E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of getting a bimmer. Suggestions please

11-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Thinking of getting a bimmer. Suggestions please

Just moved back to Canada (Toronto) after living overseas for a number of years. Thinking of getting a bimmer. I've driven a couple (the 740 and 320) on a few occasions and have to say the chassis is really the car's strong point. Not that the engine isn't good by any means. Plenty of torque throughout the power band, even at the low end, which is a big contrast compared to the mostly Korean-made cars I've driven.

I was thinking of maybe picking up a low mileage BMW certified 2005 325i to start. Sort of give BMW a try kind of thing. Consumer Reports seems not to like the 2006 3-series noting major problems with the electrical system but rates 2005, 2007, 2008 cars well.

I need a sedan. Any suggestions on what bimmer would be good to start off with?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

What is your budget, what are you looking for, luxury or sport? do you want to finance or lease? how long do you keep on keeping the car for? How often do you wash the car? (color choice)

That's a good list of things you can tell us to better help you
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I rarely do this, but if you are reading Consumer Reports to get information about cars and comparing BMW reliability to Korean cars you've previously owned, then you will not be happy owning a BMW. BMWs are expensive and the people who buy them who are not enthusiasts and who have previously owned an Asian car end up dissatisfied because they are super-critical of the "reliability". They always have in the back of their mind "my Honda never did “this” and it was $15K cheaper."

Consumer Reports evaluate cars the same way they evaluate refrigerators. BMWs are about the ability to drive passionately. They are way over-engineered for the purpose of getting from point A to B, and therefore are sometimes finicky and not consistent in their operation. But they are over engineered to drive better and differently than other cars. They make you want to get in them and drive. They are not an appliance to use to get to Wal Mart to buy a $6.99 DVD of the Terminator.

If you get a BMW, I can foresee you back here on this board two months from now complaining about the squeaky steering wheel, or rattle in the back seat, or that you can’t see the radio display with polarized sunglasses on. Go buy a Tiburon, or something Asian and be happy.

By the way, a 2005 3 Series is an E46 chassis, not an E90 chassis, which are two completely different cars. This tells me you really don’t care what BMW you own, but that it is just a car that has a Roundel on the hood.

I’m really not trying to flame you, it’s just that I don’t think you are an enthusiast BMW owner type. If you want to become one, then that’s great, just realize you will not be owning a refrigerator that just sits there day after day and keeps your ice cream frozen. It is going to break, do things once and never do it again (like the bluetooth not working for half a day), make funny noises when the engine starts up. Asian cars don’t do these things, but most of them are really boring to drive too.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

+1 ^^^

BMW is not a car that you want to spend hard-earned money on if it's about reliability. It has to be about the driving. Infiniti fans constantly bring that point up here (why don't they tout the G's on their own forum, we've already made our purchases here?).

For example, I was given a brand-new X3 loaner with less than 3k on the clock, and the driver's door wouldn't open and shut properly. This is not unusual for a BMW. It would be crazy for a Honda or Toyota, cars which shine on Consumer Reports.

Anyway, my pick for CPO would be a 2k7 328i sedan. In 2k7 the prices were already high, but you avoid the first year of the e90 (325) and you don't mess with the N54 (which is fine but if you don't need it, why pay). In 2k8 the prices were increased, and for 2k9 they're out of the stratoshpere. I'm just not one to pay an extra 3300 for absolutely nothing....heck, a Samsung 52" 8 Series LCD (that bad-boy is only 68 lbs. and thin) is down to 2200 now, I'd rather have a new tv!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

A quick one regarding Consumer Reports. I read their evaluation of the 1986 Turbo Thunderbird (it was a cool car back in the day). They actually complained that the door was hard to open when you had a paper bag of groceries in hand. WTF.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
By the way, a 2005 3 Series is an E46 chassis, not an E90 chassis, which are two completely different cars. This tells me you really don’t care what BMW you own, but that it is just a car that has a Roundel on the hood.
You are such a BMW stud.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

its hard to tell...there are too many BMW models..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
You are such a BMW stud.
DING! You win.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
What is your budget, what are you looking for, luxury or sport? do you want to finance or lease? how long do you keep on keeping the car for? How often do you wash the car? (color choice)

That's a good list of things you can tell us to better help you
Good point. Looking at 20-22k US to start. I tend to be aggressive with cars I drive but the wife will also use it. A sport sedan with auto would be a nice compromise. Go with about 70 percent down and finance the rest. On returning home I was surprised to find myself dealing with 'credit score' issues. The 30 percent loan isn't a money issue, it's a credit issue. I need a credit score. This is a way to get it.

Keep the car for 3 years estimated.

Typically wash the cash once a week.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If you lived in the USA I would suggest getting a 335 via ED. But Canada is a pain in that regard, and Bimmer prices are high.

For sure I would go test drive the 3-series. See how you like the torque of the 335.

I disagree a bit with some of the previous reliability comments. BMW mechanicals are engineered to withstand years of autobahn high speed driving. I have had BMWs with over 200,000 miles that were still in great condition drivetrain-wise. Little electronic stuff can go bad, but the basics are among the best.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
. . . Canada is a pain in that regard, and Bimmer prices are high.
Agreed. Dollar for dollar Americans are getting better value, especially for used cars. If the Canadian dollar was still par with the US dollar, I'd be looking south of the border for a deal, especially now. Some of the deals on 330 and 328 look quite good indeed. Unfortunately with the dollar's slide to 80 cents and the 6.1 import tax, the savings are mostly gone.

Quote:
For sure I would go test drive the 3-series. See how you like the torque of the 335.
The 335i is a very tempting car indeed.

Quote:

I disagree a bit with some of the previous reliability comments. BMW mechanicals are engineered to withstand years of autobahn high speed driving. I have had BMWs with over 200,000 miles that were still in great condition drivetrain-wise. Little electronic stuff can go bad, but the basics are among the best.
That's what I've heard from others too--drivetrain is solid on BMW, basics are good. I'm not a mechanic but I've been do some reading on RWD vs. FWD cars. Reliability-wise RWD seems to do better. With FWD car designers are forced to cram everything in the front of the car, resulting in smaller transmission gears. RWD cars can have larger transmission gears, which may last longer. The biggest knock against RWD is the room taken up in the interior cabin for the torque tunnel and lower relative traction to FWD. I'd think with Traction Control though traction is not as big an issue as in the past.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
That's what I've heard from others too--drivetrain is solid on BMW, basics are good. I'm not a mechanic but I've been do some reading on RWD vs. FWD cars. Reliability-wise RWD seems to do better. With FWD car designers are forced to cram everything in the front of the car, resulting in smaller transmission gears. RWD cars can have larger transmission gears, which may last longer. The biggest knock against RWD is the room taken up in the interior cabin for the torque tunnel and lower relative traction to FWD. I'd think with Traction Control though traction is not as big an issue as in the past.
If it snows a lot where you are (in Canada!) look into an awd BMW like the 325xi.
Appreciate 0