BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
DZ F30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport

G42 Hifi vs. Harmon Kardon

Just wanted to know how the hifi sound system is for the G42? I currently have an F30 with the harmon kardon surround sound system and am currently thinking about getting a G42 2 series without the Harmon Kardon sound system? Just want to know how the hifi system is overall. I like listening to various kinds of music, rock, hip-hop, electronic, etc. and just want to make sure the clarity, quality, and bass will be good coming from someone who has the previous generation harmon kardon sound system.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ F30 View Post
Just wanted to know how the hifi sound system is for the G42? I currently have an F30 with the harmon kardon surround sound system and am currently thinking about getting a G42 2 series without the Harmon Kardon sound system? Just want to know how the hifi system is overall. I like listening to various kinds of music, rock, hip-hop, electronic, etc. and just want to make sure the clarity, quality, and bass will be good coming from someone who has the previous generation harmon kardon sound system.
This being my first BMW, I was expecting that even the HiFi system would be more impressive coming from a '15 VW Golf launch edition (the cheapest model that didn't even have cruise control).

I have seen it mentioned before here, but you really have to get the volume past 75% to be perceive any clarity on the HiFi system. I have not done enough testing with the engine sound settings to see how heavily it influences the quality of the music playing. For the price, I would think upgrading to the HK is a no brainer, I know I wish I did since most upgrades I have seen mentioned start at $800+ just replacing 4 speakers with better quality ones.

Nothing about the system is going to wow you. I would describe it as serviceable. If you are in any way an audiophile, you are going to be looking to upgrade the system. I can't speak to the HK system.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 2
DZ F30303.50
      12-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ F30 View Post
Coming from the upgraded sound system in the F22 2 series, it is much better and provides for equilization across the audio spectrum, which was not previously available. I am still 'playing' with the settings, but am thinking the speakers need upgrades, as in the F22 (see the threads on that site about upgrading sound from HK). The HK system gets you better electronics to build on, if you want to upgrade the various drivers.
Appreciate 2
yanks1484.00
DZ F30303.50
      12-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
Floxy
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

I can't speak to the direct comparison but will say I'm very happy with the HK system in the G42. For $900 it was a no-brainer for me. The system is very well balanced. The subs/speakers under the seats work nicely without drowning out.
Appreciate 3
DZ F30303.50
yanks1484.00
jmase248301.50