BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
hokieman1
HokieV
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - 2022 X3 M40i

Active Blind Spot Detection Not working consistently

I have a one week old 2022 X3 M40i and during my first extended drive this week noticed that the Active Blind Spot Detection light on the right side does not consistently work.

I have not been able to determine any patterns. Does not seem to mater the vehicle size, color or shape nor the speed I or the adjacent vehicles are going. Does not matter if it is raining or not. Left side works fine. I would guess that it only works properly 10-20% of the time.

Any suggestions prior to taking it in and letting dealer determine the issue.

Sample video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJsJ2V_M1IY
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
There are many limitations to the system. The first mentioned in the manual is "if the speed of the approaching vehicle is significantly higher the own. " And another - the boundary lines have to be clearly visible, wet conditions are also a limitation I guess in your case these could have an impact to the functionality.
      03-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
hokieman1
HokieV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieman1 View Post
I have a one week old 2022 X3 M40i and during my first extended drive this week noticed that the Active Blind Spot Detection light on the right side does not consistently work.

I have not been able to determine any patterns. Does not seem to mater the vehicle size, color or shape nor the speed I or the adjacent vehicles are going. Does not matter if it is raining or not. Left side works fine. I would guess that it only works properly 10-20% of the time.

Any suggestions prior to taking it in and letting dealer determine the issue.

Sample video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJsJ2V_M1IY
This is a follow-up to my original post. I just noticed yesterday that in addition to my Active Blind Spot Light not working most of the time on the right side that my Active Park Assist does not work at all even though it is checked as ON.

I am now wondering if one or more of the sensors is not working and these two problems are related. Not thrilled with having to bring to a dealer due to distance to closest one and having to deal with probably leaving there and transportation to and from.

Anyone know others having an issue with the Active Park Assistance not working on an new 2022 X3 M40i?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Take you new car BACK TO THE DEALER!....not sure why you haven't already.
Appreciate 3
      07-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
jgw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2022 X3 blind spot problem - on the passenger side this sensor doesn't not work consistently. BMW is not commenting other to say that the passenger side does not operate if the speed differential is too great. I have tested this and it does seem to work some times if the speed differential is very small. But it is way different than the drivers side which works 100% and I consider it a safety hazard. Not sure what BMW is thinking with 2 different calibrations. I also have a problem with the the auto tail gate opening sensor - works about 10% of the time. This is a nice car but these types of problems on a new vehicle are very annoying -especially when there is nothing the dealer seems to be able to address to fix. Also have a 2019 Mazda CX5 signature - no problems - blind spot works perfectly-- and comfort, size and drivability vs X3 are at least equal maybe better. Tough justifying $15k more for the BMW. Actually tried to get another Cx5 signature but wait time was too long - BMW X3 had quicker availability. Think I know why now.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #6
hokieman1
HokieV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw View Post
2022 X3 blind spot problem - on the passenger side this sensor doesn't not work consistently. BMW is not commenting other to say that the passenger side does not operate if the speed differential is too great. I have tested this and it does seem to work some times if the speed differential is very small. But it is way different than the drivers side which works 100% and I consider it a safety hazard. Not sure what BMW is thinking with 2 different calibrations. I also have a problem with the the auto tail gate opening sensor - works about 10% of the time. This is a nice car but these types of problems on a new vehicle are very annoying -especially when there is nothing the dealer seems to be able to address to fix. Also have a 2019 Mazda CX5 signature - no problems - blind spot works perfectly-- and comfort, size and drivability vs X3 are at least equal maybe better. Tough justifying $15k more for the BMW. Actually tried to get another Cx5 signature but wait time was too long - BMW X3 had quicker availability. Think I know why now.
Agree, there is no reason the Active Blind Spot should not be more consistent. I understand if there were to be a great speed difference but many times mine won't detect a vehicle when there is no great difference in speed. Not safe or reliable. Very disappointing. I think there is a flaw but dealer does not agree.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Put your blind spot warning detection on “early”
BMWs system is picky about how fast you might be passing someone.
I thought mine was messing up too, but it’s just how the system works. Putting it on early detection does help… some.

Try that…

It could be a bad sensor but that is very uncommon but not impossible
Appreciate 3
509er589.50
Topdwnz60.50
misterdom332.00
      07-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
hokieman1
HokieV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Put your blind spot warning detection on “early”
BMWs system is picky about how fast you might be passing someone.
I thought mine was messing up too, but it’s just how the system works. Putting it on early detection does help… some.

Try that…

It could be a bad sensor but that is very uncommon but not impossible
Already changed the settings g and while that helped some it still does not detect about 1/2 or more of the time. Dealer indicated no sensor problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #9
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
It sounds like it is working as intended per the manual snippet below.

You're seeing it on the left when cars are coming up from behind and pass you. You don't see it as often on the right because you are generally passing those cars, unless they decide to speed up and pass you then you'll see the warning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #10
jgw
Registered
Rep

thanks - I think the manual snippet is referring to the absolute speed of travel not the differential speed. In other vehicles with blind spot warning sensors there is a warning whenever there is a car in the blind spot - right or left - period. Anything short of that is a safety concern and for sure can not rely on lack of warning on the passenger side of my BMW - very possible there is a car in the blind spot.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #11
hokieman1
HokieV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks - I think the manual snippet is referring to the absolute speed of travel not the differential speed. In other vehicles with blind spot warning sensors there is a warning whenever there is a car in the blind spot - right or left - period. Anything short of that is a safety concern and for sure can not rely on lack of warning on the passenger side of my BMW - very possible there is a car in the blind spot.
I agree, it should detect ANYTIME there is a vehicle in the blind spot regardless of speed. Otherwise what is the point of the system. If there is a car there it should alert in the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #12
misterdom
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i AW/TacRed

Garage List
Mine detects every time a car is back on either side. It is reflected in the graphics in the cluster as I have that option enabled. When a car is passing or being passed the graphic reflects this condition in the cute little animation. I had steering intervention enabled and if I try to change lanes while blind spot is active the car aggressively corrects me. This has since been disabled.

I have noticed a few quirks with some of these automation systems like parking and ACC. But for the most part they work as expected. If the OP is not getting the parking yellow, amber, red distance warnings something has to be wrong with sensors… no?
      07-29-2022, 09:50 AM   #13
jgw
Registered
Rep

Apparently - this is a problem beyond the X3 - I found this review on X5 with same problem:

Blind Spot Detection problem of the 2021 BMW X5
Failure Date: 01/25/2022
This is a 2021 BMW X5 with BMW's blind spot warning system. The vehicle currently has approximately 5,500 miles and was purchased new. The blind spot warning system has consistently malfunctioned since the vehicle was delivered. When monitoring the right side (passenger side) blind spot it only picks up on average 1 of each 3 vehicles encountered and completely the ignores the the others. By "picks up" I mean the visual indication in the right side mirror is lighted when the vehicle is in the blind spot. For those the system does not detect there is no visual indication of the vehicle and if the right turn signal is activated there is no warning of the vehicle in the blind spot. This effectively renders this critical safety system completely useless and a serious safety hazard as it is clearly malfunctioning. Upon complaining, the X5 was inspected by the dealer who reported that no malfunction was found and the system "is functioning as designed". After additional discussion with the service manage the dealer verbally admitted the system was not detecting other cars on the right side of the vehicle consistently but as there was no electrical fault detected in the system, it must be ok and it was not a repairable issue. Assuming the dealer's analysis of the problem is correct, this leads to the conclusion there is a serious safety design flaw in BMW's blind spot detection system. A brief examination of various BMW related internet forums shows this issue, or very similar issues concerning the function and design of the BMW blind spot detection system have been reported by several BMW owners, suggesting the problem is likely a design flaw and not a simple component failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #14
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
The system is working as expected and designed by the manufacturer. It doesn't mean that it works as expected by the customers. Same goes for every software/app/program.
      07-31-2022, 11:56 AM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto above…this appears to be a misinterpretation or expectation by some owners…that assume the system should work a certain way…perhaps from experience in other marques. But it specifically says it does not operate like they expect in the owners manual. Passenger side only illuminates when a car in that lane is “APPROACHING”. If you passed that vehicle…then the light doesn’t come on…unless they begin to speed up and move into your “blind spot”…or you slow down and it causes them to move into the blind spot.

But if one is using their turn indicator prior to changing lanes…if there’s a car in the “blind spot” and it is UNSAFE to change lanes…you should get vibration in the steering wheel and the light will illuminate…even if the light wasn’t illuminated prior to the attempt to change lanes.

As posted above…the operational parameters of the system was explained for when the light illuminates on the passenger side. It DOES NOT illuminate just because a car is there if it is not overtaking you (“approaching from behind” as written in the owners manual). But if you were to SIGNAL and the car is in this blind spot…you should get an alert. (Try it the next time you think the system isn’t working because the light is NOT illuminated but there’s a car in the lane on the passenger side that is NOT approaching from behind but is just in the lane next to you…activate your turn signal to see if you get a warning).

Now…if you are not signaling (as many assume BMW drivers don’t)…then you may not get a signal or warning if YOU passed them. But if they begin to approach you (speed up into this area)…then the warning light should come on. Or again, if you actually SIGNAL to move into their lane…you should get the light and vibration warning.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-31-2022 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #16
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

My experience from owning Audi and BMW vs some other Japanese and American brands is that if I'm passing a car quickly no blind spot light is going to come on.
Other brands might show a glimpse of light as the vehicle in momentarily in your blindspot. Same scenario but pass the car but slower and give it more time to hang out in your blind spot you will see an indicator. Blindspot monitor isn't going to alert you each time because if you're passing someone you should know from basic driving skills they should be next you. However, if the vehicle decided to match your speed and linger, you will get an alert.

If a vehicle is slowly approaching, no indicator will display until they're actively in your blindspot similar to other brands.

What sets this apart vs some other brands, if vehicle is approaching quickly, even if they are 150ft away, the blindspot warning will illuminate as that could be a potential threat if you were to change lanes in front of that car. The other brands don't measure speed differential and will wait until they car has entered your blind spot in which imo it's too late. Safer and minimizes false alarms
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #17
jgw
Registered
Rep

All good comments. I tried Subzeros suggestion about signaling to see what happens. Pulled along a tractor trailer on the passenger side (no signal) and put on right turn signal - no warning light or vibration.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #18
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
All good comments. I tried Subzeros suggestion about signaling to see what happens. Pulled along a tractor trailer on the passenger side (no signal) and put on right turn signal - no warning light or vibration.
Did you try matching the pace of the semi?
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #19
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I believe these issues can be fixed with Bimmercode Expert mode. The BSM speed differential must be greater than 5-7 mph, so by the time the other car enters your blind spot as you are overpassing, the amount of time it takes for your car to change lanes would mean the car would no longer be in the blind spot collision course by the time your car enters its lane. Just to reduce false positives I assume.

There must be a way to code the speed differential to be less so the BSM activates more often, and also should be a way to code BSM activation speed to 0 kmph instead of 20 kmph. Useful when trying to pull out of a parallel parking spot onto a busy road or merging back from the highway shoulder when it's hard to keep eyes entirely focused on the blind spot and make sure you don't crash into anything in the front. Has anyone successfully done that?

Last edited by thepianist1; 03-27-2023 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0