E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 bmw 328i no start! No crank!

03-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
Jakedasnake
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i

07 bmw 328i no start! No crank!

First time poster here. Any help is appreciated!

So i bought a 07 bmw 328i that didnt run. PO said it had been sitting and wouldnt start anymore. I got it towed to my house and ended up buying a new battery and it started right up! I did the oil change on it, did the spark plugs. It was running fine. Only issue was it had no air coming out the vents so I figured the blower motor was bad or clogged.

I was able to drive it for about a week, until one day i pulled the blower motor off to find leafs inside. I cleaned it out , put it back in. BOOM I had ac and heater.
Heres where everything fell apart.
As soon as i fixed that issue i had the car running and called it a day. It was a sunday when that happened. I was off Monday and decided to relax all day. Tuesday morning i came out to a dead car, no crank no start. Tried jumpstarting it and nothing. Long story short. Ended up getting a brand new battery, changed the starter out, changed alternator out. Disconnected ibs from terminal. Pulled the cas off, cas is fine motherboard wise. Lights come on in the car when attempting to start. Transmission light comes on when i put the key in, its like a yellow gear symbol. I cant shift to neutral without manually taking off the trim in order to hit the bypass switch. Cas relay is fine all fuses are fine. The only thing i can see an issue is that i cant here the fuel pump priming when attempting to start the car. And only a click from the glovebox is heard. Checked for voltage all the way around and everything is good. Could it be the fuel pump?! I have voltage coming from the connector itself. I believe its under 2.0v and when attempting to start the voltage doesnt budge but due to no crank? Idk im lost just figured i can get some type of answers.

Ps. I took some pieces of wire and connected them to where the harness sits at by the dme under the hood where the solid white starter wire runs. And as well as another wire connected to another pin on a harness that sits next to it ( can't remember which one ) but basically car turns on so the engine isnt seized. So im lost as to whats going on with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Welcome to the Forum!
So what are the Last-7 Characters of your VIN?
Many changes in the 2007 Model Run, from EWS to Fuses to contents of E-box.
Shame you threw parts.
Are you saying in your "PS" that you can "Hotwire" the starter by applying 12V+ to the White wire? If so, your issue is with the CAS Module. If you will supply your VIN-7, I'll provide ISTA SSP wiring diagrams and test suggestions.

1) Do you have Multimeter to measure Voltage?
2) Do you have INPA/ISTA or ANY Scan Tool that can read CAS "Terminal Status"?

CAS switches on various "Terminals", German Abbreviation = KL/Klemmen:
1) KLR: Radio & Brake Lights; activated when Remote Key inserted;
2) KL15 & KL30G: Ignition and Accessory relays, respectively; activated when START button pressed (NOT necessary to press Brake/Clutch);
3) KL50: Starter activation via the "White wire" you hotwired; at least THAT Terminal is NOT being activated.

HOWEVER, TWO "Safety-Switch" type things MUST happen before KL50 will be activated when you Press START with Foot on Brake/Clutch:
1) If A/T, Gear Shift Lever must be in P/N and the Gear Selector Switch must send signal via PT-CAN bus of P/N position. That signal is sent via CAN Bus, BOTH to the KOMBI Instrument Cluster Module, AND to the CAS Module.

INPA would show if that signal is received by CAS Module. You can at least determine if signal is being SENT by CAN bus by looking for Gear Selected to appear on lower display of Instrument Cluster. That is CAN Bus signal. The LED beside shift lever is ONLY hard-wired.
The Yellow Gear Light on Instrument Cluster suggests you do NOT have the CAN Bus signal of P/N shift lever position.

2) Check to make sure your radio plays when Remote Key inserted, AND that the brake lights light when you press Brake Pedal (WITHOUT pressing START button). INPA would indicate if CAS is receiving the Brake Light Switch signal, but at least you can tell if Switch is operative.

Let us know answers to those questions, and test results, and we can suggest "Next Steps".
George
Appreciate 0