BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2022, 10:03 PM   #1
Nexon
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30, 2022 G05

Can I use my own SIM card in X5?

Hi everyone, a few questions just come out to my mind:

I know x5 has the 4G connectivity, but it seems the data plan from BMW connective drive is quite expensive.

1. Can I use my own data sim? I knew Audi Q5 have a sim tray and let you freely change to whatever carrier or data plan you want. Can x5 do that?

2. Once I used up the first 3mo/6G complementary data, does the iDrive map services, like traffic sense, will completely be stopped due to no internet connection?

3. Can I use my own phone as a hotspot and let x5 do the system updates/map updates/map download via my own data plan? (I got the unlimited data with high-speed hotspot from Verizon)

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:37 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexon View Post

I know x5 has the 4G connectivity, but it seems the data plan from BMW connective drive is quite expensive.

1. Can I use my own data sim? I knew Audi Q5 have a sim tray and let you freely change to whatever carrier or data plan you want. Can x5 do that?

2. Once I used up the first 3mo/6G complementary data, does the iDrive map services, like traffic sense, will completely be stopped due to no internet connection?

3. Can I use my own phone as a hotspot and let x5 do the system updates/map updates/map download via my own data plan? (I got the unlimited data with high-speed hotspot from Verizon)

Thanks!!!
Unfortunately no, BMW uses a Telematic Communications Box (TCB) with an integrated BMW P-SIM card - Internet, Teleservices, W-LAN – that's connected to the roof-mounted aerial.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.35.34 PM.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  168.3 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 01-13-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
1230vani660.00
GrussGott18198.00
      01-13-2022, 11:25 PM   #3
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexon View Post

Thanks!!!
Auricom covered #1 in detail. As far as #2, your traffic, map updates/services, iDrive SW updates and even Spotify will work just fine without you buying the 4G service. All of the data to do that is included with the corresponding BMW Apps/Services. (So effectively, what the cellular service that you pay for gives you is connectivity for your devices to consume. It doesn't impact what the vehicle consumes.)

For #3, no, you can't connect the vehicle to another Wi-Fi network.