal and sell cars. A patient of mine says he has gotten some decent discounts from BMW of Devon. Daniels BMW in Allentown is not known for discounting their cars.

I would get a list of all the BMW dealers in the metropolitan Phila- NYC area. and call the sales manager and tell him like it is. If they don't want to deal tell them not to waste your time. A friend of mine got a really good deal from a BMW dealer in Flemington NJ on the first M3 SEDAN delivery to that dealership. That was even before the economy has soured. Keep us informed of your experiences.

As a last resort, you might want to check out Irv Robinson. He is a forum sponsor, but is in Illinois. Info is on the "Car Ordering/Pricing" forum. Also very knowlegable about ED
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Out here in LA, where 3-series are ridiculously common, most of the dealers I talked to were offering ridiculous prices. The most I was told I could get would be a $1000 off. So, I countered at the local dealer with $900 above invoice and told him I'd give him $300 extra for the BMW alarm system, floormats and a couple of other goodies. The dealer said they couldn't touch that price. So, I said fine - here is my phone number, give me a ring when the situation changes.

10 minutes later they called, and beat the price I asked for.

The moral of the story - be prepared to walk out and bargain from the INVOICE up (not the MSRP down).

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What a strange situation for the OP. With that pricing, I would not buy a BMW as the price has skyrocketed for '09 as it is. $3300 off list = list for 2k7, and the car has not really changed.

I went out of my way on a drive today so I stopped by the dealership. There were 6 M3's just sitting there gathering dust, and they've been there mos. Have to admit, oddly, not 1 335 coupe. But quite a few 335 sedans, even '08s.

To tell you the truth, I got that "list price" BS when I went to buy in 10/06 on a coupe, and the car had been out only a bit more than a month. I waited over the weekend and list turned into $1700 off. I would think you wait now and you go to $4500 off list minimum. I'm just saying what I think. I mean those M3's have been there mos. It would be ludicrous if they were not willing to budge.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Out here in LA, where 3-series are ridiculously common, most of the dealers I talked to were offering ridiculous prices. The most I was told I could get would be a $1000 off. So, I countered at the local dealer with $900 above invoice and told him I'd give him $300 extra for the BMW alarm system, floormats and a couple of other goodies. The dealer said they couldn't touch that price. So, I said fine - here is my phone number, give me a ring when the situation changes.

10 minutes later they called, and beat the price I asked for.

The moral of the story - be prepared to walk out and bargain from the INVOICE up (not the MSRP down).
Definitely, it's a point of pride for them. Even though they may be out of jobs and the dealership closing, they still don't in the BMW world cut to the chase on the first visit. I was honestly naive and believed that it would take list to get a E92 335 in 10/06, and that I would be 'lucky' to get an order number. All the newbie BS. So I really did say I couldn't pay list. By Monday, the CA was offering $1700 off. They will always try to recoup by selling extended warranties, maintenance, protection, tire, etc. packages. All rip offs that are pure profit. Given the price increase and the economy, anything short of 5k off list today imho is not a great deal. C'mon Caddy's have 6k off on a CTS and like 15k off on an Escalade. Last I checked premium was 1.899 so an Escalade is not looking so bad anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Phil,

I understand your frustration. They can't sell as many cars as they want so instead of giving a discount, they still want near MSRP. Makes no sense in this economy. Have you given any thought to a European delivery? Generally you can get a much better deal with that type of purchase. Not sure if this deal with Lufthansa still exists but at one time you could get a buy one get one free ticket through BMW on Lufthansa. OR a significant discount on a second first class ticket. Some have actually flown over to Munich,signed papers, and then flown home. The other alternative is just to find someone who actually wants to deal and sell cars. A patient of mine says he has gotten some decent discounts from BMW of Devon. Daniels BMW in Allentown is not known for discounting their cars.

I would get a list of all the BMW dealers in the metropolitan Phila- NYC area. and call the sales manager and tell him like it is. If they don't want to deal tell them not to waste your time. A friend of mine got a really good deal from a BMW dealer in Flemington NJ on the first M3 SEDAN delivery to that dealership. That was even before the economy has soured. Keep us informed of your experiences.

As a last resort, you might want to check out Irv Robinson. He is a forum sponsor, but is in Illinois. Info is on the "Car Ordering/Pricing" forum. Also very knowlegable about ED
Thanks for the advice - I'm in the process of calling local dealers - even a good tip on a dealer in York, PA. Since I don't need to order until early January, I think I'll be able to do pretty well. I plan to work from invoice up, NOT MSRP down. Of course dealers should make money, but hell, I bought my Audi TT for less than $1000 over invoice and the '08 S4 I traded it on is still sitting on the lot (six months later) with an asking price of around what they gave me for it in trade! So, in January, with winter in full swing, empty dealerships, we'll see how hungry the dealers are for my business. As for the overseas delivery, my wife and I just don't have the time to take off for that - although I think it would be a great way to get the car.
Appreciate 0