E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > ceramic tinted windows?

12-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

ceramic tinted windows?

I have a friend who just bought an M5 and he is deciding whether to get normal tinted windows or ceramic. does anyone know the difference? thanks
      12-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

The ceramic won't interfere with electronics and will easily outlast the other tints. It is also a more costly item. If wanted to put a light tint on I would go this route. I've tried to find a dealer in Ohio but didn't have any luck. No luck with an email to the manufacturer either.
      12-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Payroll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i

There is a lot of information on this if you search. The skinny is that there are three kinds of tint. From least expensive to most they go as follows (price follows the same order):

1. Dyed plastic (I think, but not sure)
2. Metallic
3. Ceramic

The dyed plastic supposedly fade over time. The metallic don't fade, but there is concern that they interfere with electronic components such as comfort access because they contain metal (hence the name). Ceramic tints are considered the best in terms of performance (UV protection, heat deflection, fading resistance) but they are typically twice as expensive as metallic and they take longer to cure (get bubbles out). The two big brands of ceramic of which I'm aware are Huper Optik and Pinnacle. I opted for the ceramic (HO) because I didn't want to risk interference with my Valentine 1, but I'm not sure that metallic would interfere with it anyway.
      12-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payroll View Post
There is a lot of information on this if you search. The skinny is that there are three kinds of tint. From least expensive to most they go as follows (price follows the same order):

1. Dyed plastic (I think, but not sure)
2. Metallic
3. Ceramic

The dyed plastic supposedly fade over time. The metallic don't fade, but there is concern that they interfere with electronic components such as comfort access because they contain metal (hence the name). Ceramic tints are considered the best in terms of performance (UV protection, heat deflection, fading resistance) but they are typically twice as expensive as metallic and they take longer to cure (get bubbles out). The two big brands of ceramic of which I'm aware are Huper Optik and Pinnacle. I opted for the ceramic (HO) because I didn't want to risk interference with my Valentine 1, but I'm not sure that metallic would interfere with it anyway.

The shop I know has from least expensive to most:

1) metallic
2) ceramic
3) carbon
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

While you could pay more for carbon than ceramic, ceramic was more expensive at every shop I visited before tinting my 1er 6 months ago. But, this obviously varies from shop to shop, product to product.

You will most likely have no problems with any of these 3 options, even if you have CA. (Yes, even metallic should be fine but some people have run into problems)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

I noticed a decrease in CA performance on my e90 M3 immediately after my Huper Optik ceramic was installed. It sometimes is slow to react. It worked perfect up to that point.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
I noticed a decrease in CA performance on my e90 M3 immediately after my Huper Optik ceramic was installed. It sometimes is slow to react. It worked perfect up to that point.
Wierd, mine works fine with the HO Stark 30. The HO Drei is metallic, are you sure you got the Stark ?

Which opacity?
      12-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

It's 30. I have to go back to get the 2 fronts re-done due to some scratching issues. I'm gonna have a look at the box if I can.
Appreciate 0