BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > GTS Power S55 Cooling on Track

09-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
ftw
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman R, Audi Q7

GTS Power S55 Cooling on Track

Hi all,

I do trackdays in the UK and Europe and so far I've had no issues with my stock S55 engine and DCT box.

Now the warranty period is coming to an end I am looking at getting MHD/BM3 and flashing in the GTS 500bhp 600Nm tune.

Does the above require an upgrade of the cooling system? Intake cooling and or engine/box.

The lack of temperature gauges on the F series cars really annoys me, I have no idea how close to de-rate I am with stock power let alone GTS power.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw View Post
Hi all,

I do trackdays in the UK and Europe and so far I've had no issues with my stock S55 engine and DCT box.

Now the warranty period is coming to an end I am looking at getting MHD/BM3 and flashing in the GTS 500bhp 600Nm tune.

Does the above require an upgrade of the cooling system? Intake cooling and or engine/box.

The lack of temperature gauges on the F series cars really annoys me, I have no idea how close to de-rate I am with stock power let alone GTS power.

Cheers
Hey man! Personally I haven't had any heat issues outside of brake cooling and I'm at around 600hp (crank). As for temp monitoring, get a veepeak and any racing app for like $60 total and you can monitor in real time!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
ftw
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman R, Audi Q7

Thanks for the feedback, very useful!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I have the MHD GTS 500HP (Stage 0) tune since one year and it's excellent. Great power and no overheating on track & driftdays.

I'd recommend it to anybody here. I'm getting the CH done preventively though, in a month.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cWW View Post
Hey man! Personally I haven't had any heat issues outside of brake cooling and I'm at around 600hp (crank). As for temp monitoring, get a veepeak and any racing app for like $60 total and you can monitor in real time!
That's really weird, because I was running Buttonwillow in the summer and the car overheated, I installed a Dinan - High Performance Heat Exchanger, and never looked back. At Big Willow my DCT overheated I installeda CSF DUAL-PASS DCT TRANSMISSION COOLER, never had a problem afterwards. I do have BM3 and was running E30 stage 2.
I agree however with you about the OBD2 plugins to monitor.
2019 M2C Sunset Orange/Black (Ohlins/swift coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Heat exchanger, BM3 ECU tune, CF mirror caps, diffuser and rear spoiler, Vorsteiner V-FF 101 Patina Bronze wheels)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT M View Post
Quote:
That's really weird, because I was running Buttonwillow in the summer and the car overheated, I installed a Dinan - High Performance Heat Exchanger, and never looked back. At Big Willow my DCT overheated I installeda CSF DUAL-PASS DCT TRANSMISSION COOLER, never had a problem afterwards. I do have BM3 and was running E30 stage 2.
I agree however with you about the OBD2 plugins to monitor.
How many laps deep were you before heat soak, and what was ambient temp? I found it would overheat after like 45 minutes of going nuts on big willow but honestly it cooled itself off pretty fast if I just took a five minute break around 25 minutes in. I just did tyre checks and break checks around then.
That being said, I'm also in a manual car, not sure if that would affect too much
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How many laps deep were you before heat soak, and what was ambient temp? I found it would overheat after like 45 minutes of going nuts on big willow but honestly it cooled itself off pretty fast if I just took a five minute break around 25 minutes in. I just did tyre checks and break checks around then.
That being said, I'm also in a manual car, not sure if that would affect too much
We get 4 sessions of 20 minutes each, it was midday at buttonwillow close to 95F for engine overheating. At Big Willow it was a crazy day, started with 45F in the morning and reached 97F in the PM. I hit limp mode, I went out to check the car restarted it went fine afterwards. Still I am glad to have these 2 potential issues taken care off. That's what you get when you put a big engine in a small space.
2019 M2C Sunset Orange/Black (Ohlins/swift coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Heat exchanger, BM3 ECU tune, CF mirror caps, diffuser and rear spoiler, Vorsteiner V-FF 101 Patina Bronze wheels)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We get 4 sessions of 20 minutes each, it was midday at buttonwillow close to 95F for engine overheating. At Big Willow it was a crazy day, started with 45F in the morning and reached 97F in the PM. I hit limp mode, I went out to check the car restarted it went fine afterwards. Still I am glad to have these 2 potential issues taken care off. That's what you get when you put a big engine in a small space.
Big willow truly gets whacky with the temps. I figure if you are doing this often it's critical, but if you aren't experiencing the problem, probably not the first mod I'd do you know?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #9
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Big willow truly gets whacky with the temps. I figure if you are doing this often it's critical, but if you aren't experiencing the problem, probably not the first mod I'd do you know?
I agree, after power comes safety and reliability, my next mode is changing the skid plate, I already changed one and the second one is already broken and my oil cooler is bent.
You are in Westwood? I used to live there when I worked at UCLA.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, after power comes safety and reliability, my next mode is changing the skid plate, I already changed one and the second one is already broken and my oil cooler is bent.
You are in Westwood? I used to live there when I worked at UCLA.
I'm no longer there, I'm in Thousand Oaks though! You? Also, if you need a good skid plate, the front diffuser MFR engineering makes acts as a skid plate and is bulletproof. All space grade aluminum and cheap to replace. I've beat the crap out of mine with success 👍👍
Appreciate 0