home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Does anyone know how much, if any, fake engine/exhaust sounds are pumped into these cars?

I was driving last night and got some interesting sounds while in sport and sport plus. The pops/crackle when releasing the throttle after hard acceleration sound more like subtle booms in the cabin (windows up). Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not sure if I like it or not. I know the B58 sounds great from the outside but the booming sounds in the cabin are…different. At first I thought I had something loose in the rear (suspension related), and later realized the thumping/booms are happening after I release the throttle.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
Polot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i, Volvo S60

Yes, there is fake/pumped in exhaust noise as with most BMWs (and most performance cars tbh).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polot View Post
Yes, there is fake/pumped in exhaust noise as with most BMWs (and most performance cars tbh).
I'm sure it can be coded out. I'm just curious how much of this thumping/booming noise I'm hearing is authentic vs fake sounds.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

BMW calls it Active Sound Design.
Some cars have iDrive settings, some do not.
Worth checking.

Attached Images

12-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
Polot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i, Volvo S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN1P3 View Post
I'm sure it can be coded out. I'm just curious how much of this thumping/booming noise I'm hearing is authentic vs fake sounds.
Depends on which drive setting you are in. Typically the sportier the setting the louder and more aggressive the fake sound is unless coded out or changed in vehicle settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Can this be turned off in the G42? PLease tell me its an option!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Can this be turned off in the G42? PLease tell me its an option!
Edit - Confirmation below.

Permanently coding it off will be possible.
Bimmercode (example) does not officially list the G42 yet.
Attached Images

12-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
Does anyone know how much, if any, fake engine/exhaust sounds are pumped into these cars?

I was driving last night and got some interesting sounds while in sport and sport plus. The pops/crackle when releasing the throttle after hard acceleration sound more like subtle booms in the cabin (windows up). Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not sure if I like it or not. I know the B58 sounds great from the outside but the booming sounds in the cabin are…different. At first I thought I had something loose in the rear (suspension related), and later realized the thumping/booms are happening after I release the throttle.

The manual is helpful! It's in the settings. Have seen it, but I haven't messed with it, really doesn't bother me. Give that a go
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
SN1P3211.50
      12-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42Bama View Post
Quote:

The manual is helpful! It's in the settings. Have seen it, but I haven't messed with it, really doesn't bother me. Give that a go
Will try for sure! Thanks for the tip!

I'm also trying to confirm that my sounds are on par with what's expected. Does yours make the same thumping/booming sounds as opposed to pops/crackles?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
G42Bama
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm also trying to confirm that my sounds are on par with what's expected. Does yours make the same thumping/booming sounds as opposed to pops/crackles?
It seems to on more aggressive shifts. But I haven't been getting on it too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
SN1P3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I can confirm this is adjustable within the settings. The reduced setting has eliminated the sounds completely (or has reduced it to the point where it's not noticeable to me)!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
yanks1484.00
G42Bama402.50
yabo2c192.50
vampire81434.50
      12-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I can confirm this is adjustable within the settings. The reduced setting has eliminated the sounds completely (or has reduced it to the point where it's not noticeable to me)!
Excellent, does it stay set to reduced on the next power cycle (so you don't have to do it every trip).
      12-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #13
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes I can confirm mine does the same thing. I'm kind of missing the pops and burbles of my f22 m240i with m performance exhaust and Dinan midpipe. might have to do these same mods on my new car once they are available.
Appreciate 1
SN1P3211.50