BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Issue with navigation in instrument cluster...

04-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
imyy4u
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Issue with navigation in instrument cluster...

So I recently used Apple Maps for the first time the other day and then afterwards my map in my instrument cluster stopped working.

I have powered off and on my phone, turned the car off and on, let it rest overnight, and nothing works.

I have a 2020 M5C if that matters. I also searched and see others had this same issue after using Apple Maps but not sure what the final fix ever was.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
jamodeo
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

First I'd try iDrive reboot. Hold the volume/radio power button down until the screen shuts off (about 30 sec) and let go. It will reboot the iDrive screen and the middle part of your instrument cluster. I don't believe any data should be lost or at risk with this process.

Other than that, 100% guesses here if that's alright; try going in the display settings for the instrument cluster and toggle the view from whatever is selected to something else to see if it changes. It looks like the driver assistant view is what's displayed, but changing might get it out of being stuck. Might also try using the built in navigation and start a route, you can cancel the route right after to see if it gets out of this.

Did you have anything coded or changed? I've just never seen the drive modes displayed below the gear indicator before in this kombi. Very cool!

-Joe
      04-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
Jesus90389
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
I also have a 2020 F90 and have had this issue. It usually happens when you navigate on Apple Maps and end navigation on your phone after you have already shut off the car. It's best to turn off navigation on its own when it reaches the destination or you yourself before you turn the car off in case you deviated a bit and navigation didn't end. I have seen success with resetting the idrive like mentioned above or also starting a new navigation on Apple maps and then ending it while connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
imyy4u
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamodeo View Post
First I'd try iDrive reboot. Hold the volume/radio power button down until the screen shuts off (about 30 sec) and let go. It will reboot the iDrive screen and the middle part of your instrument cluster. I don't believe any data should be lost or at risk with this process.

Other than that, 100% guesses here if that's alright; try going in the display settings for the instrument cluster and toggle the view from whatever is selected to something else to see if it changes. It looks like the driver assistant view is what's displayed, but changing might get it out of being stuck. Might also try using the built in navigation and start a route, you can cancel the route right after to see if it gets out of this.

Did you have anything coded or changed? I've just never seen the drive modes displayed below the gear indicator before in this kombi. Very cool!

-Joe
I do have seatbelts coded out, but that's about it. Nothing with the instrument cluster. This is standard on 2020 and newer I think.

I'll try the reset as you suggested.
Appreciate 0