BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions We will miss these cars when they're gone

01-29-2022, 04:49 AM   #1
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

We will miss these cars when they're gone

We had some light snow tonight so I took my 530i Msport to an empty parking lot, turned off DSC, and drifted to my hearts content. It was soooooo much fun! Just unbridled hooliganism. After I was done, I turned up the volume on Water music, turned DSC on, and drove home slowly and comfortably like a respectable member of society. Nowadays, we all give BMW flak for a lot of the rubbish they do (myself inclusive), but I think all the noise sometimes makes us forget the amazing breadth of engineering that company possesses and how they do try to bring it all to their customers. How many cars on the road today can provide such a dynamic experience - stately grand tourer and drift hooligan in one! I don't know how well Teslas or Taycans or i40s drift - I assume they do, but without the sound, the throttle feedback, the feel of the engine working with the chassis, I don't know how controllable they'd be, or whether they'd be fun at all. I for one know I'll def miss the ICE once its gone and I'm gonna do my darnedest to secure some icons for the future.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yeh I think we are at the sunset of ICE cars now
I have a 2017 540 xdrive and at present have no desire to change it.
I think the whole attitude to cars, the environment is changing rapidly and I think it won't be long before we start looking back at now and saying "you remember when used to be able to <insert fun item here>"

As I've mention before at least here in the U.K. and especially London, there seems a megative attitude to cars and our fun is continually being chipped away including:-
Speed bumps
20mph speed limits
Cycles and pedestrians now have priority over cars (that came into law today)
Number of lanes reduced for cars in some cases from 3 to 1
Congestion charge
Ultra low emission zone
Average speed cameras
Parking spaces for EVs only
S
Mandatory speed limiters on new cars (summer 2022 )
Road tax price increases

So yes I for one enjoy what BMw make although I'm not keen on where they are going with their design and ergonomics.

Yes enjoy these while we can
Appreciate 2
admg31.00
en1gma200.00
      01-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #3
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Just missing that third pedal ......
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Just where is all this electricity supposed to come from? Here in the PRK the grid can't keep up with summer demands now. There isn't enough solar (which, obviously, doesn't produce at night, or windmills to produce the required electricity. Then there's the environmental cost of producing electric cars...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Just where is all this electricity supposed to come from? Here in the PRK the grid can't keep up with summer demands now. There isn't enough solar (which, obviously, doesn't produce at night, or windmills to produce the required electricity. Then there's the environmental cost of producing electric cars...
Believe it or not. This shift is probably the best thing for the power industry. As commercial factories and offices increasingly move to solar the power industry has a demand problem. The grid has capacity, but responding to spikes is a challenge. Ideally residential will help with this.
Appreciate 0