E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > X3 loaner vs. 335i

12-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
X3 loaner vs. 335i

My 335i is at the dealer, this time because the particulate filter replacement light came on (2yrs). I again said that the car often took too long to crank, sometimes 10-20 seconds or so, which is annoying and embarassing. They had replaced the HPFP in the Spring, updated the software (to the dreaded 29.blah+), and were convinced that they had done everything. The found some faults and wanted to keep it overnight to do more work, and now the HPFP is being replaced again, along with a fuel line. Believe it or not, I haven't let this bother me nearly as much as some folks on this board, with my only "fear" being that it would fail at an inconvenient time.

The dealer gave me a nearly new X3 loaner with just over 900 miles on it, black with a tan interior. With the snow we've had in the past 24 hours I was glad that they gave me something that could handle it, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to compare it a bit to my 335i, and to the '01 X5 I owned years ago. So a few observations and opinions.

I don't really care for the exterior of the X3 much, and it seems to have suffered from the styling foibles of the pre-e92 era. It isn't ugly so much as awkward, and I have high hopes that the next one will be better. Bangle's bungles will be purged as each model is cycled, and all will be right again.

The interior looks nice at first, but once inside the tan color really starts to look cheap. I had a similar color in my X5, and it always seemed a bit too fake and plasticky. I can't tell if this X3 has leatherette or leather, but the seats felt okay, they just looked bad in this color. Beyond the tan, what bothered me most about the interior was the "tri-tone" dash with black on top, a tan strip, wood, then more tan. Get rid of the black on the top or make the whole thing black, but at least be consistent.

It took less than 2 minutes to see that there were many cheap and/or older parts in the car. The gauges seem very small, the digital displays have huge pixels, and the radio, climate controls, etc. all reminded me a lot of those in my X5, which I bought new almost exactly 8 years ago. They're not the worst in the world, and they're better than in some other cars, but they're not so hot compared to those in the 335i. If I were buying a first gen X5, last-gen 3 series, etc., I wouldn't mind them, but I'd be upset if I bought a "new" BMW that had these in them.

Now before you think that I didn't like anything about the X3, let me tell you that I was impressed with how it drove. When I first drove it yesterday it was cold and there were a few flakes, but no real snow, so I got the feel for it in the dry. The steering had the same nice, solid, and planted feel that I expect in a BMW, and that it was heated was a bonus. The same with the brakes, and if there is anything that the X3 does better than the 335i, it's provide good braking feel. Something in the 335i brakes is a bit too "grabby" for my tastes, and it's been like that from day one until now. The X3's brake pedal felt quite normal, and I'd like BMW to undo whatever it is they've done to screw up the 335i.

I also found the acceleration to be very good, even up hills. No, it's not going to keep up with a 335i, and I wouldn't expect it to, but it felt good for a two-ton SUV. The specs show it having 260 HP, which explains why it felt much better than my 01 X5, which weighed ~500lbs more and had 35 less HP. Count me among those who think that BMW should bring back the 330i with this engine and bump the 335i up to 330 or so HP.

The automatic transmission also felt good, and made me curious as to which one it has. I wouldn't say it's as nice as the one in the 335i, but it wasn't as "bad" as I was expecting it to be. If this is a GM-sourced unit, then I guess I just don't see where it is so awful, no matter where it comes from. The shifts were smooth, and in the manumatic mode it did just fine, although I can't imagine doing that very often. It's been so long that I can't recall much about the X5's tranny, except that it struggled with hills and made me wish I'd have opted for the V8.

This morning we had 2-4" of snow on my commute, with temps in the low 20's and black ice in spots. The xdrive did it's job and felt fine, although I would bet that this thing wouldn't do much better than my 335i with snow tires in many conditions. Put snow tires on it and I'm sure it would, but with all-seasons the AWD is only so good. I tried it with DTC on and off, and held down the DTC button to see what would happen, which was that a "4x4" icon appeared. I guessed that this was something for really bad conditions, and there was no manual in the glovebox to consult. I turned it off as I figured it was probably not enough to warrant it.

Compared to my e92 the cabin felt big and airy, in fact seeming bigger from the inside than it looks from the outside. Not quite the TARDIS, but at least the front seats seemed roomy enough. My 12 year old stepson was in the back seat this morning and said that his mom's GX470 was "like four times more roomy," and at a glance I'd have to agree with him. He's 5'5" or so and around 110lbs, so he's not huge, but he likes roomy cars. Well, he likes my 335i when he gets to ride in the front and I take him out to do some burnouts, acceleration bursts, high-G turns, etc., but that's another story.

I found the seats to be fairly comfortable, although I missed the thigh extensions in the e92. As I said earlier the steering felt good, but the slight angle of the steering wheel would annoy me over time. Chalk it up to my OC tendencies or something, but I really want the center of the steering wheel to line up perfectly with the center of the seat, and for the overall "plane" of it to be perpendicular to the seat back. The X3 wheel looked like it was pointing towards the center of the car, something I've come to expect on my '03 GMC pickup and some other cars, but not on a BMW.

The rear cargo area seems small, but as I had read, it was bigger than that of my X5. I traded in the X5 within a year because it "failed" when I tried to haul a big box, which shocked me. Yes, I knew it was a "SAV" when I bought it, but I didn't think that it would be so utterly useless for ordinary truck/SUV tasks. Would the X3 pass? I'm not sure, but at a glance it looks like it might.

Other things that I noticed was the lack of convenience features that I've come to expect from the 335i. I tried to "flick" the turnstalks to signal a lane change, only to realize that the X3 has old-fashioned stalks that "bonk" into place. When I got home last night I reached for the start-stop button, and then fumbled for the key. Despite having just done this, I still touched the top of the door handle to lock the car, and then reached into my pocket to fumble for the door lock button. How quaint. Silly? Perhaps, but once you've had comfort access, keyless entry, or whatever you call it, you'll realize what a good idea it really is.

I also miss my Sirius radio, and in my 335i I have maybe listened to 20 minutes of old-fashioned FM in the 2+ years I've had it. Same with Bluetooth, where I never have to fool around with my mobile phone as the car does it all for me. The 335i purposely doesn't have iDrive, so I didn't miss that, but I wondered what the X3 navigation option would be like. Hopefully it isn't anything like the pre-iDrive infernal mess that my X5 came with.

So after this long-winded post, how would I summarize it? As I told my wife, if I had less than $40k to spend, a new base X3 or a slightly used X3 with some options would be my choice over most anything else. At that price point there are only a few options that are much nicer in terms of the interior, etc., but none that I think would drive nearly as well. However, if I spec one out close to what my 335i has, the price is in the high $40k range, and at that point things become much more interesting. I'd consider stretching a bit to the X5, or getting a slightly used new style X5. Or I might look at some of the other premium SUVs, even those that don't drive as well.

What I'd really like to see is for the next X3 to have styling closer to that of the X5, e92, F01, etc., along with updated controls, switches, and nicer interior materials. Equip it with the 35d engine, or bring over one of the smaller diesels, and I'd strongly consider one. Oh, and while they're at it, drop the weight by a couple of hundred pounds. Yes, I know how likely that is, but we have to keep our hopes up that cars won't just keep getting more and more bloated.

I hope this didn't come across as too harsh, but I know how funny some folks can be on these forums. I don't love everything about my 335i either, and I don't believe that there is a "perfect" car, nor are there many cars that come anywhere close. BMWs are generally pretty good cars, and the X3 is a pretty good BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Cliffs? I'll read after this post.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
StanfordF15
PIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 5.0i

My father drives an X3. It's not a bad car at all, and the back seat heaters are great in the winters in Seattle. Why it does not have a rear air vent I'm not sure . . .

I do wish BMW would do an update on it though. The human factors are pretty bad, and the navigation is the same as what is in the Z4. It is controlled from a tiny knob on the far side of the center console. I think it is downright dangerous to try to program while moving.

Nice review. Kind of wish I could get one as a loaner instead of the 328s I usually get. Not that I'm complaining, but I wouldn't mind the change of pace.
      12-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
viobruin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

LOVE the fact that you talk about the tri-tone dash. I hate how BMW does tan interiors. Have you seen the new Oyster interior they have on the 09s though? They did it right on that one. The dash is all black and only the seats and side paneling are tan.
      12-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
I haven't seen the oyster in person, but from the pictures it looks great. I'd probably consider it, the only worry being how likely it is to get dirty. I think that the tobacco, saddle, black (which I have), and oyster interiors look good, gray can look okay, but I've never seen a sand beige (or other tans) that I liked much. The funny thing is that I do like the tan/black combo interiors on old Porsches, but that tan seemed to be a bit darker and "richer" than that of modern BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

I love the tan interior in my X3.

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

I also had an 07 X3is for a loaner at one time. I really enjoyed it. I took it on a fishing trip rather than use my extended cab Chevy. It held all my gear, mine and my wifes lugage and our two small dogs nicely. I hate putting stuff on the back seat of any car so I insisted that it all fit in the back, which it did.

I am now really considering one for my self. I would like an M tech package, but could live with out it. I do hope they offer it in a diesel. My only concern is I tow 2 larger utilty ATVs on a 6.5x12 ft trailer a few hundred miles on occasion. I know it weighs less that the X3's max capacity. But I am just unsure how it would handle the load.

Anyone have any experiance towing with an X3?
      12-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i drove x3 for 4 years,it isnt most beautiful car and interior looks cheaper than you will expect from BMW,but that car is ultimative driving machine! i really enjoyed driving it!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viobruin View Post
LOVE the fact that you talk about the tri-tone dash. I hate how BMW does tan interiors. Have you seen the new Oyster interior they have on the 09s though? They did it right on that one. The dash is all black and only the seats and side paneling are tan.
M3 (non-extended leather) is like that too, right?
      12-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
BradF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E53, '08 E90

After driving both, I don't know why anyone would buy an X3 instead of the xdrive E91. The current X3 is fugly. One benefit is that the cargo space is larger than that of my first-gen X5. I went with the X5 anyway because the back seat is much, much roomier.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

My X3 loaner was brand new as well, and the f***** driver's door would not open properly. I had to put the window down and pull the handle from the outside. I know BMW's are not made that well and they're all about driving, but even that surprised me. When I told the dealer about it, they misunderstood and took my door apart. Now it's messed up just like the X3. BMW is nothing short of amazing. But I love the way they drive! And we used the X3 to haul a lot of junk from the house to the dump.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Although I don't think I'd ever see the need in my life to get an X3, I am very impressed with your write-up. Thanks for posting something useful that actually makes me feel less dumb.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

I own an 07 X3 and 08 M3, and even though your writing style is good, I completely disagree with your conclusions.

My X3 has a brown interior, with the "M" package, upgraded seats, and pretty much every option except navigation.
The seats have adjustable thigh support, and are extremely comfortable. The quality of the interior is first rate, and the car has been totally reliable. The seats in my X3 look and feel like leather, because that is what they are made of. They aren't quite as soft as the upgraded leather in my M3, but I'm sure they'll hold their own with your 335.

I purchased it because I needed the utility it offers, but didn't want something as large as an X5. It is much more nimble, and plenty fast.

Before buying my X3 I test drove most of the similar vehicles in it's class. None of them came close, especially in regards to handling. Sure, you can get more "features" in some other SUV's, but the X3 (especially with the sports package) is in it's own class in handling. Last time I checked, I could get Sirius radio in any car, so I wouldn't write off the X3 because your loaner didn't have it.

Your comparison to your wifes GX470 is way off the mark too. If you are going to base your opinion on rear passenger room why not compare it to a Suburban? Seriously, the X3 handles like a sports sedan, and the GX470 is a boat.

I use this car for everything from skiing on weekends, to pulling an enclosed motorcycle trailer, and it works great. I take clients out in it all the time, and never feel like I need to make excuses for it having a cheap interior, switches, or whatever. For that matter, it gets nothing but compliments, and when I go out with friends I usually get stuck driving because they like to ride in it so much.

BMW is doing an update soon (I believe next year), and based on how well my current one has performed, I'll probably buy the next model when I accumulate enough miles on my X3.
From what I hear, it might have the twin turbo 335 engine in it, so I hope they get the fuel pump, lag, and other issues I read about worked out.

Until then, I'm more than glad to drive my current one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Advskier. What size is your trailer? IE. weight and demensions? I use a 6.5x12 ft trailer w/a 3500lb capacity to haul my 2 Can-Am Outlanders. They weigh about 650lb a piece. I am really considering an X3, but it is hinging on its towing ability. Any input would be great.
      12-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

You wouldn't have any problem hauling that type of load.
My trailer is a Wells Cargo 12' enclosed. My X3 tows it effortlessly.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
pplace
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 X3 AT

Warning: criticisms below.

I have a brand new 2009 X3. It is, without exaggeration, the worst driving car I have ever driven much less owned.

This is what it does:

Bounces the cabin up/down, back/forth, side-to-side or all around on imperfections in the road. I am not talking about potholes or manhole covers or railroad tracks. The X3 does this when the road looks smooth.

Stops all by itself when turning corners at low speed.

Decelerates while going downhill also all by itself.

Accelerates like this: push pedal, wait, wait, wait, push pedal harder, wait, wait, wait....oh finally!

It does other bizarre things as well including getting really poor gas mileage.

Between this and the downmarket lack of features this is the last BMW I will ever buy. It is a humongous and extremely expensive disappointment.

Can these issues be fixed? First BMW has to acknowledge that the issues that have been with this car since it came out earlier in the decade ARE STILL WITH THE CAR. The software upgrades may have fixed some issues on some cars but there is something still up with this model.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I love the X3's trick sunroof. Every crossover and estate has it now but it is good of them to add it.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace View Post
Warning: criticisms below.

I have a brand new 2009 X3. It is, without exaggeration, the worst driving car I have ever driven much less owned.

This is what it does:

Bounces the cabin up/down, back/forth, side-to-side or all around on imperfections in the road. I am not talking about potholes or manhole covers or railroad tracks. The X3 does this when the road looks smooth.

Stops all by itself when turning corners at low speed.

Decelerates while going downhill also all by itself.

Accelerates like this: push pedal, wait, wait, wait, push pedal harder, wait, wait, wait....oh finally!

It does other bizarre things as well including getting really poor gas mileage.

Between this and the downmarket lack of features this is the last BMW I will ever buy. It is a humongous and extremely expensive disappointment.

Can these issues be fixed? First BMW has to acknowledge that the issues that have been with this car since it came out earlier in the decade ARE STILL WITH THE CAR. The software upgrades may have fixed some issues on some cars but there is something still up with this model.
Why'd you make the purchase if it sucks so much for you??
      10-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
Cliffs? I'll read after this post.
I dunno, I've gotten the X3 and X5 as loaners.

X3--small, ugly, made a strange ticking sound even though the car was brand-new. Interesting moonroof.

X5--looks good on outside, but not much to it on the inside. Funny push lever forward for R, slow even though 260 HP, not that roomy on the inside.

When I got back into my car after the X5 experience, it really felt nice the way it handled and drove.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #20
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
The X3 has the best drive in the segment period. That is why I purchased my 06 X3 over the hovercraft weeble wobble Lexus RX. If you love to drive, the X3 is the vehicle of choice.
      10-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Good review.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #22
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Had an X3 loaner as well.

I actually thought the manumatic shifted better than my 335i's manumatic. Just as fast but much smoother. I liked the X3 a lot except for the pre-E92 styling which is blah.
Appreciate 0