E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 PROBLEM WITH AIR CONDITION VALVE

05-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
tsopanakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

E90 PROBLEM WITH AIR CONDITION VALVE

I have my car since 1st of May at the dealer for continious problems with the air condition.
I just receive a call from them that there exists a service bulletin for recall and replace a release valve of the aircondition on all E90.
Someone hear something similar ?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
blasman
Rep
Drives: 06 325

What kind of AC problems?

What kind of air conditioning problems? I have noticed a couple times that my AC won't turn on, even though the light is on next to the snowflake symbol. To get it to turn on I have have to hit the fan speed slower button to turn the system off. If I then hit auto it turns on.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
tsopanakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Faulty AC

Symptom:
Aircondition needs more than 45 min to cool the car. Indication that something was wrong with the AC.

Steps:

Took it to the dealer they fix it the first time. But after a few days again the same problem.

They hold my car for 4 days, and finally they told me that a faulty valve create the problem, and there exist a service bulletin about that and probably affect all the E90.

Yesterday, I finally got my car back. They replace everything that has to do with the AC. Compressor, Valves, Pipes. etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
2006e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

ive been dealing with a buzzing noise that comes on when i start the car first thing in the morning. this buzzing noise seems to be coming from the climate control area which last about 2 seconds. its a reoccuring noise whenever i start up the car (if the car has been sitting around for a bit and its cooled down). ive already taken my car back to the dealership twice but they were not able to isolate the problem .. and better yet, i found a ding on the driver's door the day after my second visit. called my service advisor and was able to have him agree to take care of it. i have yet to schedule my 3rd visit.. the things you have to put up with after paying $45k
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
There are all sorts of normal buzzing noises when you get in the car (steering unlocking, nav booting up, HVAC changing from defrost to vents, etc), are you sure it isn't one of them? They're all pretty quiet, but they're there, welcoming you as you get in. With CA at least, all of these things start running even before you turn on the car. If you mean a louder buzz, though, then that doesn't sound right.
      08-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
c-lee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

my AC never really gets super cold ... even at 60 it doesn't feel like 60...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
2006e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

my 330i was free of noise until 2.5 weeks ago (ive owned it for 15 months). ive tried warming up the car first prior to turning on the ac but with the same result. ive even drove a mile or two before turning it on (to 1 bar) and was able to reproduce the noise. the second visit i paid to the dealership resulted in removing the glove box and lubing contact points between blend doors and blower housing.. totally stinking up the car. fortunately the smell subsided the following day but the lubing made no difference.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just checked for this bulletin about the e90 AC (I'm a BMW tech) and there is NO bulletin which leads to replacement of the entire A/C system. the two relevant bulletins refer to the following:

A/C doesn't blow cold: Expansion valve faulty, must be replaced, possibly along with dryer (please don't ask me to explain all the parts, go to www.howstuffworks.com and check out Air Conditioning)

A/C stops blowing cold on long drives (1 hour plus) caused by bad temp sensor in the evaporator, causing evap to ice over, stopping cold air flow. Replace sensor and adjust some wiring.

NO bulletin about replacing the whole a/c. there may have been something specifically wrong with yours, and they were led to replace the whole thing, but not by bulletin.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-lee
my AC never really gets super cold ... even at 60 it doesn't feel like 60...

you know that the AC blows the same temp all the time right? doesn't matter what temp you set it at.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Not true, ward. The AC, when blowing fully cold, should be blowing somewhere around 40 F. The system can utilize MANY techniques to obtain a specific air temperature, some of which are:

Variable displacement compressors, which change the temp of the A/C evaporator, and then the air blowing through it

Blend Air Flaps, which blow some air through the A/C Evap, and some through the Heater Core to get the best blend, and specific temp.

Others vary the on/off interval of the compressor to maintain a specific cooling temp...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
c-lee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

yea i think there may be something wrong with my AC, cuz i know it never blows at 40F...ever....even when its been sitting out in 100 degree weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
Not true, ward. The AC, when blowing fully cold, should be blowing somewhere around 40 F. The system can utilize MANY techniques to obtain a specific air temperature, some of which are:

Variable displacement compressors, which change the temp of the A/C evaporator, and then the air blowing through it

Blend Air Flaps, which blow some air through the A/C Evap, and some through the Heater Core to get the best blend, and specific temp.

Others vary the on/off interval of the compressor to maintain a specific cooling temp...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 03:27 AM   #12
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You say EVEN when it's been sitting in 100 degrees, like that should make it blow colder... that'll make it blow warmer.

You'd be surprised how cool your a/c really blows in optimal conditions. you can get a thermometer for less than $10, stick it in the vent, and let the a/c run for a couple minutes... check out the temp. it'll be lower than you thought.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt

Matt
sounds like you're on the ball

I wasn't aware we were getting into multiple stage compressors in cars too, is that thing a small recip? and do they control the speed with the clutch on the pulley?

I just figured it was a steady state compressor and they varied what was coming out just by varying blower speed
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
They don't affect the speed of the compressor with the clutch, just whether it's on or off, but there are complicated (I don't FULLY understand them) internal mechanisms which allow the compressor to vary the displacement capacity inside, thereby changing PRESSURE in the system, thereby changing TEMPERATURE at the evap....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
ward
Major General
Rep

glad to have you on the board Matt, you know your stuff

I know home AC a bit (I'm sales not install/service) but car stuff is a bit different
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
BamaBeamer
Meannnn Jeannn....woooooo!!! -Ric Flair
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Sport Pkg

Thermal Expansion Valve Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
I just checked for this bulletin about the e90 AC (I'm a BMW tech) and there is NO bulletin which leads to replacement of the entire A/C system. the two relevant bulletins refer to the following:

A/C doesn't blow cold: Expansion valve faulty, must be replaced, possibly along with dryer (please don't ask me to explain all the parts, go to www.howstuffworks.com and check out Air Conditioning)

A/C stops blowing cold on long drives (1 hour plus) caused by bad temp sensor in the evaporator, causing evap to ice over, stopping cold air flow. Replace sensor and adjust some wiring.

NO bulletin about replacing the whole a/c. there may have been something specifically wrong with yours, and they were led to replace the whole thing, but not by bulletin.

Matt

If the Thermal Expanison Valve fails-- will it be the only part that needs replaced? The reason I ask is because my car blows constant warm and my first quote was a complete AC system rehaul at 2500.00 bucks
Appreciate 0