BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

02-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
HpAggie2009
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW R32

Interior protection for traveling with a medium/large dog

Should be picking up my new G42 this weekend, and being new to BMW (trade in is a '08 R32) I have no idea about keeping my interior safe from my dog when we travel.

Generally, do you guys let your dog travel in the front or back. And what sort of covers/harnesses/etc would you recommend getting?

Dog info if it helps: ~75 lb, short hair that can at time sheds a lot
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #2
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

I can't believe you plan on putting a dog in a new $55k car

I have 3 large Dobermans, when they need to travel, not all 3 at the same time, I use this in the back of our older 4door vehicle. I'm not sure how well it will work with the folding front seat.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited by Ruebarb; 02-01-2022 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #3
HpAggie2009
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post

I have 3 large Dobermans, when they need to travel, not all 3 at the same time, I used this in the back of our older 4door vehicle. I'm not sure how well it will work with the folding front seat.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=UTF8&th=1
Obviously not right away! But there will be times when I have to take him to the vet or interstate travel for family visits during the holidays, so for those short trips I want to keep him and the interior safe.

Also, he's very calm in the car, usually just curls up in the seat of my R32 and sleeps the whole ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #4
Perets
Private
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW, BMW 230i

I had 3700 miles vacation trip to Florida with my corgi week ago. I have dog cover from amazon, ikea blanket and his bed on top. And it didn't work after his throw up from the salt water of dogs beach.
And he afraid bmw, does not sleep, and looks scare. But feels great in Mini with coilovers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
MisteClueless
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M --> 2022 m240i

So right now I have an x5m with a dog hammock for the back seat. the 240 I believe has a small plastic center console in the back seat, so i am going to order a foam pad (2x24x48 possibly going to wait and measure the back seat) off amazon to put on the seat, then put the hammock over top. Its a little unnecessary but I like to spoil them and dont want them uncomfortable on the plastic I have a small Lab mix, about 75 lbs as well and a Shiba thats about 30 lbs, and the 240 will be my only car so from time to time i will have to make trips with them as well. I had an e90 m3 and the back seat seems similar so im not worried about those 2 being cramped back there. I may order a front seat cover and a door cover since they love to stick their heads out the window. But since the shiba has cream hair, im going to cover as much carpet as possible with some throws i have as well to keep the hair from getting stuck in there. Its going to be annoying to prep the car for trips with them. But its better to go through a few minutes of prep than have to spend time digging stuck hairs out of the carpet. I think that about covers my plan.

2022 M240i Brooklyn Gray Shadowline, Black w/ Blue Stitching, 791M w/ as rft, Blue Calipers
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
Retrospaz85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M240/67 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebarb View Post

I have 3 large Dobermans, when they need to travel, not all 3 at the same time, I use this in the back of our older 4door vehicle. I'm not sure how well it will work with the folding front seat.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
I care about my dog more than my car. I typically however use those "dog hammock" protector things. Though his nails are kept short via exercise. I haven't seen any scratches on my current car from him in the back and sometimes sitting upfront like a distinguished german shepard doggo person.
Appreciate 2
n55f151269.50
jpcoop364.00
      02-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
Retrospaz85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisteClueless View Post
So right now I have an x5m with a dog hammock for the back seat. the 240 I believe has a small plastic center console in the back seat, so i am going to order a foam pad (2x24x48 possibly going to wait and measure the back seat) off amazon to put on the seat, then put the hammock over top. Its a little unnecessary but I like to spoil them and dont want them uncomfortable on the plastic I have a small Lab mix, about 75 lbs as well and a Shiba thats about 30 lbs, and the 240 will be my only car so from time to time i will have to make trips with them as well. I had an e90 m3 and the back seat seems similar so im not worried about those 2 being cramped back there. I may order a front seat cover and a door cover since they love to stick their heads out the window. But since the shiba has cream hair, im going to cover as much carpet as possible with some throws i have as well to keep the hair from getting stuck in there. Its going to be annoying to prep the car for trips with them. But its better to go through a few minutes of prep than have to spend time digging stuck hairs out of the carpet. I think that about covers my plan.
Weathertech is a must as soon as its available. I'm less worried about scratches than just abundant dog hair.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
MisteClueless
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M --> 2022 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospaz85 View Post
Weathertech is a must as soon as its available. I'm less worried about scratches than just abundant dog hair.
I would also suggest if you order a hammock for the back seat, to find one that has side protection as well. Most just cover the front and back of the seats, so if you want to protect the inner walls of the back seat that would probably be your best bet.

2022 M240i Brooklyn Gray Shadowline, Black w/ Blue Stitching, 791M w/ as rft, Blue Calipers
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #9
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

My shepherd will also be riding in the backseat, let me know how yours likes it
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

For some reason this thread reminded me of the movie Hall Pass when Flats (JB Smoove) says, "Are y'all sure Applebee's is the best place to meet hot horny women at?"

So, in Smoove's voice I ask, "Are y'all sure an M240i is the best car to haul ass in with a dog?"

When my son was young I made him throw-up in the backseat of a 3 series while driving the twisties in New Mexico on a ski trip, and I took that as a badge of honor. However, a dog in the backseat of a M240i gives me visuals of an astronaut floating around in the International Space Station. They just don't go together like milk & cookies.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #11
Retrospaz85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
For some reason this thread reminded me of the movie Hall Pass when Flats (JB Smoove) says, "Are y'all sure Applebee's is the best place to meet hot horny women at?"

So, in Smoove's voice I ask, "Are y'all sure an M240i is the best car to haul ass in with a dog?"

When my son was young I made him throw-up in the backseat of a 3 series while driving the twisties in New Mexico on a ski trip, and I took that as a badge of honor. However, a dog in the backseat of a M240i gives me visuals of an astronaut floating around in the International Space Station. They just don't go together like milk & cookies.
Do you drive everywhere like you are racing? And I used to squeal tires daily on the mountain roads when I lived in California with him giving me no issue, he knows how to brace, probably way better than your kid
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #12
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

This is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WS...b_b_asin_title

It's a bit narrower than the typical one so it fits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #13
Retrospaz85
Private First Class
Rep

Yea, sadly I don't think the hammock ones work out too well in a coupe but those and the front seat covers (slow speeds and drive thru's my German shepard likes sitting shotgun)
Appreciate 0