BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

12-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Camaross305's HID angel eye kit

Before you even start as a note. The circuit it self is kinda fragile just be careful not to drop it or break any of the components. Also when handling the HID bulbs themselves DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS ITSELF unless you have latex gloves on. Because the grease on our finger will ruin the bulb in no time.

First off here is the parts included. 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs, the circuit in the small box, a resistor, and the wiring harness.

1. First off disconnect your battery in the trunk. (if you dont know how to do this there is a few DIY on it)

2. Next remove the plastic cover that is over the positive post shown here
here is where it is located in the engine bay

Here is the cover up close

should look like this after removed

3. Next unscrew the bolt shown in the pic above with a 13mm socket

4. Take the thick red wire that looks like the one shown bellow with the ring terminal on it from the harness and attach it to the threaded shaft and bolt down the connection like shown above. Make sure it is pointing down so the plastic cover goes back on

( Part 4 Cont)

some of you with the newer style harness have a black wire for a better ground like this in harness.

Make sure to put it on a good ground like either of these. Both use a 10mm bolt to fasten down.

5. Next pull back on the tab and remove the windshield washer neck.

6. Run the wire in the wire behind the winshield washer tank neck and route it as shown. I put some wire loom to make it look cleaner. After running the wire this is how it should look

7. Next open the lid that contains your halo's bulb. Lift the tab as shown.

8. Next located the stock bulb you can see it here in the headlight are after the lid is removed

Twist it counter clockwise and pull it out like so.

Disconnect the factory wiring harness from it

Then connect the pin like connectors from the circuit that fit perfectly into the stock bulb plug. Make sure to connect the red wire to the yellow wire on the stock plug. And the black to the 2 browns. (excuse my slightly singed stock halo socket plug. I had my soldering iron on from making wire harnesses and it touched the plug.)

I also highly recommend after doing this to put a small piece of electrical tap around each pin after its been inserted into the stock bulb connector. So if they happen to come out the wont short.

Next your going to need to run The 2 wires from the harness that look like this

.....They may not be the same color but they will be labeled "TO GND ON CIRCUIT" (in this case the black wire) and "TO OUT ON CIRCUIT" (In this case the blue wire)

Run them through the car to the headlight area under the cars support bar like this.

And pull them through to reach to the headlight area

Connect the two wires labled appropriately to the circuit. All you need to do is loosen the 2 flat screws. Insert the proper wires into the circuit. And then tighten down the 2 screws on the circuit to hold the wires in. Here is a close up of the circuit and what im talking about. In this case the Blue wire to "OUT" and the black to "GND."

9. Next put in the new hid bulb in the socket.
This step is kinda difficult but i find it much easier to put the bulb in bottom first like shown here and use a screw driver or skinny object to maneuver the HID bulb into the socket.

Its going to take some twisting and turning around to get it to fit but trust me it fits.

Make sure you leave the plugs from the HID bulb outside of the cannister so the lid can go back on. Run the wires comming from the circuit in the same fashion. I notched my lid in the back as shown to be able to run the wires out. Just make sure you dont cut the actual rubber seal

This is how i placed the wires toward the back of the lid so you dont see the wires

10. Next connect the plug and play plugs from the hid ballast assembly to the bulb. Here is the balast plugs connected and ran underneeth the metal brace out the back of the lid...also run your wires from the harness to the circuit under here to keep all the wires hidden.

Also connect the plug and play plug from the wiring harness to the ballast looks like this. Be sure to use the shorter one of the two in the harness as the long one is to reach to the driver side.

10. After this tuck your ballast, wire harness, and relay away. I put mine here (yellow arrow) and it fits perfect. I placed everything here and its hidden.

11. Then run the other longer of the plug and play plugs shown bellow, in between the top of the fan shroud and under the cover.

12. Repeat the same process for taking off the lid exposing the old bulb, taking out the bulb etc. Put in the new HID bulb on the other side and hook the remainder of the plug and play plugs.

Place the resistor i supplied (and labeled for you) like so... into the stock driver side headlight socket. Doesnt matter which way or anything. But be sure to wrap it in electrical tape after.

Lastly tuck in your ballast under the air box assembly right here. You may or may not have to remove some bolts holding the air box assembly down. You dont have to do this but i think it gives it a clean stock look.

13. Lastly check all your connections and start up your car. Take a look and make sure your all done. WALLA! your done. Just tidy up your wires and zip tie any hanging wires.

Here is the final look at the engine compartment. Looks stock and you wouldnt even know there is anything new if you didnt know to look for it Enjoy your new super bright halos!!!

Disclaimer: Im not responsible for any miss wiring or faulty connections and any damage that may occur from someone besides me installing this kit. Install at your own risk!

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com

Last edited by camaross305; 01-11-2009 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Thanks for this! Looks fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
Thanks for this! Looks fantastic.
No problem

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

pm'ed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
camaross305
Rep

bump i updated the DIY with more pics and hints.... thanks for the suggestions guys.... If anyone else sees a step that is unclear let me know. It becomes much more clear once you have everything in your hand

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
bump i updated the DIY with more pics and hints.... thanks for the suggestions guys.... If anyone else sees a step that is unclear let me know. It becomes much more clear once you have everything in your hand
i can no longer wait until my kit arrives. cheers for your awesome advice and service. Apart from your KIT, are there any other bulbs i should be changing to keep the uniform look of the lights. such as low fogs etc?

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous M View Post
i can no longer wait until my kit arrives. cheers for your awesome advice and service. Apart from your KIT, are there any other bulbs i should be changing to keep the uniform look of the lights. such as low fogs etc?

I mean you could do the main headlights if you prefer but i personally like the stock headlights. Im comming with a way to delete the h3 corner bulbs that come on when your wheel is turned. I hate those things

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:

do you have fogs on your M ?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
The cornering lights are the other bulbs to replace (H3s).

Have you installed your kit yet? I'm part way into it but can't get the new bulbs in the sockets. One tab is wider than stock.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
camaross305
Rep

Bump.... I redid almost the entire DIY. If you have any more ?'s or suggestions please feel free to pm me or post.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

That's a lot clearer. Thanks for the update, camaross305. This will hopefully be one of the first mods I do whenever my M3 gets in. Any update on the H3 deletes?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermans54 View Post
Is this a joke? I hope this isnt the guy that I ORIGINALLY desigend the kit for down at my shop in pompano? On his black 335 e92.First off that resistor will eventually heat up and burn the wires, been there done that. 2nd, what the hell is that capacitor thing? You should use the correct slim ballasts/or even regular ballasts that are made for bmw, that you dont need all that extra stuff that goes bad from time to time. What is he charging people? I came up with the kit, idea, everything. Go to e90post 335 videos and pics, and you will see I have done every coor of the rainbow, from green DTRLs, to dark blue, ultra violet black light, for the ladies purple, pink, etc.
Someone needs to contact me asap. PM or email
Waiting for a response, camaross305.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Waiting for a response, camaross305.
+1. I was just about to buy these too.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

interesting......
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
That's a lot clearer. Thanks for the update, camaross305. This will hopefully be one of the first mods I do whenever my M3 gets in. Any update on the H3 deletes?
Thanks i tried to be as clear as possible

no not at the moment ill let you know though
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMarsal View Post
Is this alex or adam? I think? I was the one that came to you one time and had my car done. A while back at your shop.

A week or two after the install i was having a ton of errors. My car went into limp mode like 3 times because of the way you tapped into the ECU. I didnt find this out till the 3rd time i went to the dealer because of it. The dealer couldnt find out what the problem was and found out it was from the positive tap you had running in the ecu. I pulled the kit as fast as i could. i contacted camaross305 when i saw his kit a while back and its running flawlessly. It is A COMPLETELY different system. He has an actual circuit etc. I have had zero problems for 6 months now. Your kit was basically rigged into the ecu and almost made me lemon my car cause we couldn figure out the prob.

Keep up the good work camaro
This is good info to know. I will be ordering mine soon as well. So far no one has said anything negative about this. Thanks JEMarsal
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
camaross305
Rep

Just to show im not sure what your talking about let me give you a little back ground. First you must use the right resistor. I know id did. Trust me this wont burn up anything.

Electric current is the rate of electrons that pass by a given point in an wire or some sort of an electric circuit measured in Coulombs/second which is named Amperes. Since in DC circuits, which our cars run off of DC your house is in AC, we can say that the current in the circuit is related to voltage and resistance which is basically summed up by OHM's Law.

Basically ohms law states "Ohm's Law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere. "

Because resistance is measure in OHMs.

Next you have to look at the formula for resistance. Because it ties into ohms law. Just for reference the gauge wire in out car is aprox. 16 awg. Which being made of cooper has a resistance of about .00473 per foot. If you measure its only about 1 foot or so But to make calculations safe we will say 3 feet to make a factory of safety of about 3. Usually i use 2. But hey this is a BMW. So then lets say .01419 per foot after the factor of safety. If you use the formula for resistance.

Resistance (Ohms) = Voltage (v) / Current (I)

The voltage on the stock bulb halo circuit is about 4.5 volts and has a current of about 3.5 amperes or 3.5amps. This will give you the correct resistance. However divide that by the factor we figured out above (.01419) and you get about 92.

However you have to factor into account power. The stock bulbs are 35w where as the HID's are also 35 watt but Hid's actually use less power than a regular halogen with way more light output. Hid's also use a completely different concept then an incandescent bulb. They ignite inside of a xenon gas instead of heating up a tungsten element through the means of resistance.

P = I × V = R × I2 = V2 ⁄ R

So this is how you choose the correct resistor. I mean look at the stock halo bulbs or any typical incandescent bulb in your house etc. Its basically a resistor made of a special material, usually tungsten, which through resistance cause it to glow. Thats all the stock BMW computer does is measure the resistance in the stock halo circuit and if it gets to a certain point, I.E the bulb blows and there is no resistance, it trips the circuit and the computer notifies the driver. I mean yea if you were you use a huge capacitor trying to store energy like a .5 farad ot something, or use the 16 gauge halo wires to run like 1000 watt speakers or something then yea the wires might get hot lol. But choose the correct resistor via Ohm's law and use a factor of safety and youll be fine

Last edited by camaross305; 01-14-2009 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
However you have to factor into account power. The stock bulbs are 55w where as the HID's are only 35 watt. Hid's actually use less power than a regular halogen with way more light output.
Not to say you don't know your stuff, but the stock H8s are 35w, same as the HIDs. Of course, the HIDs put out a lot more light.

I'm curious, please explain what your custom circuit does. Why can't you just use the stock wiring to trigger the relay without anything additional?

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #19
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
HIDs and no angels

Wow--this is getting to be a real soap opera!

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Wow--this is getting to be a real soap opera!
LOL guess so.... Well JE a while back had a couple probs but i dunno... i asked them to resolve it via PM please
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL guess so.... Well JE a while back had a couple probs but i dunno... i asked them to resolve it via PM please
Please respond to my question in psot #20 about what your custom cicuit board does. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Not to say you don't know your stuff, but the stock H8s are 35w, same as the HIDs. Of course, the HIDs put out a lot more light.

I'm curious, please explain what your custom circuit does. Why can't you just use the stock wiring to trigger the relay without anything additional?
Sorry writing to fast correct both are 35w but the HID's use less power
Appreciate 0