ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
docwalker
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M Sport

Red face adding a sub to standard system

Hi Folks

Another newbie here, very proud and happy owner of a 3.0si . I have a couple of questions...

Firstly I have the stock
stereo and really fancy adding a couple of speakers into the door and more importantly an amp and a couple of 6x9 or subs in the storage bins. I am not looking for the ultimate sound system... just something with a little more bite and bass.

My questions are how is best to wire up the amp? Shall I splice the rear speakers inputs into a speaker line-in on a suitable amp? Or is their a better way? Secondly where could I source a remote line-in input from the headunit?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I don't know what stereo your car has but here is what I would do-

Go somewhere like crutchfield.com and input your car to see what options you have to upgrade the sound system. Most likely, you will want a set of component speakers with 6.5" and a tweeter for the doors/kick panels if your car will accommodate. Do NOT get 6*9 for the trunk- Amp/Sub combos for the trunk is easy. If you want something really small that rocks pretty good- the JL8W7 with a 500watt JL Amp will give you quite a bit without pissing off the neighbors and takin up your whole trunk. Seriously though, forget the 6*9 idea. Yes you will need line converters to wire it up. A better way is to replace the entire head unit and start fresh. Another better way is to get the JL Clean sweep setup (this will preserve your factory head unit)...you can read more on line about that.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
mike87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

This may help:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63030
Appreciate 0