BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #1
IRB
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Drive 28i 2015

X3 2015 engine oil put into coolant reservoir by mistake

Have done the stupidest act in a hurry where I happen to put
1 bottle of No Leak stop leak additive and then a little quantity of engine oil into coolant reservoir in my X3 2015 4 cylinders...
Please advise my options as to if there is an easy DYI solution to fix this problem..
Do I have to flush the whole coolant system and can I do it myself as a novice?

Thanks for your helpful advice in advance...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Gena1
Rep
Drives: F34

Oil in coolant, the cooling efficiency would greatly be impacted. If u noticed it before running the car to temperature where the thermostat has opened, it is easy to do by draining the loop. You will have to disconnect the hose side connecting to the engine(cooled in ---hot out) and get a running water possible from tap able to create positive pressure to force circulation through the loop. Would be necessary to add liquid soap to the running water to be able to dissolve the oil that may have cling to the inner surface of the reservoir tank and the loop internals. When u have observed clean water coming out, you can connect back hoses and top coolant. It will be wise to monitor purity of the coolant and then make a final change before feeling comfortable that the situation is completely handled. I once had similar issue on one of my cars mixing transmission oil into coolant and this was how I solved it after fixing the problem
Appreciate 0