E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Speeding (80/65) reduced to intersection traffic obstruction. Should I take it?

12-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Speeding (80/65) reduced to intersection traffic obstruction. Should I take it?

I got a speeding ticket (80mph in 65mph zone) in July in upstate New York. I plead not guilty and applied for traffic reduction later on. Finally got the result today (took about a month) and the speeding charge was reduced to obstructing traffic at intersection. I believe the speeding charge has a max fine of $300 and 4 points whereas the reduced charged has a max fine of $150 and 2 points.

Should I take the offer or get an attorney to get a better deal? The thing is my court date is set for Jan 20th and I can't postpone it any longer.

Btw, I have a NJ license.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake

Last edited by a l l a n; 12-12-2008 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Btw, I have a NJ license.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
malave53
Master Tire Installer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i/08'328xi/07'328i

I would. I don't know how things work in NY, but in NJ you could just plead guilty to "Unsafe Operations" when you see the prosecutor....it's no points but about $400+...

Your best choice is probably taking the offer, taking the two points and pay the buck fifty. Take a few classes and get rid of the points....I know in NJ if you take an 8hr defensive driving class (AAA certified) its is required by NJ state law to apply a small (5% I believe, correct me if I am wrong) discount to your insurance....

Daily Driver:08' E92 335i 6MT Montego Blue Style 189 Rims

In the garage: 2008 E90 328xi Barbara Red & 2007 E90 328i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
we dont have that system in cali..
      12-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
dhan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

gees 4 points for that?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
In California, the DMV has the right to suspend or revoke your driving privileges if you accumulate a certain number of points over a period of time.
  • Four points within a 12-month period
  • Six points in a 24-month period
  • Eight points in a 36-month period
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
monkeyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328xi

Did you request (and receive) a supporting deposition ?

In Upstate NY, I've manage to avoid several tickets turning into fines+points. The last one, the officer failed to file the requested supporting deposition within the time allotted. Quite often the officer fails to appear in court. Or you talk to the DA and often the charges are reduced to a non-moving violation (e.g. $25 fine, no points).

In the case of speeding tickets, there are often circumstances that you can cite that call into question the validity of the charges (e.g. position of the officer relative to you, method of determining speed, other cars close to you, etc, etc). But you need the supporting deposition to help you figure out how best to make your case based on what the officer actually has on you...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
I actually meant to post this to the NY/NJ regional section.

One thing I forgot to mention is I have an NJ driver's license.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave53 View Post
I would. I don't know how things work in NY, but in NJ you could just plead guilty to "Unsafe Operations" when you see the prosecutor....it's no points but about $400+...

Your best choice is probably taking the offer, taking the two points and pay the buck fifty. Take a few classes and get rid of the points....I know in NJ if you take an 8hr defensive driving class (AAA certified) its is required by NJ state law to apply a small (5% I believe, correct me if I am wrong) discount to your insurance....
I believe moving violations commited in NY by NJ drivers are automatic two points. Guess I can accept this reduced offer an try to erase it by taking those lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Did you request (and receive) a supporting deposition ?

In Upstate NY, I've manage to avoid several tickets turning into fines+points. The last one, the officer failed to file the requested supporting deposition within the time allotted. Quite often the officer fails to appear in court. Or you talk to the DA and often the charges are reduced to a non-moving violation (e.g. $25 fine, no points).

In the case of speeding tickets, there are often circumstances that you can cite that call into question the validity of the charges (e.g. position of the officer relative to you, method of determining speed, other cars close to you, etc, etc). But you need the supporting deposition to help you figure out how best to make your case based on what the officer actually has on you...
The police officer included the supporting deposition when I got the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

im pretty sure they can bump it back up to the original if you take it to court... unless youre feeling REALLY confident, i suggest you take the officers kind gesture instead of throwing it back in his face.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
im pretty sure they can bump it back up to the original if you take it to court... unless youre feeling REALLY confident, i suggest you take the officers kind gesture instead of throwing it back in his face.
It's definitely possible but that's not the way it works. The traffic reduction is a way to fight a ticket without appearing in court. The local court will let you bring your case to the DA to try to get a decision (hopefully favorable) outside of the court. If you accept the DA's offer, you submit it to the local court and the court will also accept it. If not, you continue your not guilty plea and let the local court decide your case.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l l a n View Post
I believe moving violations commited in NY by NJ drivers are automatic two points. Guess I can accept this reduced offer an try to erase it by taking those lessons.

The police officer included the supporting deposition when I got the ticket.

NY points won't transfer to NJ, same goes for the other way around.

They do not have a collateral agreement between those states.

Very few states have agreements with other states over points...point is every state point system laws varies and there is no formula or way to 'convert' them.

NY has a agreement with Ontario, Canada on the points system.

Whatever you read on the NY or NJ ticket that points will be issued in your state, is just pure BS. My traffic lawyer advised me on that and proven it.

I got a speeding ticket in NJ, plead not guilty...court sent me a trail date. I called my lawyer and he post-poned it for more time to research, court sends me a warrent in mail. I called lawyer and he told me not to worry about it as the court made a mistake.
A week later I get a new trail date, and a letter saying bail is not required
then a few days another warrent comes in the mail...again a call to the lawyer and he goes to court to find out what the hell is going on.

Apparently some court clerk screwed up as they have this automated system that mails out notices and it kept on doing it.

I would take the offer you got and don't worry about the points.

Or don't drive in NY again if you decide not to pay and a warrent is out

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Many people told me NY points gets transfered over to NJ but i have gotten MANY speeding tickets in NY and points never carry over.

Just pay for the ticket and im pretty sure it wont transfer over.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #13
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
NY points won't transfer to NJ, same goes for the other way around.

They do not have a collateral agreement between those states.

Very few states have agreements with other states over points...point is every state point system laws varies and there is no formula or way to 'convert' them.

NY has a agreement with Ontario, Canada on the points system.

Whatever you read on the NY or NJ ticket that points will be issued in your state, is just pure BS. My traffic lawyer advised me on that and proven it.

You're right on the out-of-state tickets for NY drivers. New York does not recognize out-of-state tickets (except from Ontario and Quebec). But New Jersey recognizes all out-of-state moving violations as 2 points.

See this link.
http://www.redlichlaw.com/traffic/ne...g-tickets.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
Hahaha. Unfortunately I drive to NY a few times a week so I can't avoid it. But I might just take the DA's offer and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
Many people told me NY points gets transfered over to NJ but i have gotten MANY speeding tickets in NY and points never carry over.

Just pay for the ticket and im pretty sure it wont transfer over.
Hmm. Interesting. Maybe the lawyer I quoted in my previous post is just BS'ing? But yeah I'm most likely to accept the reduced offer.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

Who pulled you over? State trooper, or county sheriff/city police? That shifts things around. It used to be that certain localities in Upstate NY, including my hometown, were notorious for letting you plead down to fewer points but more money. They didn't give a darn about the state points system, but a little extra cash in the city coffers was much appreciated.

I'd be inclined to take the deal. It's a weak charge with a lower fine. Two points on the insurance shouldn't be a huge hit. You might be able to get off with something lower/cheaper if you hit it lucky, but I think this is pretty good. And saves you the hassle of attorney and having to take time off to head to court.
      12-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
Who pulled you over? State trooper, or county sheriff/city police? That shifts things around. It used to be that certain localities in Upstate NY, including my hometown, were notorious for letting you plead down to fewer points but more money. They didn't give a darn about the state points system, but a little extra cash in the city coffers was much appreciated.

I'd be inclined to take the deal. It's a weak charge with a lower fine. Two points on the insurance shouldn't be a huge hit. You might be able to get off with something lower/cheaper if you hit it lucky, but I think this is pretty good. And saves you the hassle of attorney and having to take time off to head to court.
It was a state trooper. With my deal, I'm actually paying less and getting a smaller point.

Yep, I have decided to accept the deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
ticketassassin.com
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0