E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Personal Profiles and CA

12-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Personal Profiles and CA

So, I have CA. According to the manual, each fob has a personal profile (presets, locks, and what not). That is all fine and good, but I am the only one who drives the car. So, I want both fobs to have the same profile. That is, if I set up presets with one fob I want them to work the exact same way with the other fob. Is there anyway to do this?

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

You have to use the 2nd fob to drive your car, so it can remember all your settings. It may revert to a previous profile, or whatever the default program is if you have never used it before, so you may have to "re-set" some things. but after that, it will remember your preferences.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
You have to use the 2nd fob to drive your car, so it can remember all your settings. It may revert to a previous profile, or whatever the default program is if you have never used it before, so you may have to "re-set" some things. but after that, it will remember your preferences.
The problem I have is that I use the first fob, make some changes, and then when I bring the second fob, it reverts everything back to where it was.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

There is no way around it since the keys themselves hold all of the info, not the car...

BUUUUUUT, if you REEEEEEEAAAALLY wanted to, you could crack open the keys and swap the chips if you had to switch fobs for some reason
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

That is annoying.

What would happen if I opened the car with one key, and then drove away with the other?

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
That is annoying.

What would happen if I opened the car with one key, and then drove away with the other?
Better question is if you have both keys in your pocket which one does it read from, or you have to insert it into the key slot
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Cars without CA have this issue as well. A friend of mine lost his default key that he had used for a year and a half and he had not choice but use the spare and he lost all his previous settings. I don't think there is a way around it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
Better question is if you have both keys in your pocket which one does it read from, or you have to insert it into the key slot
Yesterday, I openned my doors with one fob. Forgot something upstairs, and came down with another fob. The end result was that I disarmed the alarm and unlocked with Fob 2, and used Fob 1 to start the engine. I was surprised to find that all my presents were gone. Even though Fob 1 was used to start the car, the settings form Fob 1 were in the car.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

what kind of setting are we talking about?

I dont switch fobs and I dont have CA.. but my fiancee does sometimes uses fob 2 to drive the car.. (only once so far).

I have not noticed setting change (as in radio stations, memory seats, etc)

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
Most everything you can set is remembered by the key -- radio station and presets, equalizer and Logic 7, ventilation controls, A/C temperatures, seats, mirrors, lighting, you name it.
      12-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:

I dont switch fobs and I dont have CA.. but my fiancee does sometimes uses fob 2 to drive the car.. (only once so far).

I have not noticed setting change (as in radio stations, memory seats, etc)
The settings are specific to the fob you use. So, for example, Fob 1 "remembers" various settings: radio presets, Idrive options, car settings. If you use Fob 2, those settings are wiped out but ONLY while you are using Fob 2. So, if your fiancee drives your car, she'll have none of personalized settings unless she also uses Fob 1.

This could work out great for a couple that shares a car. I might want different settings than my girlfriend. So, the fob I carry has "memory" for my settings and the fob she carries has "memory" for her settings.

If there is only one driver of the car though, it is sort of a pain.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
The settings are specific to the fob you use. So, for example, Fob 1 "remembers" various settings: radio presets, Idrive options, car settings. If you use Fob 2, those settings are wiped out but ONLY while you are using Fob 2. So, if your fiancee drives your car, she'll have none of personalized settings unless she also uses Fob 1.

This could work out great for a couple that shares a car. I might want different settings than my girlfriend. So, the fob I carry has "memory" for my settings and the fob she carries has "memory" for her settings.

If there is only one driver of the car though, it is sort of a pain.
holy shxt~

I gotta tell my fiancee this... and post this on "things I didnt know about my BMW".

I dont mind. The fob 2 has nothing on it, because I think I only used it once (the first night I got my car about a month ago), and fob 1 is the one I am currently using everyday.

That is great, 2 personal setting memory keys. I dont have this on my lexus.

Thanks for the info, guys.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
holy shxt~

I gotta tell my fiancee this... and post this on "things I didnt know about my BMW".

I dont mind. The fob 2 has nothing on it, because I think I only used it once (the first night I got my car about a month ago), and fob 1 is the one I am currently using everyday.

That is great, 2 personal setting memory keys. I dont have this on my lexus.

Thanks for the info, guys.
I actually think is a dumb feature. I'd much prefer some kind of switch inside the car that tells the vehicle which settings to use.

I'm the sole driver for my car and I tend to use whatever fob I find handy at the moment. Some days I can find one quickly, some days the other. The fact that I have to go through the entire customization process twice is annoying, to say the least.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
I actually think is a dumb feature. I'd much prefer some kind of switch inside the car that tells the vehicle which settings to use.

I'm the sole driver for my car and I tend to use whatever fob I find handy at the moment. Some days I can find one quickly, some days the other. The fact that I have to go through the entire customization process twice is annoying, to say the least.
In your case, yes.

But that "switch" recommendation is pretty good too.

I mean, what happens if my fiancee and I got each other's key by mistake.. (but then again, she uses some girly Gucci keycharin and its hard to take the wrong key).

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

I think it's annoying also. I hate it when I put both FOBS in the same drawer. It's like russian roulette. Pick one and take it out to the car when you're running late for work AAAARRRRRGHGHGHG! It's the wrong one! I ended up marking a "C" on the back of one with a black Sharpie so that I can tell them apart. It wears off after about 2 months, but you can redo it.

Off topic, but do you or did you have an Rx7? I remember your screen name from somewhere....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Never owned a Mazda of any kind.

Kilgore Trout is a well-known fictional character though.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
kantonaxtwoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e90

great topic guys. i have this problem. i have CA right and i have settings for my fob and different settings for my girlfriends fob. but what happens when im driving right but shes in the car also with the fob. sometimes it picks up my key for the settings and the other times it picks up her key. its really annoying and is there anyway to know when both keys are in the car which key is "used". my only solution so far is to have the key plugged in but whats the point then to have CA?
2008 335i E90 | Jet Black/Black Dakota | alum trim | step w/paddles | sport | prem | nav | comfort | heated seats | ipod | hd radio | 35% tint | Mforce front splitters | M3 lip spoiler | Mtech steering wheel | Matte black front grills - RETIRED

2011 x5 35D Loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #18
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonaxtwoo View Post
great topic guys. i have this problem. i have CA right and i have settings for my fob and different settings for my girlfriends fob. but what happens when im driving right but shes in the car also with the fob. sometimes it picks up my key for the settings and the other times it picks up her key. its really annoying and is there anyway to know when both keys are in the car which key is "used". my only solution so far is to have the key plugged in but whats the point then to have CA?
Really? I've always found that it goes with the FOB I openned the doors with.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0