E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Extended Warranty

11-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Extended Warranty

I have a friend with an 04 M3, that has no warranty and wants to buy an extnded one?? As there has been a lapse,m since the end of the manufacturers warranty, I believe he can't buy a BMW one, which aftermarket warranty is best?

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Are you sure, thought that you could get one even when the original had lapsed as long as the car had full bmw service history.

But i think there is a premium over what others pay, check some of the other bmw forums (mtorque etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I have a friend with an 04 M3, that has no warranty and wants to buy an extnded one?? As there has been a lapse,m since the end of the manufacturers warranty, I believe he can't buy a BMW one, which aftermarket warranty is best?
I think this is right, but if I were him I would check with BMW anyway and try to persuade them to take it back.

I got a quote of circa £1k from warranty direct when I was looking at M3's. Only good for major disasters though really - e.g. blown engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Once its lapsed only a dealership can add the Mondial/BMW warranty when they sell the car under the AUC scheme. WD seems to be a bit of a lottery, I`ve read some good experiences and at the same time some bad ones
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Once its lapsed only a dealership can add the Mondial/BMW warranty when they sell the car under the AUC scheme. WD seems to be a bit of a lottery, I`ve read some good experiences and at the same time some bad ones
]

Are you sure about that?

Seems to have changed nowadays...

http://www.mtorque.co.uk/ubbthreads/...693#Post670693
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Turbo Power
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

It has now changed you can now purchase a BMW backed warrenty from BMW themselves. One of the criteria is that your car must have FBMWSH.

I would like to know why BMW have changed their policy on warrenties as this wasn't the case previously. Are they feeling the effects of the credit crunch?