BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-17-2022, 02:56 AM   #1
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Help getting my phone to talk to my computer (network storage)

Samsung phone.
I can plug a external HDD into my computer, share it and access it from my phone through my laptop.
But what I can't do is access the C drive from my phone. It doesn't matter what I do for user access, firewall access, user permissions, etc. I just can't get it to see anything on the HDD. Tried searching and read through what little I could find. Was basically all the thing I already tried and didn't work. I'm fairly certain it's on the laptop side of security things. I just don't know what.
If someone has any advice I'd sure appreciate it.

What my goal here is to transfer media from my laptops to my phone, and phone to laptops remotely. Have music at home, log in and able to play it as I'm on the go. Vs using a 3rd party app/service. I am able to do this from a HDD plugged into the USB port. Just not the internal drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Setup a SAMBA share, then you'll need an app like file explorer to gain remote access. Neither iOS or Android really support remote shares
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

But see that's 3rd party which I'm trying to avoid.

It's some security I'm not seeing I know it. I looked through the group policy stuff and there it says I should be able to do this. I believe this is the correct one.

I woke up today and thought, maybe if I partition the drive ...
That had no affect. Same issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

If the server service is running and you have set up a share on a given folder then it will be there, otherwise you use the admin share C$ if its a pro machine.

But again on the client device they dont have native file browsers that will support logging into a share.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I just downloaded this from the Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emanager&gl=US

I gave it a test on one of my servers running Windows Server 2012 for Plex. I was able to connect to the SMB share I have created for one of the local drives on that server with no issues; even having to use a username and password.

This was done on my local network though. And I have Windows firewall turned off on the server. I found it's more hassle than it's worth when I have Next Gen hardware firewalls spread out across my local network. If you're looking to also do remote access, I wouldn't directly expose your NAS to the Internet. You should look into a proper VPN appliance. I'm currently running a SonicWall SMA SSL VPN concentrator to gain secure remote access to my home network.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50
      06-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Installed Cx. Worked right away and fast.
No idea what's with the Samsung version but Windows does not approve. LOL

On to the VPN portion ...
Appreciate 0