BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

12-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Oil Service with 600 miles???

I saw this on my dash that my car needs an oil service. So Im there like nice I have 600 miles to go for break in for the 1200 mile service? A few days later the dealer calls for me to make any appointment. I was like ok maybe Ill hit 900 miles by the appointment. Anyhow I was reading we have a CBS or Condition Based Service System that monitors various conditions of vehicle use. I got my car in Oct and have not really driven her much since I have a Jeep for my commutes to work and daily duties. Did the CBS system trigger off my oil service?? Should I wait till 1200 miles?? My SA said its ok to bring the car in?? Any Ideas I guess this is pretty normal??

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
exadius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 M-DCT

Same thing happened to me. I was stupid enough to agree to an appointment with my dealer when they called me. When I got there they said that they were not allowed to to change the oil untill the 1200 mile service. I was pretty angry they had just wasted 2 hours of my day, all I got was some story about the service scheduler not knowing the rules for the M3.

When I scheduled the 1200 mile service they said it would take 4 hours because they had to wait for the tranmission to cool down so they could change the fluid. This is wrong since the car is a M-DCT model and no fluid change is required. The idiot on the line also did not know about the 6 hour reprograming of the tranmisson software.

The lesson here is that when you call the service center you are likely to get wrong answers concerning M3 service.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

It's a countdown, wait until 1200 in your odometer
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

I waited and my SA said it's ok

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Take your car in when you reach the mileage at which it says it needs the oil change, irrespective of whether it's 1200 or sooner. My 2000 Km service was done with only 800 Km on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Take your car in when you reach the mileage at which it says it needs the oil change, irrespective of whether it's 1200 or sooner. My 2000 Km service was done with only 800 Km on the clock.
Did you even read the thread? Or any of the dozen other threads exactly like it? If you did, you would know that it is likely that if you go rolling into your dealer as soon as you get that message, they will tell you it is too soon. It's a little grey as some dealers are a little more flexible than others, but the window appears to be somewhere between 800 and 1600 miles. If you had bothered to read any of threads you would have known this and wouldn't be passing on incorrect information. Your experience was not normal.
I had my car in for something else at around 650. They had to keep it overnight and since it is a 3 hour drive from my home, they wanted to save me the inconvenience of having to come back for the 1200 mile service, however they had to get special permission from someone at BMWNA in order to do the service that early. They said the earliest they had done one before was 850.
This issue comes up again and again. Same question gets asked again and again. BMW figured they would give you plenty of time to get an appointment made, as some dealers are booked a week or two in advance. Just because the message comes up at 600 miles does not mean you have to take it in the next day or lightning will strike you dead. It's called the 1200 mile break-in service and you have a several hundred mile window to get it done in. But 600 is too soon; under most circumstances, most dealers won't do it that early.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 12-14-2008 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
MRBLUE
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SEDAN SG DCT FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Did you even read the thread? Or any of the dozen other threads exactly like it? If you did, you would know that it is likely that if you go rolling into your dealer as soon as you get that message, they will tell you it is too soon. It's a little grey as some dealers are a little more flexible than others, but the window appears to be somewhere between 800 and 1600 miles. If you had bothered to read any of threads you would have known this and wouldn't be passing on incorrect information. Your experience was not normal.
I had my car in for something else at around 650. They had to keep it overnight and since it is a 3 hour drive from my home, they wanted to save me the inconvenience of having to come back for the 1200 mile service, however they had to get special permission from someone at BMWNA in order to do the service that early. They said the earliest they had done one before was 850.
This issue comes up again and again. Same question gets asked again and again. BMW figured they would give you plenty of time to get an appointment made, as some dealers are booked a week or two in advance. Just because the message comes up at 600 miles does not mean you have to take it in the next day or lightning will strike you dead. It's called the 1200 mile break-in service and you have a several hundred mile window to get it done in. But 600 is too soon; under most cirumstances, most dealers won't do it that early.
Easy sparky!! kbk 75 was just giving us his experience with the early message. You have a different experience , I took my car in with 960 miles and my dealer did the service.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBLUE View Post
Easy sparky!! kbk 75 was just giving us his experience with the early message. You have a different experience , I took my car in with 960 miles and my dealer did the service.
No, Spanky, he was not just giving us his experience. He was specifically advising people to get the service when the message comes up, even if it comes up at 600 miles. That is the wrong advise to give. Read it again, read this thread again, then go read the other dozen threads on this exact same subject and then tell me I'm wrong. And taking your car in at 960 is consistent with what I said, so what's your point?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
MRBLUE
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SEDAN SG DCT FR

My point is the guy is TRYING to give some good advice and you are being a bit hard on him
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

I have 900 miles on my car now and surprisingly idrive says there is around 470 more miles before I need an oilchange.
So... should I do it at 1200 mi or 1370 mi ?
Appreciate 0