Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > sports package - winter ???

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
sipark
Rep
Drives: X5

sports package - winter ???

For those who don't live in the south and ordered sports package...

Do you plan on purchasing another set of wheels/tires for winter seasons, or replacing the tires with all season tires?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
I bought myself a set of winter tires/wheels last season, and its one of the best decisions of my life, heres why:

1) EASY. I can put the winter setup on my car in the convenience of my own home because all I have to do is change the wheel instead of going to a wheel shop to get the tires mounted

2) SAFE. nothing like winter tires in the snow, i'm telling you, I was running circles around SUVs in my little tiny rear wheel drive BMW that has coilovers and is lowered to the ground, why ? because its all about tires and snow tires will outperform any all season tire any day of the year in the snow

3) CHEAP. snow tires will last for a few seasons, this last season i used maybee 1/4th of the tread, so this set can last me quite a long time (probably the life of this car), and all those winter months i'm running on my snow tires, i'm not wasting the tread on my summer tires.
      07-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Black325i
'06 325i / Jet Black / 6sp manual / Sports Package / Active Steering / Adap Lights
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Its good to know that with the snows, there should be no problem in the snow, which is basically 1/3 of the year here. How much should I expect to pay for rubber and winter rims. I'm just looking for something that is not ugly, and likely 16".

Any guidance is very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black325i
Its good to know that with the snows, there should be no problem in the snow, which is basically 1/3 of the year here. How much should I expect to pay for rubber and winter rims. I'm just looking for something that is not ugly, and likely 16".

Any guidance is very much appreciated.
There's a sticky at the top of this forum for winter tires/wheels sets from tirerack.. here's the link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

The car I just sold- 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T Sport Luxury Package- came with 17 inch rims and all season tires. Every year I slowly and dangerously made my way around town as the winters here can get pretty nasty.

I decided that if I could afford a new BMW I should get a decent set of winters.

At www.tiretrends.com, I went with 17 inch Dunlop Winter M3 Sport DSST's on Replica Wheels M3 rims. I am looking for a huge improvement in how I get around in the cold months.

I found it difficult to find run flat winters. It seems that only Pirelli and Dunlop are producing them...here in Canada anyway.

Goof luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
mikepinkerton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I used the links in the sticky but the tires available in the package aren't runflats. Better hope that flatbed is near when you run over something bad

And $1200 to boot with the cheapest set of rims. Ouch!
-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

I am teacher and dont have to work when it snows so I dont really care about snow tires, plus the wife has an RX330 if I need to go out.
Appreciate 0