E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > This week I have been mostly.....driving petrols!

12-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

This week I have been mostly.....driving petrols!

Having taken my car into the dealer to have the leather replaced on my drivers seat after only 3 months from new, squeaky dash around aircon/DVD area and faulty start/stop function. I was given a courtesy car for the duration, a LCI 318i. I drove round the corner before it was even defrosted and swapped it in for a Mini Cooper S Clubman. A 175 bhp Go Kart. Drove to London for two days so got to test it on the motorway, in the city traffic and a couple of detours on good roads. Would I have one....yes, but not for the mileage level I am currently doing (40,000 per annum). Does my wife want to swap it for her Smart.....oh yes, but not for the £18,000 + options we would invaribly want to include.

After two days I swapped it back for the 318i. OMG how a 318 petrol seems so dull after the pocket rocket. Must say it was very comfy driving to Exeter and back. How anyone can complain SE spec suspension on 17'' wheels is harsh!! After the Cooper S it was a luxury sofa. Still handled well but was a lot softer than an M Sport on 18''s. The petrol engine was super quiet when not revved. Several times when I had parked the car I thought the start/stop function had activated and thought the engine was off it was that quiet.

Got my E91 M Sport back and have to say I am glad to pay for the Sport package. SE is 'nice', M Sport is awesome. The steering wheel, gearshift, seats, suspension, wheels all add to the car. I will sell a kidney to ensure I have an M Sport over SE.

Leather wasn't replaced, dash was 'adjusted' and the start/stop function had a software upgrade. Car is booked in again at the end of January when it will be due a service at around 20k miles. Will try to get a 135 to smoke around in
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Great write up. Glad you had fun, its always good to try other cars, i drove a clubman and liked it.

SE are good stock, if there a 335 (come with all the main goodies).
      12-05-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Glad you enjoyed the Mini, I imagine it is lots of fun, in Cooper S guise, still can't get over THAT interior though !

As for 318i's they are very slow (bit like my 520i lol, but IMO even worse because the 5 is a cruiser) when I used to take my E46 to BMW (had a number of faults over the time I had it, was AUC and a bloody nightmare to get them to fix it) they gave me either this E91 318i touring which was actually a good car, just coud have done with a bit more oomph, was in the same Silver as the 318i you have posted and it really suited the touring or once I got given ...

...you will not believe this!!! An AUDI yes you read that right AUDI A3 1.9 TDi, bloody horrible thing, it was the first diesel I'd ever drove and it took me about a day and a half to realise how to drive it also understeered REALLY badly, that was when I took the 330Ci in and they said they'd deal with it there and then, trade car and only one with tax, anyone?!

Never got a Mini as the BMW and Mini sites at Derby are completely separate.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0