E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Defrost Question

12-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
npolite
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura Integra

Defrost Question

Hey Everyone,

While driving in my friend's Mercedes SUV I noticed quite an annoying feature. She has a 2003 ML and when the interior windows fogged up we turned on the defrost. The problem is that it locked in on hot and there was no way to select a cooler temp while on defrost. I know I'm comparing two different car manufactures here but was wondering if this is also the case on the 2006 325i? I also noticed that there is no selector for defrost/floor heat like on most other cars.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Yeah, these modern cars these days have functions that are a little too much on the automatic side. To the point of not allowing user selectable choices.

The defrost function is one of them. It's either full on or off. No halfway/intermediate setting.

The basic climate control on lower end 3 series in Europe, however, have individual knobs where you can completely control over how much and where the air flows. So, you can have defrost AND floor heat...
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
npolite
Private
Rep

Thanks visor, so if I select the defrost option does it go to full heat and not allow you to turn down the temp a bit or will it allow you to?

I really don't care about the defrost/floor option but really do care about lowering the temp once the cabin heats up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
Yeah, these modern cars these days have functions that are a little too much on the automatic side. To the point of not allowing user selectable choices.

The defrost function is one of them. It's either full on or off. No halfway/intermediate setting.

The basic climate control on lower end 3 series in Europe, however, have individual knobs where you can completely control over how much and where the air flows. So, you can have defrost AND floor heat...
You can do both on the automatic systems, too. Don't use the defrost setting. Here's what you do:
* Press the top (windshield) and bottom (floor) buttons for air distribution.
* Set the temperature and fan speed to whatever you want.

Poof...done. (Or, as my colleagues in Ireland say, "Bob's your uncle!")

You may also want to turn on the compressor, which is another feature of the defrost button. That will eliminate the interior humidity that can fog up the inside of the windows.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
npolite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
You can do both on the automatic systems, too. Don't use the defrost setting. Here's what you do:
* Press the top (windshield) and bottom (floor) buttons for air distribution.
* Set the temperature and fan speed to whatever you want.

Poof...done. (Or, as my colleagues in Ireland say, "Bob's your uncle!")

You may also want to turn on the compressor, which is another feature of the defrost button. That will eliminate the interior humidity that can fog up the inside of the windows.
Ok that's what I wanted to confirm, that you could use the A/C to remove the humidity. I'll give it a try on my test drive.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

The 3 Series climate control is meant to have a windshield misting sensor that detects if there is mist and to gently clear it before it builds up and becomes a problem. The defrost button is for when the window has fogged badly when you have been away from it.

I love the feature, because I have never really had to use the manual button, and my windows have always stayed nice and clear. In my experience with the car over the past 3 years, the great thing about this feature is that it works in the background and you never notice it because you never really think about mist on your windows.
      12-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
npolite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
The 3 Series climate control is meant to have a windshield misting sensor that detects if there is mist and to gently clear it before it builds up and becomes a problem. The defrost button is for when the window has fogged badly when you have been away from it.

I love the feature, because I have never really had to use the manual button, and my windows have always stayed nice and clear. In my experience with the car over the past 3 years, the great thing about this feature is that it works in the background and you never notice it because you never really think about mist on your windows.

I'm not sure if the MB has the sensor because after fiddling around with it on the manual mode I set it on auto and the windows were still fogging up last night. We had 6 people in the SUV that's why I initially set it manually.

I wished they would just copy the feature from the Japanese and set the Auto climate to allow you to select which way you want the air to blow. Maybe it's just me but I want little automating as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by npolite View Post
I'm not sure if the MB has the sensor because after fiddling around with it on the manual mode I set it on auto and the windows were still fogging up last night. We had 6 people in the SUV that's why I initially set it manually.

I wished they would just copy the feature from the Japanese and set the Auto climate to allow you to select which way you want the air to blow. Maybe it's just me but I want little automating as possible.
They do. Just use the 3 buttons on the left. Windshield-Face-Feet
Appreciate 0