E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AC is barely cold

05-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #1
missier17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

AC is barely cold

Hello, ever since I got my e90, the AC doesn't seem to work well in the heat I always keep it in the coldest setting possible and it is ice cold in the morning but as it gets warmer it barely blows cold. I've tried refilling it with one of the refrigerant cans from the auto store but the meter on it claims that refrigerant pressure is too high. What is the best course of action? I've heard that maybe I should have my refrigerant changed out at a shop, what should I do? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I subscribe to this thread. Same issue since I bought my e90. the A/C is poor when the outside temp is high. I have come to think that the e90's a/c system is simply crap, but I also have a hard time believing it considering the temperatures that are reached in some European countries in summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #3
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

It seems that the system needs a top up from time to time. I was able to add charge to mine from a napa kit (for now) but it was a bit temperamental. If the home kit didn't work out, get it recharged by professionals and you should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #4
missier17
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Sneer View Post
It seems that the system needs a top up from time to time. I was able to add charge to mine from a napa kit (for now) but it was a bit temperamental. If the home kit didn't work out, get it recharged by professionals and you should be good to go.
That's what I was planning on doing, thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
zellamay
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 1998 Z3MRoadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando_e90 View Post
I subscribe to this thread. Same issue since I bought my e90. the A/C is poor when the outside temp is high. I have come to think that the e90's a/c system is simply crap, but I also have a hard time believing it considering the temperatures that are reached in some European countries in summer.
We have a 2006 330i, and live in AZ, where summer temps get over 115 deg. The AC works great, so it doesn't seem that e90's a/c system has to be bad.
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      05-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

That low side gauge is not going to tell much about the system. I would just find a good AC shop and have them evacuate the system and recharge with the right amount of refrigerant.

Months ago I added about 2 oz of refrigerant. The compressor was making a slight groan when the AC is turned on and off. 2 oz solved that, but I would not be adding more than that like dumping in a good part of the can.

I agree, these systems would need a slight top off every couple of years. When in doubt, pay a shop before it costs more expensive problems.

If you have INPA you can use it to read off the high side pressure.

Here is a reason why to be very careful with those store cans.
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...urself.769819/

Quote:
Originally Posted by missier17 View Post
Hello, ever since I got my e90, the AC doesn't seem to work well in the heat I always keep it in the coldest setting possible and it is ice cold in the morning but as it gets warmer it barely blows cold. I've tried refilling it with one of the refrigerant cans from the auto store but the meter on it claims that refrigerant pressure is too high. What is the best course of action? I've heard that maybe I should have my refrigerant changed out at a shop, what should I do? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      05-22-2022, 01:07 PM   #7
missier17
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
We have a 2006 330i, and live in AZ, where summer temps get over 115 deg. The AC works great, so it doesn't seem that e90's a/c system has to be bad.
Living in Louisiana my AC barely cools down in the heat, the compressor is still running but not cooling down well at all, I just drive wuth open windows now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
That low side gauge is not going to tell much about the system. I would just find a good AC shop and have them evacuate the system and recharge with the right amount of refrigerant.

Months ago I added about 2 oz of refrigerant. The compressor was making a slight groan when the AC is turned on and off. 2 oz solved that, but I would not be adding more than that like dumping in a good part of the can.

I agree, these systems would need a slight top off every couple of years. When in doubt, pay a shop before it costs more expensive problems.

If you have INPA you can use it to read off the high side pressure.

Here is a reason why to be very careful with those store cans.
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/think-twice-before-deciding-to-recharge-ac-yourself.769819/
Thank you for the insight, that is very helpful. I will get it checked out at a local shop and report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:15 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by missier17 View Post
... as it [? outside Temp, or Engine Temp?] gets warmer it barely blows cold. I've tried refilling it with one of the refrigerant cans from the auto store but the meter on it claims that refrigerant pressure is too high... What is the best course of action?
The BEST course of Action:
1) IF you would rather spend $39 ONE TIME at Amazon for Manifold Gauges (set includes adapters and Can Tap) and $9 for a can of R-134a refrigerant at Walmart, we can walk you through HOW to DIY. It's NOT rocket science, and any car > 10 years old will probably need some refrigerant added every few years.
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-T...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2) As others have indicated, IF you have a Windows Laptop, invest $50 in a K+DCAN cable (BimmerGeeks) and INPA (free download of BMW Factory-Level Diagnostic Software) will tell you if your mixed air Flaps are in proper position, If you High Side Refrigerant Pressure is what it should be, what your Evaporator (cooling coil) Temperature is (if refrigeration circuit is working), everything you need to diagnose your A/C. If you have NO experience with A/C diagnosis (MOST don't ;-), Forum Folk can interpret your data and suggest Next Steps.

3) HOWEVER, we need ACTUAL DATA to be able to help. "the meter on it claims that refrigerant pressure is too high" is of NO help in diagnosing your system. We need the ACTUAL Pressure reading, and the conditions of the system when the pressure was read.

4) For example, if the engine is NOT running, and has NOT run for several hours, BOTH the high side pressure and Low Side Pressure should be the same. Even if ALL you have is a "Low Side Can Tap with gauge", you can learn a LOT about your refrigeration system simply doing the following tests:

A) Perform tests when engine has NOT run for at least TWO Hours, and do NOT Start Engine until stated in later tests.
B) CLOSE the Can Tap valve. NO need to have a can attached.
C) Attach Tap & Gauge to LOW side port. There should be NO hiss of escaping refrigerant, and if there IS, make sure Can Valve is CLOSED, an if hiss continued, disconnect from Low Side Port. Read Gauge value. It should be at least 30 PSIG, and preferably in the 75 to 90 PSIG range.
D) Record that gauge reading, along with the approximate Ambient/ Outside Temp. Leave the Can Tap (without can attached) connected to LOW Side Port.
E) START ENGINE & Make sure A/C Panel lighted, blower is on mid-range speed, and Snowflake Led is lighted (Right-center button on control panel).
F) Can Tap Gauge Pressure SHOULD drop. How MUCH it drops depends upon such things as Ambient Temp, Radiator Fan speed, and amount of refrigerant charge. Record Gauge pressure reading after engine has run for ~ 1 minute, then again after about 3 minutes at idle.
G) Optional test for "Mixed Air Flap Function": MAKE SURE both T-Stats are set on 70F or lower. Feel temperature of air discharge from facia vent in first minute of A/C operation. Feel air temperature again after 3 minutes of engine operation. IF the Temp of the air from the vents gets warmer as the engine warms, and your Pressure gauge still reads ~ Same, then you have an issue with "Mixed Air Flaps".

With the results from those tests we can Actually provide some diagnosis. Otherwise, I'm $ure a $hop will take your money.
George
Appreciate 2