ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Sirius Installation

I just finished installing the bmw oem sirius kit on my M coupe

Installation was fairly simple and if you have done a DICE installation its pretty much the same thing.

took about 30 mins total

Powered it up, everything works well, even the dice works flawlessly.

On my drive up this morning I was having signal issues, I expected this however.

I mounted the antenna under the roof of the car. Reception was good in open areas but horrid in between mountains.

To all coupe owners..where did you mount your antenna? Im am trying to avoid external mounting.
      12-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

how about inside the windshield next to the mirror mount. it is where i put my 'speedpass' and i barely notice this that is there now. i have been wondering this myself, i'd like XM, but there is no way i am putting that antenna on the exterior.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I put mine in the middle of the dashboard right up next to the windshield. Seems to work fairly well. I have had several cars with Sirius now (2 with OEM roof mount antennae) and all are going to have problems where the terrain blocks your view of the satellites.

My new mount location seems to be about average for that and my reception will drop off when I am driving in heavily forested areas and anywhere where the terrain to the south of me are too high for a clean shot at the transmitting satellites.
      12-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
I put mine in the middle of the dashboard right up next to the windshield. Seems to work fairly well. I have had several cars with Sirius now (2 with OEM roof mount antennae) and all are going to have problems where the terrain blocks your view of the satellites.

My new mount location seems to be about average for that and my reception will drop off when I am driving in heavily forested areas and anywhere where the terrain to the south of me are too high for a clean shot at the transmitting satellites.
how did you run the wire?
      12-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I went along the edge of the windshield over to the passenger side and then followed the joint between the dash pieces over to the rubber door edge. I went down along the door until I got the the side panel down by the passenger's footwell and then followed that back towards the front tucking the wire just behind the panel. Once you are down to the carpet on the bottom, keep following the edge of the plastic edge tucking the wire just under it all the way back to behind the passenger seat. Right where the panel starts to curve around the back of the seat you can poke the antenna wire right up inside of the small cavity that can be accessed from the rear where the satellite receiver is and just run it along the bottom with the other wires to the receiver.

It's a lot easier to see this if you are looking at your car while you read it. Trying to follow this without looking at the car will probably seem a little abstract.
      12-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
I went along the edge of the windshield over to the passenger side and then followed the joint between the dash pieces over to the rubber door edge. I went down along the door until I got the the side panel down by the passenger's footwell and then followed that back towards the front tucking the wire just behind the panel. Once you are down to the carpet on the bottom, keep following the edge of the plastic edge tucking the wire just under it all the way back to behind the passenger seat. Right where the panel starts to curve around the back of the seat you can poke the antenna wire right up inside of the small cavity that can be accessed from the rear where the satellite receiver is and just run it along the bottom with the other wires to the receiver.

It's a lot easier to see this if you are looking at your car while you read it. Trying to follow this without looking at the car will probably seem a little abstract.
ok , ill try this one out