E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No crank no start

03-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N54 335i x drive

Wire broke off BST now no crank no start (starter?)

My 09 335 was parked last year before winter however I would go out to start it often drive it down the road and make sure the battery wasn't draining. One day it wouldn't start maybe a few clicks and it was clear it was the battery the dash even said battery has low volts. I replace the battery but while doing so I ripped a wire that connected to the back of the bst right off(see pictures) I didn't notice it because it was dark and after replacing the battery I had the same exact no crank no start maybe a click or two. Jump to current day (today) i had the battery on charger reading 13.4 Volts before re installing and after installing I can hear 1-2 clicks faintly from starter and the fuel pump humming but still no crank all electronics work besides that. The car is in a horrible spot to be parked and probably can't be towed.
-Does any one know if this wire that broke could cause this no crank no start?
The wire is the black wire that broke off the red positive battery terminal.
-Dealership doesn't know what I'm referring to when calling.

Here's what I've tried to no avail
I've replaced the battery in non comfort access fob
Replaced car battery
Replaced Starter relay fuse that powers starter
Tried smacking my starter and starting it
Unplugging ibs

Any information will help I'm leaning towards a starter motor which I can replace my self but before spending the money maybe someone else has had similar issues. Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 11:50 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If the trigger line that goes to the starter goes high and battery that
is attached to the starter is good the starter should turn over.
(assuming the engine is not siezed)
There are lot's of DIY's on changing everything in this car on Ytube
if you search.

https://www.google.com/search?client...TkPIPhaOBkA823

Get out the voltmeter

If the BST has fired or gets damaged it cuts voltage to the motor.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 6a E90 GENERAL VEHICLE ELECTRICAL (1).pdf (3.52 MB, 109 views)

Last edited by ctuna; 03-31-2022 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply ctuna would you happen to know what that black wire is and if it does anything to the BST if not connected? If that is considered damage to BST that would explain the no crank no start but how can I be sure
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

this link
BST being triggered is also sometimes associated with seat belt error's

In order to get block and electrical diagrams you need to have Ista D.
It's a good idea to get BMW Standard Tools and Ista D going if you work
on your car.
Requires a Laptop win 7 to 11 , K/D can cable (bimmergeeks recommended)
And the time it takes to set it up.

There are Ytube Diy's on how to troubleshoot a BST problem.

GET A VOLTMETER if you haven't got one and learn to use it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References, 220216 Revision-1.pdf (232.4 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by ctuna; 03-31-2022 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
this link
BST being triggered is also sometimes associated with seat belt error's

In order to get block and electrical diagrams you need to have Ista D.
It's a good idea to get BMW Standard Tools and Ista D going if you work
on your car.
Requires a Laptop win 7 to 11 , K/D can cable (bimmergeeks recommended)
And the time it takes to set it up.

There are Ytube Diy's on how to troubleshoot a BST problem.

GET A VOLTMETER if you haven't got one and learn to use it.
I have everything you said k dcan connecter laptop with inpa instead of the ista you said but I can get ista. I have a volt meter and know how to use it on battery but not how to check that wire or if I'm getting voltage to starter. If my BST was bad and I order a replacement the wire that is broken doesn't come with the new BST if I knew what that wire was and it's functions I'd be able to pin point if this wire is causing issues or if it's the starter it's self. I've watched the videos on the BST and can't seem to find the information I'm looking for besides how to change it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 04:36 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson335i View Post
I have everything you said k dcan connecter laptop with inpa instead of the ista you said but I can get ista. I have a volt meter and know how to use it on battery but not how to check that wire or if I'm getting voltage to starter...
Since you have INPA (and Multimeter), Check voltage at Jumpstart Terminal under Red Cap as explained in other thread. THEN:

1) Use INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory All Modules; to read fault codes in ALL ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle; SAVE ScreenPrints of the two Screens, and attach them here.

1a) See attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" for example screens and HOW to save ScreenPrints to attach here.

2) Use INPA > CAS (Body | Car Access System) > F5 Status > F2 Analog Status > F1 Diagnose Terminals; Screens will look like those attached to NEXT Post.

3) Save ScreenPrint with Ignition ON (press START button WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch).

4) Save ScreenPrint of SAME Screen at moment the START Button is pressed with Brake/Clutch pedal pressed. Terminal 50 (KL50) should have voltage and/or Amps bar graph when that happens.

Let us know the Last-7 Characters of your VIN and particularly if you have AT or MT. There are other screens to determine if P/N signal, Brake Signal, Clutch Signal are being received by CAS, and other details. Just post those screens for now, and we can suggest Next Steps.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 36 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 04:44 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are ScreenPrints of INPA > CAS > F5 Status > F2 Analog > F1 CAS Terminal Diagnosis, as described in prior post.

1) First ScreenPrint is with Ignition ON. KL30L & KL30E are voltages from two CAS Fuses. KLR is Radio/Brake Lights Active.
KL15 is Ignition Relay activation. KL30G is Accessory Relay Activation. Both are on JB Fuse Panel (KL15 soldered to board).

2) Second ScreenPrint is with START pressed AND Brake/Clutch pressed. KL50 is Starter Solenoid Activation by CAS.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-01-2022, 06:40 AM   #8
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
I have everything you said k dcan connecter laptop with inpa instead of the ista you said but I can get ista. I have a volt meter and know how to use it on battery but not how to check that wire or if I'm getting voltage to starter...
Since you have INPA (and Multimeter), Check voltage at Jumpstart Terminal under Red Cap as explained in other thread. THEN:

1) Use INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory All Modules; to read fault codes in ALL ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle; SAVE ScreenPrints of the two Screens, and attach them here.

1a) See attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" for example screens and HOW to save ScreenPrints to attach here.

2) Use INPA > CAS (Body | Car Access System) > F5 Status > F2 Analog Status > F1 Diagnose Terminals; Screens will look like those attached to NEXT Post.

3) Save ScreenPrint with Ignition ON (press START button WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch).

4) Save ScreenPrint of SAME Screen at moment the START Button is pressed with Brake/Clutch pedal pressed. Terminal 50 (KL50) should have voltage and/or Amps bar graph when that happens.

Let us know the Last-7 Characters of your VIN and particularly if you have AT or MT. There are other screens to determine if P/N signal, Brake Signal, Clutch Signal are being received by CAS, and other details. Just post those screens for now, and we can suggest Next Steps.
George
Alright I'm going to try all this now thank you George I will be back with the screen prints shortly
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #9
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Attached are ScreenPrints of INPA > CAS > F5 Status > F2 Analog > F1 CAS Terminal Diagnosis, as described in prior post.

1) First ScreenPrint is with Ignition ON. KL30L & KL30E are voltages from two CAS Fuses. KLR is Radio/Brake Lights Active.
KL15 is Ignition Relay activation. KL30G is Accessory Relay Activation. Both are on JB Fuse Panel (KL15 soldered to board).

2) Second ScreenPrint is with START pressed AND Brake/Clutch pressed. KL50 is Starter Solenoid Activation by CAS.
George
Hey George, How do you know what those "KL" numbers actually mean? Are you just dynamically changing events, switches and pedals in the car and then watching the INPA screen respond?

Or, do you just know what these cryptic KL numbers actually designate? And if so how?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #10
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

George
Hey sorry took awhile to get out and get the pictures but here they are
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:43 PM   #11
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

George
I've also installed new starter and having same symptoms no crank no start no different after installing new Bosch starter I've used multi meter to check the grounds all of the positive grounds are reading 12 plus volts constantly in the engine bay including the one with red cap I've also tried jump starting the car to no avail but I was getting higher volts from the battery reading 14 plus volts when jumper cables are on. I have not tried reading volts from the jumpstart terminals with key on yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #12
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

George
Alright I'm going to try all this now thank you George I will be back with the screen prints shortly
Module codes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 10:52 AM   #13
Wilson335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

George
-
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 12:18 AM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey sorry took awhile to get out and get the pictures but here they are
Quote:
I've also installed new starter and having same symptoms no crank no start no different after installing new Bosch starter I've used multi meter to check the grounds all of the positive grounds are reading 12 plus volts constantly in the engine bay including the one with red cap I've also tried jump starting the car to no avail but I was getting higher volts from the battery reading 14 plus volts when jumper cables are on. I have not tried reading volts from the jumpstart terminals with key on yet.
Welcome back!!
I just do this stuff to try to "stay sharp", but at my age, I forget most of what I knew two weeks ago.

Sorry you wasted time/money on new starter. LOTS of codes there, but FIRST we should concentrate on CAS Module Codes and Live Data. I have NOT looked-up definitions of all the codes in modules other than CAS & DME yet, but the CAS is what must send voltage (KL50) to the Starter Solenoid to get Starter to Crank Engine, and that is NOT happening, even though you have 12+V at the Jumpstart B+ Terminal under the hood.

Good ScreenPrints of the CAS Terminal Status! Several things jump out from those ScreenPrints, compared to my properly-functioning Start Circuit in ScreenPrints attached to Post #7 in this thread:
1) In your first ScreenPrint of CAS Terminal Diagnosis attached to Post #10, the KL15, KL30G and KLR voltages are fine, with Ignition ON, but START NOT pressed with foot on brake.
2) HOWEVER, notice that KL50 Amps is ".81A". That suggests a short internal to the CAS Module, as there should NOT be any current flow from KL50 until START & Brake pressed at SAME time. Your KL50 Voltage is also .13V instead of "0.00V".
3) In your 2nd ScreenPrint of CAS Terminal Diagnosis, when START is pressed with Brake pressed, KL50 voltage is 11.70V while KL30L voltage is 11.83V (that is the Load Fuse voltage).
4) There is virtually NO Voltage drop, which should be ~ 1.5V to 2.0V; that means all voltage readings should be in ~ 10.0V range when START & Brake are pressed; that means your Starter is NOT drawing any current -- the Starter Solenoid is NOT being activated despite an apparent KL50 start signal (voltage sent to Starter Solenoid).
5) KL50L Amps should be ~ 10A when START is pressed. NOTE that my KL50L Current (Amps) in the 2nd attachment to post #7 is "0". That is an issue with that particular version of INPA, as another version of INPA clearly shows nearly 10A KL50L Current when START is pressed.

I will provide specific steps in post tomorrow:
A) How to "Hotwire" Starter Solenoid using "Jumper" 12V+ supply to a connector in the E-box that runs directly to the Starter Solenoid, so you don't have to remove the intake manifold. IF your intake manifold is still removed from Starter Replacement, please let me know.
B) How to measure for voltage from the CAS Module (KL50 Voltage Signal) when START button is pressed, at same connector in E-box under hood.
C) How to use INPA to quickly test for Brake and P/N signals as received by the CAS. Those Signals MUST be received to send KL50 Signal to Starter Solenoid.

This may seem like an insurmountable problem, but we can probably at least get the engine started so you can move the car. You appear to have either:
1) a wiring fault in the KL50 line from the CAS to the Starter Solenoid (which passes through two connectors in the E-box), OR
2) an internal fault in the CAS Module, which hopefully can be repaired at reasonable cost by a Module Repair Shop.

Part II to come in 12 hours or less.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #15
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I will provide specific steps in post tomorrow:
A) How to "Hotwire" Starter Solenoid using "Jumper" 12V+ supply to a connector in the E-box that runs directly
to the Starter Solenoid, so you don't have to remove the intake manifold. IF your intake manifold is still removed
from Starter Replacement, please let me know.
B) How to measure for voltage from the CAS Module (KL50 Voltage Signal) when START button is pressed, at
same connector in E-box under hood.
C) How to use INPA to quickly test for Brake and P/N signals as received by the CAS. Those Signals MUST be
received to send KL50 Signal to Starter Solenoid...
Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints showing "S_50" Starter Signal line from CAS Module to Starter (M6510a) Solenoid, with
Location diagrams and Connector Views of the two Intermediate Connectors of that line, X6011 & X60551/X60531 in E-box.
I would assume that the entry "X60531" in the wiring diagram should be X60551, or vice versa for the X60551 in location.

A) You can "Hotwire" the Starter Solenoid:
MAKE SURE PARK SELECTED & HANDBRAKE FIRMLY SET. You are defeating the "Safety Switches" related to FootBrake application
& P/N Gear Selection when you hotwire the Solenoid. Open the E-box, identify Connector X6011. There should be a Black wire
(medium-large thickness, 2.5mm-squared cross section) at Pin #1 of X6011. That is the KL50 Signal wire from CAS Module.
Disconnect X6011 and identify the Pin/Socket the Black wire from CAS was connected to. THAT is the line to the Starter.
"TAP" (very brief application of Voltage) that Pin/Socket with 12V+ from the B+ Jumpstart Terminal (under Red Cap), to
see if the starter solenoid clicks. If it does, and if PARK SELECTED, apply voltage there (carefully) and see if Starter
turns engine. If it does NOT, check back for other suggestions.

B) With Helper to Press START Button with foot on Brake, test for 12V+ in reference to Chassis Ground, at Black Wire,
X6011/1, when START Button is pressed. Let us know what you find in that test. If there is NOT 12V+, there is an issue
with the wiring between CAS Module and X6011/1, or the CAS Module itself.

C) IF there was NOT 12V+ at the Black wire, X6011/1 when START pressed with foot on brake, use INPA as follows:
INPA > CAS (Body | Car Access System) > F5 Status > F1 Digital > F2 Terminal Control
That is the "Menu Selection Sequence" to connect to the CAS Module and read Live Data related to Brake & P/N
Signals which must be received by the CAS Module BEFORE it will send KL50 Start Signal voltage to Starter Solenoid.
The two circles on top row MUST be filled/black when "P" selected & Brake pressed, with Ignition ON.

If any questions following the above, don't be afraid to experiment with INPA menu selections in F5 Status.
Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #16
mattwval
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

335i won't crank but the starter powers on.

I was doing a pull in my 335i when a whooshing noise like a boost leak started but then my car said engine malfunction and proceeded to slowly die. When I coasted off the road I tried to start it but all that there is is a whirling noise from the starter. The car also threw camshaft sensor codes for inlet and exhaust. As well as firing 1-6 cylinders. Does anyone know what this is or has had this same issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 10:29 PM   #17
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

That plug for me was associated with the air bag and seat belt sensors in my 328xi. My car would start with it disconnected though. When I reattached it the dash lights all cleared.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #18
Franklinfatulo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335xi

i had a similar issue when i bought my car, had a brand new battery, one day i turned it on to let idle for a bit since i didnt use it as much, turned it off worked on it for bit here and there then try to turn it on again it didnt cranked at all, it was a ground strap, one i believe under driver side chassis to engine, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 09:03 PM   #19
rick_flying_machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M sport 6spd

Hi gbalthrop

I have a similar issue on my 135i/N55. I replaced the starter and HPFP this winter as I was having long cranks and I was happy to see that everything was resolved as it fired right up afterwards (not sure if the issue was the HPFP or starter, but the starter is fairly cheap and being in the area, it seemed like a good idea)

I used the car a few times with no problem and then after a longer trip, the car wouldn't start and I had to have the car towed. I thought the new starter was maybe bad, but after putting back the old one, I'm still left with the same issue.

I checked the clutch and INPA confirm all is ok when pressed/depressed. The KL50L shows however an amp overload. As I've eliminated the starter as being the issue, what next steps would you take? I've attached the inpa screenshots without and with the start sequence engaged. thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by rick_flying_machine; 04-20-2023 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #20
rick_flying_machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M sport 6spd

For those who might have similar readings in INPA and symptoms, the culprit was the B+ positive cable that runs to the starter and alternator. It was completely corroded at one of the junctions. Just replaced it and it starts fine now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0