E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New suspension shimmy, 335xi

11-14-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
elpollodiablo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

New suspension shimmy, 335xi

Have an e92 335xi with 165k miles. Have developed a weird/severe wobble when I go over bumps at highway speed. Like the rear end shimmys. Car makes weird noises and feels really unstable when going around corners at speed.
The setup: Did a full suspension rebuild at 100k miles with new Eibach springs, Bilstein struts, Complete M3 rear end including bushings, front end including bushings, m3 swaybars, urethane swaybar bushings, urethane steering rack bushings. Misc driving over the last 60k miles or so have been excellent and mostly highway/commute driving. At ~155k miles had right rear axle shaft and bearings replaced. ~160k miles, right front axle and bearings replaced, new tires and alignment. Car felt and handled like a new car. Rock solid and amazing at any speed and around corners. Drove (Moved) from east coast to Colorado with a very full load (probably extra 1k-1.2k lbs in weight from belongings that I didn't feel comfortable sending with movers packed in the trunk and back seat laid flat), right front axle shaft went out again on the trip. Handling was off when I got to Denver. 1k miles later, replaced axle a 3rd time and suspension feels horrible. Just replaced the engine mounts and axle a 4th time (was suggested the bad right front engine mount was destroying the bearings on the shaft.) Inspected the suspension and everything feels tight by hand but still have the instability cornering and shimmy when i hit bumps. Any advice before i start systematically replacing suspension parts?
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

My first guess would be one or both rear shocks are shot. Next guess would be bushings in the rear track control arms.

When you loaded down with cargo and went across country in your move, did you still have some rear suspension travel or were you possibly on the bump stops? Did the shimmy appear after (during?) that trip, and stay ever since? I assume you've had the alignment checked, but you didn't mention it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Join the ColoradoN5X FB group. There's a nice selection of mechanics in the Denver area. I'm sure they could help resolve your issues. Though from the sounds of it, check your shocks

Ivan Sanchez
ColoradoN5X
Luis Slotkin

Those are the top three from what I've noticed
      11-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
stilesg57
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 328i 6MT

^^^ Can vouch for Slotkin. Took great care of my e46 ZHP when I lived in Denver.
Appreciate 0