E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > San Diego autox with dad's focus

12-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

San Diego autox with dad's focus

Took my dad's 2000 zx3 to the autocross on Saturday. It was a blast. Before the event, I changed shoes, oil, brake fluid, and upgraded to Hawk HPS pads. Other than that, its the same old, poorly maintained focus that dad drives to work every day.

Obviously, the car is slow. Sadly, the brakes didn't whoa down the car as quickly as I would have liked. The tires were loud and cheap. But, once I adjusted the tire pressures to 38 front, 44 rear, the car was able to rotate pretty good.

I really really enjoyed the day and my laps. I was thinking about the differences between this and the 335. The major one is, with 300 hp, autox is a game of getting into and through the elements so that I can committ to the throttle as soon as possible. Like a game of managing the power. With the focus, its about trying to conserve all the speed that little 4 cylinder could find. My instructor buddy had some funny things to say about driving a low power front drive car. "That pedal in the middle, yeah, we want to use that as little as possible." "The pedal on the right, that's a switch. Either on or off."

My car with me in it would have posted something like a 93 second lap. The foucs was able to break 100 seconds on the last run. I beat lots of BMWs with that time. I think the car was the slowest thing there. But, it wasn't driven the slowest.

Next time, me and dad will share the car at the autocross. He's very excited about having a go.

Oh, just an fyi, the car was bogging at 4k in 2nd gear, mid turn. We think it was a fuel starvation thing. I filled up the gas tank and no more loss of power mid turn.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
T7R_Sky
"I know you know that I know you know..."
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
When is the next Autox day down there? I'm thinking about going one of these times.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7R_Sky View Post
When is the next Autox day down there? I'm thinking about going one of these times.
the SD BMWCCA 2009 schedule isn't known yet. How about I'll let you know when the schedule is finalized? You'll have lots of fun.

Now, there is a LA SCCA event next weekend at the California Speedway. And, there is a PCA autocross at Qualcomm next weekend too. I'm considering the PCA event. Fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Haha, I love going down to qualcomm and watching those events
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
325racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 92 325is

Unfortunalty for PCA you must be a member and they do not allow NON P cars except for 1 event a year, which may be the one coming up.

For the Focus, with those crappy tires, I'd probably go all the way up to 49 psi in the rear and see what happens. And yes, I think I remember having that fuel starve issue on the one I used to autox back in the day.
      12-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

awesome. i used to autoX a focus in college. i found that hawk hps aren't better than the stock pads other than less dusting. and with crappy tires high tire pressures made the car feel 'tossable' but lower pressure was actually faster from more grip

my favorite 'upgrade' was OEM HID lights from the 'mach' trim level. at the time they were stupendously cheap at $159 per headlight. incredible deal for bi-xenon headlights!!

you should build that car up for 'spec focus'
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325racer View Post
Unfortunalty for PCA you must be a member and they do not allow NON P cars except for 1 event a year, which may be the one coming up.

For the Focus, with those crappy tires, I'd probably go all the way up to 49 psi in the rear and see what happens. And yes, I think I remember having that fuel starve issue on the one I used to autox back in the day.
I think this weekend is that one event! I got confirmation from the AutoX director that I'm clear to drive. Gotta trade the S-10 for the Focus again. Maybe I'll talk pops into autoxing with me.

In order to drive the Focus fast... do I have to drive all cracked-out like you? Or, my slow hands as seen in the in-car will just net me slow times?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
325racer
Private First Class
Rep

You have to drive it all Cracked-Out like me!!!!!!!!!! You gotta keep the right pedal on the floor and the front wheels pointed as straight as possible at all times.

Try going with the 38psi front, and 49psi in the rear, the back should want to come around a bit better, that will allow you to point straight with the right pedal ON!
      12-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
satakal
Major
Rep

ON!

got it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
satakal
Major
Rep

I felt a little out of place at the BMW autocross. But, at the PCA event... wow, fish out of water.

I don't know where to start. This was the PCA weekend where they invite thier members to bring out their non P cars. I took that as an opportunity to slip under the radar into their event and get some seat time. The course was rediculously tight in the uphill section. Also, we got a little bit of drizzle in second half of the day. That made it so that the focus would roll over on the outside front corner and just travel straight ignoring my steering input. Its a different challenge to pay attention to the grip level of the fronts and straighten the wheel when the tires are requesting it. Lots in driving is counter-intuitive. Front drive physics included.

Now, on Sunday, I took my car out. Instead of an autox they set up a DE. Basically an autocross but with continuous laps. It was all 2nd and 3rd gear stuff. At one point, I just stuck the 335 in 3rd and didn't shift untill I came off track 20 minutes later. I ended up driving 100 miles and a full tank of gas... in the Q parking lot. I love the focus. I love what it's teaching me. But, its not comparable to a well balanced, good brake, high torque, good traction, rear drive car.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
satakal
Major
Rep

don't blink at 1:30 and 3:30

Anyone watch the show 101 Cars You Must Drive? Ever heard of the Corvette C6RS? The red vette is car 7 of 7. Amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
325racer
Private First Class
Rep

Most importantly did you scare your instructor??? Those P car guys don't usually know what to do with a front drive car.
      12-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
satakal
Major
Rep

My instructor wasn't dissaponted at all when I told him we'd be in a focus for the day. Didn't manage to scare him either. In retrospect, I hate that I started the day overdriving the car then dialing it back. I wish I would have taken it easy then ratchet'd it up to find the limit.

I think I'm gonna have to do alot more autox's before I find an instructor with a similar amount of crappy fwd seat time as you.

Here's what I did on Sunday. That's me getting stopmed in the first minute.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
I think I'm gonna have to do alot more autox's before I find an instructor with a similar amount of crappy fwd seat time as you.
Do SCCA events
Appreciate 0