E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > How do you guys approach sales ppl with invoice pricing?

05-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

How do you guys approach sales ppl with invoice pricing?

everytime I mention, "I'll give you $2000 over invoice" they scoff at me (invoice being $39755)

How do you guys get these deals?
      05-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

I am a CA and if a customer asks me too do a car for xxxx over invoice it makes it much easier for me. Most CA should be happy if you approach it that way because either they can do it for you or they cant. At least thats how I do it.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
I am a CA and if a customer asks me too do a car for xxxx over invoice it makes it much easier for me. Most CA should be happy if you approach it that way because either they can do it for you or they cant. At least thats how I do it.

I keep getting the "oh, we are losing money if we sell you the car at $42k" blah blah blah.

Should I just talk to another sales rep?
      05-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
teodulog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I tried out a suggestion posted on Bimmerfest. I was able to get my car at $1,000 over invoice, which includes MACO. I put this email together and sent it to several dealers.

To the Sales Manager,

I will be in the market for a new 330i. The purpose of this email is to request an offer from your dealer. Below are the specs of the car that I want.
I would like 36 months Closed-end Lease at 15,000 miles per year. I would like to give Zero down. Through research I found that the current Money Factor for this lease would be 0.00195 with a residual of 62%.

2006 330i (E90) Base Price ($33,485)
205 Steptronic Auto ($1,210)
ZPP Premium Package ($2,000)
ZSP Sports Package ($1,455)
609 Navigation System, I-Drive ($1,820)
322 Comfort Access ($455)
417 Sunshades ($525)
4AD Aluminum Trim ($0)
Leather Upholstery (Terra) ($0)
Metallic Paint (Arctic Silver) ($430)
Destination Charge ($695)
Total Invoice Price $42,075

Please send me the details of your offer. I would like the following information to be included: Cap Cost, Residual Value, Money Factor, Payment amount and all amounts due at signing. I will be contacting several dealers and will accept the best offer. Thank you for your time.
      05-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

My dealership approached me with the $x over invoice within a few minutes of me asking what it would cost. I asked for lower (still in relationship to invoice) and they accepted.

MACO, destination, and dealer prep were clearly documented in their offer, and I based what I asked for on the inclusion of those fees. MACO around here was $300 and dealer prep was $189.50. Destination is the standard $695 you see on the website.

All in all, I am happy with my deal, and looking forward to my new car in another 7 weeks or so. They were able to modify a unit scheduled for production so that my car was "in production" on the first business day after I ordered it. I didn't have to wait a month like some people I've heard from.
      05-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

teos email seems like a very very smart idea. the only thing i would be worried about is when you start talking like that you HAVE to be able to keep it up. meaning when they get back to you with your answers of cap cost, residual, MF, etc etc, you HAVE to fully understand all those things. i however dont. im also sure you probably get some emails back that were trying to throw some BS in there like "O we also have to charge you a X,XXX dollar prehandling email discountation fee" Or some other thing that they make up, and at that point you would HAVE to know if they are bluffing, or if they have a legit fee that cant be discounted.
Also, After reading this forum, i feel like i PROBABLY could be paying less. there are other 325's on this board that seem to have a better deal, the part i dont understand is, neither dealership around me wanted to go any lower to win my business. the other dealership was just like "go with them, we wont beat that" so if none of the dealerships around me are willing to sell the car for the cheaper then the price i got, i guess i got the best deal possible????
Sorry for the lengthy thread, and potential thread jacking....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

You can't talk the dealership into dealing if they are not into it. Either the salesman on that particular day is okay to do a deal or he isn't. You can usually tell by how they respond to your offer. The honest ones who don't feel like they need to do a deal will tell you straight out, no deal. Just say thanks, and leave. The others will want to talk about monthly payments, or worse, will worse, will pretend like they are willing to talk, but after making you wait for half an hour while they talk it over with their manager (have coffee), will come back with a ridiculous offer like $50 bucks off.
At that point I usually say thanks, and leave. Sometimes it takes a little while before I realize that I'm being jerked around. But I just go in with the attitude I'm not expecting very much. You just have to go around until you find a dealer who sounds reasonable. You have to be confident that people are getting good deals, and somewhere, there is a dealer who will make you one, you just have to find them.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

the dealer MSRP is $43500. And I offered $41755 for their car ($2k over) and they balked saying that they are losing money and yada yada.
      05-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
teodulog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
cdheaven you are right that with the method that I used it would be helpful to have more lease knowledge than the average Jo, but a lease deal is not as complicated as some people make it out to be. With a little research on sites like bimmerfest you’ll gain all the knowledge necessary.
      05-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

i had all the knowledge and still didn't do that well. I think i paid $1,400 over invoice when i've seen people getting them for $800 over invoice, and one guy claimed dealer cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Punamo
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

The "we're losing money" speech is mandatory for most of the CA's. Just be patient with them and say your research has shown that price to be reasonable for dealers in your area. You need to be reasonable too and not ask them what's impossible.

For me my CA basically asked me what I wanted when I asked him what his price was, so I was able to just tell him straight up what I had in mind. After that he went into the mandatory speech and then went to talk to the sales manager. The sales manager came to me and let me know what his price was (it's still a few hundred dollars off) so I told them I'd be back soon. I got the deal I wanted ($1k over invoice, including maco of $250) the next day. The process was low pressure, which definitely helps.

You have to take time and at least leave the dealership once with the price they offered unless they just got to your price right away. $2k over is very reasonable, but than again it depends on your area, check around the forum to see how much others are getting.

I'd say it takes a couple discussions at least to get to the price you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punamo
The "we're losing money" speech is mandatory for most of the CA's. Just be patient with them and say your research has shown that price to be reasonable for dealers in your area. You need to be reasonable too and not ask them what's impossible.

For me my CA basically asked me what I wanted when I asked him what his price was, so I was able to just tell him straight up what I had in mind. After that he went into the mandatory speech and then went to talk to the sales manager. The sales manager came to me and let me know what his price was (it's still a few hundred dollars off) so I told them I'd be back soon. I got the deal I wanted ($1k over invoice, including maco of $250) the next day. The process was low pressure, which definitely helps.

You have to take time and at least leave the dealership once with the price they offered unless they just got to your price right away. $2k over is very reasonable, but than again it depends on your area, check around the forum to see how much others are getting.

I'd say it takes a couple discussions at least to get to the price you want.

does it hurt my chances if the car isn't in the dealers possession yet? Its on a boat coming into port on May 9th.
      05-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHI
does it hurt my chances if the car isn't in the dealers possession yet? Its on a boat coming into port on May 9th.
No and the dealer rejecting $2K over is ridiculous, keep shopping.

When I e-mailed, I didn't give my offer immediately. I e-mailed my specs and politely asked if he can help me with this deal. He responded yes and that's when I made my offer and the deal was done in 4 e-mails and about 20 mins time including a restroom break.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
Blanko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

I like the letter.

Best I got was - $1000 over invoice and the CA told me he was "taking one for the team". I told him that there was no need and that there would be plenty of other dealerships out there.

I find saying to them that "no is OK" works. If we can't cut a deal then that's ok with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
Punamo
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
It shouldn't. It really depends on your level of desperation. If you really have to have that car then they'll have the upper hand. Just remember there're always other dealers around and be prepared to walk any time.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #16
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ordered blk s 330 sp, pr, cold

Quote:
Not really. A car being on the lot costs more money than a car that hasn't been there yet. No washing and keeping there. Dealers love to get rid of cars before they touch down.

Keep in mind, in your area 3's may just fly off the lot, so they may be in a better position than what some people indicate here.

I got my car around $1000 over invoice, but I got both sets of floor mats, alarm and black lines thrown in. I think I got a good deal. I ordered the car as well. I am in Pittsburgh and I think this area is a good place to buy a car. Oh yeah, and 1.9% financing!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #17
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis
Not really. A car being on the lot costs more money than a car that hasn't been there yet. No washing and keeping there. Dealers love to get rid of cars before they touch down.

Keep in mind, in your area 3's may just fly off the lot, so they may be in a better position than what some people indicate here.

I got my car around $1000 over invoice, but I got both sets of floor mats, alarm and black lines thrown in. I think I got a good deal. I ordered the car as well. I am in Pittsburgh and I think this area is a good place to buy a car. Oh yeah, and 1.9% financing!

BMWs are definitely common around Boston, but not as much as say NY or Cali.

Lets see what happens today. Wish me luck.
      05-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #18
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ordered blk s 330 sp, pr, cold

Sounds like they happen to have the car you want on a boat coming to their dealership. That is a good thing as far as timing, but they probably know that and your deal may not be quite as good. Boston may be a harder place to get a deal as well. Cali, seems to be a little tougher. Negotiate a price and then say at the end, if you throw in mats, alarm, etc. I will go for it. Those items don't cost all that much to the dealers, but they do to you. It is another few hundred anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #19
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I keep getting the "oh, we are losing money if we sell you the car at $42k" blah blah blah.

Should I just talk to another sales rep?
Yes, definitely talk to another dealer/sales rep then. A large percentage of the people on the forum (myself included) began their negotiations with their sales rep by saying I want to pay $xxx over invoice and found dealers willing to deal with them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #20
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, what are the chances that 3 lease calculators are wrong and one sales person who claims that he writes up the lease figures himself is right?

guy at FM west told me $650 for the lease with lower figures than another dealer who quoted me $560 with higher cap cost.
      05-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #21
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Ok, what are the chances that 3 lease calculators are wrong and one sales person who claims that he writes up the lease figures himself is right?

guy at FM west told me $650 for the lease with lower figures than another dealer who quoted me $560 with higher cap cost.
\

Post your cap cost here and sticker price. Also the tax rate and MV fees and total down and I will run the lease for you on my lease system at work and let you know the right number. If you were in NJ I would try to work with you.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 09:35 AM   #22
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
\

Post your cap cost here and sticker price. Also the tax rate and MV fees and total down and I will run the lease for you on my lease system at work and let you know the right number. If you were in NJ I would try to work with you.

where in Jersey are you? I might head down to visit someone.

MSRP $42755
Cap cost $41255
tax rate 5%
term 36 mo
their residual 64%
MF .00225

thanks alpine!