E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > used 2008 335i coupe

12-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M550i

used 2008 335i coupe

Hi guys,

I am new to this board and hope to become an owner of a 335i coupe in the near future. I have come across a 2008 335i coupe blk on blk with premium package, navigation, bluetooth, sports package, ipod, sirius/xm radio, paddle shifters, and heated seats 16k miles. I am going to go take a look at the vehicle this weekend, and was wondering if anyone could provide any info on what I should be looking for in terms of a used car. Are there any known visibile issues that I should be looking for? What is a reasonable price for this vehicle based on the information that I have provided.

As you can tell I am new to the world of 335i's and would love any info that would help me make an informed decision. The wife currently has a 2004 530i and I can't wait to add another BMW to the collection.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Van[ForTheTired]
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: a beast.

most people are going to say search, but I am not like that. lol.

You should check if it has an oil cooler. [Look in the engine bay and check the passenger side to see if you have a mini-intercooler looking thing]

visibly I cant think of anything else.

Price may vary, but I think it would be mid to high 30's if I am not mistaken.

That car is loaded.
      12-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info!

Whats the deal with the oil cooler? Anything I should know about it? Faulty? Accessory etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Van[ForTheTired]
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well your car will overheat if you push it too hard like in hot days. I read if you track it too, it will overheat quickly without a oil cooler.

if you want to know more about it, you can search "oil cooler" and tons of stuff pop up. That's pretty much I know about the oil coolers.
      12-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good info thanks.

Anything else I should know?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Van[ForTheTired]
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think it might have been fixed already, but your still under warranty so no worries. But the failing fuel pump problem. Look up "limp mode" also.

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

good luck with the buy and it sounds like a great car.
      12-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, check for signs of modification like the panel to access the ECU having been removed, or signs that the exhaust has been replaced back to stock. Also look for signs of hard use like a weird slipping in the transmission or scuffs on the tire sidewalls or cupped wear in the outside edge of the tire.

Personally, I would purchase as much warranty as possible, since you can assume it was driven hard by the previous owner and every employee of every mechanic and dealership that has had access to the car. I'm sure it is a tough car, but hard use is hard use and if you are planning to keep the car past 100k miles take steps to ensure you aren't left holding the bag for repair cost
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
OP, check for signs of modification like the panel to access the ECU having been removed, or signs that the exhaust has been replaced back to stock. Also look for signs of hard use like a weird slipping in the transmission or scuffs on the tire sidewalls or cupped wear in the outside edge of the tire.

Personally, I would purchase as much warranty as possible, since you can assume it was driven hard by the previous owner and every employee of every mechanic and dealership that has had access to the car. I'm sure it is a tough car, but hard use is hard use and if you are planning to keep the car past 100k miles take steps to ensure you aren't left holding the bag for repair cost
very good advice thank you!

Do you know off hand how much the 100k warranty costs after the car has been purchased? Especially since I hope to be the second owner of the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

If you are getting a used 3-series bimmer, I highly recommend a 328i. There are far less problems to deal with, and less likely that the previous owner had driven it hard.

But yes, I agree with the above posters.. look for the oil cooler, fuel pump problems, and mods. If it's modded, stay away!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
If you are getting a used 3-series bimmer, I highly recommend a 328i. There are far less problems to deal with.
Thats no fun...buying it for the 300hp!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Payroll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i

Like others have said, check to see if there's an oil cooler (all 2008's should have it but it's always better to check). Just take a look in front of the passenger front tire, you should see what looks like a vent for an oil cooler / radiator - there's no mistaking it. I wouldn't be too concerned about the car having been tuned (this board is extremely misleading since it is comprised of all those people that are interested in modifying the car). But I would have the dealer's service department check to see if the car has been "flagged" for having a tune.

If the car does not have any visual modifications (e.g. front orange reflectors are not swapped out for painted reflectors) than it's probably safe to assume that the owner was not necessarily into tuning his car.

Hope you like it - as everyone on this forum can attest, while the 335 does not do any one thing better than any other car, it does everything extremely well. You'll love it.

Hope that helps.
      12-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Out of curiosity, do the 2007 335i's also get the oil cooler under warranty/TSB, or is it only the 2008's?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well it turns out that the car was too good to be true. It was completely beat up on the inside.

Make up stains on passanger side headliner
Exploded lotion bottle on back seat (WTF??)
Leather scuffed significantly in the back seat
Dog hair throughout the car
Car made a loud ticking noise at idle (anyone have any info on this?)
Many of the hoses were leaking fluid at the connections (any info on this)
Curbed rims and swirls in paint

And what pissed me off the most was the alumninum trim on both the passanger side and driver side door had dings and scratches in it as if someone hit it with a baseball bat and then scratched the heck out of them with a file.

Back to the drawing board I suppose. I ended up finding another vehicle that I may check out but its in Houston so may have to wait till the weekend. Here are the specs. Thoughts? Also this car had the calipers painted red, (wtf). How difficult would that be to reverse?

Year

Mileage
Make
BMW

Interior
Black
Model
3-Series

Exterior
Black

PREMIUM PKG
SPORT PKG
PWR REAR SUNSHADE

REAR PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
DVD-BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM
6-SPEED STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

$39,850
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
MRQturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

^^red calipers??..maybe it has an aftermarket big brake kit....
      12-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
Van[ForTheTired]
Enlisted Member
Rep

stay away and dont buy. sounds terrible.

also that price is outrageous for the condition it is. [how you're telling us atleast.]
      12-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
Russian325is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Thats no fun...buying it for the 300hp!
Yeah...stay with the 335i...
335 has bigger front/rear brake discs and a better tranny.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van[ForTheTired] View Post
stay away and dont buy. sounds terrible.

also that price is outrageous for the condition it is. [how you're telling us atleast.]
That was for the first one I looked at this weekend.

The second one listed above is the one w/ the red calipers. I am not sure if its a big brake kit since everything else is bone stock. The car is at a private luxury car dealer in Houston.

At this point I am getting kinda nervous about buying a 3 from a private dealer, and my try and focus on getting a CPO 2007 for a little bit more.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
downsouth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Back to the drawing board I suppose. I ended up finding another vehicle that I may check out but its in Houston so may have to wait till the weekend. Here are the specs. Thoughts? Also this car had the calipers painted red, (wtf). How difficult would that be to reverse?

Year

Mileage
Make
BMW

Interior
Black
Model
3-Series

Exterior
Black

PREMIUM PKG
SPORT PKG
PWR REAR SUNSHADE

REAR PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
DVD-BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM
6-SPEED STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

$39,850

This is the one that I will most probably look at next. This is the car w/ the red calipers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
barbados
First Lieutenant
Antigua and Barbuda
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is the one that I will most probably look at next. This is the car w/ the red calipers
Sounds good - you can always just paint the calipers black if you like the car. I'm painting mine black sometime in the next couple of months, it doesn't void your warranty and it looks classier than the raw metal.
Appreciate 0