E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HELP! with bluetooth....

05-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Unhappy HELP! with bluetooth....

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to decide what to do with the cell phone I bought for my new 330i. I bought a CINGULAR Sony W600 over the weekend. It's not on the "approved" list but the salesguy said all the Sony phones on the list were old and that this phone would probably sync up and if not I could return and get a RAZR.

My problem is it Syncs MOST of the time. Let me rephrase that it always syncs, there are just sometimes when I make a call it shifts the call back to the cellphone and I cannot hear it on the speaker. If I go back int the I-drive menu and find the phone it works again.

But sometimes it works just fine like this morning I got in the car drove to work and made calls no problem.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem. Should I dump the phone and get a Razor (which I'm not crazy about)?

THANKS!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
btw, this should be posted in the Audio/Blutooth forums

i would definitely keep the phone you have now. RAZR is a piece of crap compared to the W600. dropped BT connections, although very seldom, is not an unusual thing to happen with BT phones/cars. if it works 90% of the time, i don't know if there is any good way to troubleshoot and minimize the problem further.

i'd just stick with your current phone and simply try to ignore those random drops.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats13
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to decide what to do with the cell phone I bought for my new 330i. I bought a CINGULAR Sony W600 over the weekend. It's not on the "approved" list but the salesguy said all the Sony phones on the list were old and that this phone would probably sync up and if not I could return and get a RAZR.

My problem is it Syncs MOST of the time. Let me rephrase that it always syncs, there are just sometimes when I make a call it shifts the call back to the cellphone and I cannot hear it on the speaker. If I go back int the I-drive menu and find the phone it works again.

But sometimes it works just fine like this morning I got in the car drove to work and made calls no problem.

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem. Should I dump the phone and get a Razor (which I'm not crazy about)?

THANKS!!!!
It shouldn't drop the Bluetooth connection like that. Try another phone to see if the same thing happens - could be that you need to upgrade the car's sw. 90% is not considered a good success rate. If it was even 99%, I would still be checking out the problem.

Lots of other Sony Ericsson mobiles out there - by the way. I love the s710a and use it regularly.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
gr8sho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

THANKS!!!!
If this is really important to you, buy a phone that is known to work.
Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Black Leather - 6MT
Sport Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
I got this phone about a month ago and have had no problems with it at all. It pairs with the car everytime immediately too.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
fideba
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

Get a razr :-)
I've had the "old" V3, now have a V3i, and it works flawlessly. Had nothing but trouble with not supported phones...
      05-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is that is what considered not "pairing?" I mean it finds the car fine and I can initiate a call from the car no problem. It's just on the intermitent times the call gets kicked back to the phone and I see on my I Drive screen connecting but I hear no sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Timbo
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Have owned both a V3 Razr and 330xi for over 2 months now with 100% connection rate.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 01:13 AM   #9
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
Is that is what considered not "pairing?" I mean it finds the car fine and I can initiate a call from the car no problem. It's just on the intermitent times the call gets kicked back to the phone and I see on my I Drive screen connecting but I hear no sound.
In my book "Pairing" is the "once only" procedure where you tell the devices to look for each other and enter pass keys etc... You SHOULD only need to pair devices the first time that you introduce them to each other, or after major work which causes settings to be lost.

I refer to the day to day linking of the phone and car as "connecting" (different from call connecting). When you are in the car, the phone and car will "connect", transfer the phonebook, and stay connected and ready to originate or receive calls.

I doubt that you can "Tweak" anything to improve things. The problem is likely to be compatibility between the phone and the car. In other cases this has sometimes been improved by software updates to the car or phone.

If your car is new (it has been said produced since December - which will contain software released last September) then it should be reasonably up to date (there are some major bluetooth fixes for earlier cars).

Otherwise you could check for software updates for the phone. No guarantees that this will fix it however. Not all phones ship with the latest software.

You have a choice to make.
1) Stick with the current level of functionality
2) Switch to a RAZR - most people around here say it works well (possibly some call waiting or line two issues for power users! - Do a search here to look for these reports) Ensure that the software level on the phone is correct (see compatibility list)
3) Get the phone dealer to check for newer software for your current phone and try it. (It may be possiblt ot do this yourself, but this will likely void warranty, or your exchange promise)
4) Borrow a phone which is on the compatibility list and that has the required software level, and try that in the car in order to check for a hardware fault in the car.

Having the bluetooth systen workind seamlessly is a great thing. My personal choice would be to go for the compatibility. Sods law says that the system will glitch whan you are receiving a call in a tricky traffic situation. I'd not want be distracted then! (crunch!!!! )

Whatever you choose - Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
rogataber
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330SE (E90)

SE Phones

It is not true to say that all SE phones will work - the Symbian range (SE 900 and so on) doesn't (as far as I can find out). However I suspect your phone is in the T610/T630/T637/K750i/W800 series, all of which seem to work. I have used T610 & T630 & K750i phones with no trouble BUT on the K750i it was necessary to update the software in the phone to the latest version. A utility is available on the Sony Ericsson site which lets you do this. Have you looked to see if you are at the latest software version? If not, I bet that a download of the latest version will do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Rats13
Enlisted Member
Rep

hmmm this has really got me puzzled I thought maybe it was due to the fact the phone wasn't on when I started the car but no dice. This morning I started the car sync'd fine and made a call. Later that same drive I tried again no soap the call diverted to the phone. I don't get it!!!! I'm leaning towards dumping the phone for the Razr. I might try updating the software on the phone but right now I am just not having a positive bluetooth experience

And to boot the car charger is just a smidge to big to close the armrest :mad:

BUT at least I love driving my new 330i
Appreciate 0