E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Whistling noise

05-15-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
Fenix Ikki
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Whistling noise

https://share.icloud.com/photos/031V...fM3LouG-dQ3-2w

I just arrived and listened to this whining noise. I can also listen to the water pump, but I did the water pump and everything seems to be correctly. The amount of coolant that drops is good. What could this whining noise be? I attach link for video. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
Fosil Racer
Fossil Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Coupe

I am assuming that you have the infamous [but much beloved] 3.0 litter inline 6 cylinder twin turbo engine. If so then it is a "Whining Noise!" I am sorry to inform you that the noise is most likely from you valve cover... This is a well known and seldom mentioned, and I have experienced it twice. Once on my 335is and again on my 2015 M4. The valve covers leak. It is a flaw that I suspect is evident after repeated stressing the performance of the engine. However, on a good note, the replacements do seem last much longer. My 335is required one at 90K and was still good at 140 K. The M4 at 40K miles. This is not a DIY kind of repair IMHO. Even a Good Repair shop is going to groan under the effort to remove and replace it and it is going to be expensive. But so is everything on a BMW. Let a BMW Shop do it you will be much happier.
Appreciate 0