F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Won't Start
proTUNING Freaks

12-15-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
davidsleslie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

N20 Won't Start

2012 328i with N20 Engine
Just had a re-manufactured engine installed in my car. Engine had previously seized, so decided to do a full overhaul rather than used.

Ran gently for about 130 miles, and then I got a "Drivetrain Malfunction" message on the screen. Drove home and shutdown. When I went to restart a little later, the message had disappeared. Following day, as a caution, drove it down to the shop that did the install for me. Drove fine.

Shop check codes. The only code at that time was 420634 Parking Lock Sensor at Z1 for too long (inducative of the car sitting 3 months while the engine was overhauled). So they said that they would do a Adaptation reset, which they hadn't done when the did the engine install (didn't want to screw with computer apparently).

Now the car won't start. They had a tech come in and do an in-cylinder pressure transducer test and found spark and injector timing correct. But the waveform showed the intake and exhaust timing incorrect (they said both valves opening too early ... I can post here if interested).

Now the following codes are shown:
130104 VANOS, intake control error, camshaft jammed
130304 VANOS, outlet control error, camshaft jammed
130F20 Exhaust camshaft offset angle to crankshaft outside tolerance
120408 Boost pressure control, cut off pressure rise blocked
131501 VANOS, inlet, cold start not controllable
131401 VANOS, outlet, cold start not controllable
131908 VANOS, inlet, cold start position not reached

Any ideas? It seems strange that the car ran fine down to the sho, and when they reset the adaptation, all of a sudden it doesn't start. Or is this a mechanical issue in the 160 mile engine. Shop will honor their warranty, but that will require a removal and reinstall, which they will not cover. Therefore, want to make sure this is not a computer issue before I go that route.

Thanks for any advice / recommendations. I'm at a loss on best way forward.
Appreciate 0