E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone move from a Z4 to a E92 335i?

12-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Anyone move from a Z4 to a E92 335i?

Gee, can you guess why I'm asking?

After being interested in moving from my Z4 to the forthcoming Z4 for many months, my better half is trying to convince me that I should move to a 4-seater. And by trying to, I mean, she's winning the argument.

I took a 335i 6MT sedan out today. Sadly they didn't have a coupe in 6MT available without moving to M3 territory and I'm not even about to tempt myself with that. I found the steering to be heavy, the clutch light, and the car feeling large. I wasn't terribly impressed with the torque either. The salesman hit the pitch hard about 'usable torque from 1400 rpm', but unless I was purpose-fully driving the vehicle, it wasn't there. The lag could definitely be felt.

Granted, I'm coming from a 225HP Z4, but somehow this sedan didn't impress me as 'quick'. According to the brochures I have, the coupe is only 22lbs lighter and is actually longer than the sedan, so I can't imagine the feel is that much different.

So, my impressions aside, I'm hoping to hear from any other E85 transplants who might be able to lend some insight into what they feel are key differences between the cars after some period of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I have a slightly different comparison, but maybe it'll help. Just came off of a Z4 3.0si (loaded, bigger engine) into a 328xi coupe. Won't be able to judge suspension until I correct it in the E92, but I'm not noticing much of a loss in power. Comfort, luxury, and practicality are certainly increased in the new car. Sportiness - at the moment - is decreased. New springs are to be installed very soon! 335 lag did bother me a tad as well. The N52 is silky smooth and sounds great! Adding the BMW Performance air intake this weekend. And the Performance exhaust within the next few months.
      12-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to keep my 08 z4 until the new one comes out but my fiance talked me out of roadster madness and got me into the 335i coupe.

I moved on from S2k to Z4 3.0si to E92 335i. (all 6mt and with sports pkg)
I felt S2K to Z4 3.0si was a downgrade in terms of performance and from Z4 to 335i an upgrade.
I'm still in break in period in my new 335i but power is definately stronger, and feels faster than z4 even I only rev to 3k rpm.
However, it really feels much heavier, longer and I'm not as confident as I used to when I take corners. It feels like something heavy in the back is dragging you when you take hard corners.

And as for the power wise, comming from your 225hp to 300hp is going to be a night and a day. My 255hp z4 is very sluggish compare to current 335i, as matter of fact, I already start churping tires when I accelerate, I can't wait to drive in full potential.

Overall, I can't be happier with my choice and 4 seater with big trunk is just too nice to have since I haven't had back seats and decent trunk for last 5 years. I forgot what all these good amenities meant.
I was very surprised how much luxury extra $5k got me. Now I look back, if I want a sports car under $50k, lotus would be my only choice.

Get the 335i. You won't regret a single bit.
Well I didn't and I won't.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Moved from a Z4 3.0 manual (2004) to a E93 335. What I didn't like about the Z4 was the electric stearing, the car never felt right and there always seamed like a delay in stearing response. othe rthing I didn't like was it seamed so small with the top up. No comparison in power with E93 and maybe there was something wrong with the one you drove but mine has a ton of torque. Stearing feel is so much more solid although it certainly doesn't grip like the Z4 in corners.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Yes, since the 2009+ models come with newer engine software, it seems the lag is bad....luckily i have an 07, but when i will want to get a new 335 it's going to suck because i will have to deal with something worse than i had before. Maybe later build models will include the lag eliminating update due in January? If not, you might be able to get the updates, but i think the update is for 07-08 models only.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
karizma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i cpe, 6spd, mont/sadl

I had a 2003 z4 3.0i w/ sport package.

I loved the Z4, but i think the 335i is definitely a faster and more practical car. Do i miss dropping the top and feeling the wind hit me in the face? yes...but the interior of the 335i , the pickup, engine, and pretty much everything else is better in my opinion. IT's not as fun to throw around corners as my Z was, but i think it's a better car and I don't regret the change. =)

the rims on that z were just ridiculous though, the 335's stock wheels arent as cool...but that can be changed. =)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
However, it really feels much heavier, longer and I'm not as confident as I used to when I take corners. It feels like something heavy in the back is dragging you when you take hard corners.
That's one of the reasons I got aftermarket wheels/tires. Car looks way more aggressive and it bites in and grips around turns like it should. I can't get my car to chip at all with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's I have on it. Hopefully you got the sports package.

Ohh, and just wait until you're past you're break in period! I had perm-a-grin for weeks!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Perhaps the steering feel / turn-in is what I'm really missing. I was just getting into auto-x and HPDE with the Z4, and I've really learned to chuck it through the corners. I do not speed on 'street' roads, but I do get a little aggressive with the handling!

Dealer says I can take out a 335i coupe in an auto, but they just don't have a manual to demo. (Maybe next month?) I also have other dealers in the area but just haven't gone outside my primary service dealer yet. Here's to hoping some more seat time lets this car show me its true form.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Perhaps the steering feel / turn-in is what I'm really missing. I was just getting into auto-x and HPDE with the Z4, and I've really learned to chuck it through the corners. I do not speed on 'street' roads, but I do get a little aggressive with the handling!

Dealer says I can take out a 335i coupe in an auto, but they just don't have a manual to demo. (Maybe next month?) I also have other dealers in the area but just haven't gone outside my primary service dealer yet. Here's to hoping some more seat time lets this car show me its true form.

I thought steering feel was terrible in Z4. It's way too light for my taste.
I guess I'm bit spoiled by Elise's lack of power steering.
In other hand, 335i has much firmer steering to z and I love it. But I wish it was little bit smaller.

Firmer the steering the better.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

I have the M and a E90 and love them both!
But I did have an 06 Z4 3.0i and it felt quicker than my current 330i

Not by too much bu the Z4 did out accelerate the E90 and the E90 has the more powerful 255BHP engine (well the 330i does anyway)
I did have Manual trans in the Z4, and the 330i has Steptronic,

I'm just very happy to be able to have both, and I only drive the M on the weekends or in perfect weather,

The 330i is a DD

and about the steering,
I preferred the effortless electric steering in the Z4, The E90/E92 has hydraulic steering same as the Z4 M,
My E90 even comes with active steering and the Z4 electric was lighter and easier,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0