E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Delayed/Scrapped Road Tax

11-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Delayed/Scrapped Road Tax

Good news for a lot of people...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...-scrapped.html

...apart from the second half of the article!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Glad my new car friends have some good news Luckily, very luckily I'm not effected.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

My mate has just lost over £5k off the value of his Mondeo ST220 in the last 3 - 4 months due to fuel and tax prices going up. Sold the car last week. Now he is really pissed off the tax increase could be scrapped.

Brown/Darling have made a bad economy worse with shit like this !!!

Another Rule by Fear and Control the Movement of the Masses tactic. Didn't realise we are living in a Stalinist State!!

Next will be speeding tickets in the post due to the little black box in the car
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Well that's saved me £15 for next years road tax. Still works out at £1.10 per day.

It is good news though as those rises would affect many family cars and ultimately alot of people.

Wonder where the government is now planning to get that lost revenue from then.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Well that's saved me £15 for next years road tax. Still works out at £1.10 per day.

It is good news though as those rises would affect many family cars and ultimately alot of people.

Wonder where the government is now planning to get that lost revenue from then.
Road tolls in city centres asap. Pay to drive in addition to Road Fund Licence. Fuel Duty. Increased parking charges. Resident parking permits. Thieving f##kers.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Surely implementing all the above everywhere around the country where it is 'constituted as viable' is NOT a vote winner.

There's been rumours abound for at least three years now about road tolls for the City of Hull. Apart from being farcical in the extreme, there's no way near enough traffic passing through the cities boundaries to possibly justify such a tax. You don't pass through Hull unless you want to swim to bloody Holland. What they have done is introduced Park 'n' ride and some of the Victorian/Edwardian streets have resident parking permits which are free. The Council did try increasing parking charges within the City centre so everybody voted with their feet and shopped at York, Meadowhall etc. Council have since reduced the charges lol.

I'd read that the Government have removed their limits on borrowing thereby funding short term tax cuts by borrowing more money. Yeah, great in the short term but what about the long term. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
They even were on about this in Derby of all places!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Surely implementing all the above everywhere around the country where it is 'constituted as viable' is NOT a vote winner.

There's been rumours abound for at least three years now about road tolls for the City of Hull. Apart from being farcical in the extreme, there's no way near enough traffic passing through the cities boundaries to possibly justify such a tax. You don't pass through Hull unless you want to swim to bloody Holland. What they have done is introduced Park 'n' ride and some of the Victorian/Edwardian streets have resident parking permits which are free. The Council did try increasing parking charges within the City centre so everybody voted with their feet and shopped at York, Meadowhall etc. Council have since reduced the charges lol.

I'd read that the Government have removed their limits on borrowing thereby funding short term tax cuts by borrowing more money. Yeah, great in the short term but what about the long term. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
They have still got that bloody speed camera van parked at the bottom of the fly over every time I leave Hull. They should have a sign on the side saying 'Thank you for visiting Hull. Now here's a £60 fine and 3 points for your custom!!'

Also got a £95 fine last month for parking in the McDonalds on Hull Quay for more than an hour FFS !!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
They have still got that bloody speed camera van parked at the bottom of the fly over every time I leave Hull. They should have a sign on the side saying 'Thank you for visiting Hull. Now here's a £60 fine and 3 points for your custom!!'

Also got a £95 fine last month for parking in the McDonalds on Hull Quay for more than an hour FFS !!
Oh yes the Clive Sullivan Way west bound side waiting for everyone coming off Daltry Street flyover. The buggers sit there because you automatically want to put your foot down after coming off the tightish bend off the flyover and it's two lanes. There has been a number or shunts there from people braking suddenly when they spot the bloody van. Does my head in.

Never go to McDonalds so didn't know about being able to be fined whilst in their car park. If you ever visit St Andrews Quay again park near Frankie & Bennys whatever and walk across the road.

How come you've been up to Hull then?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Oh yes the Clive Sullivan Way west bound side waiting for everyone coming off Daltry Street flyover. The buggers sit there because you automatically want to put your foot down after coming off the tightish bend off the flyover and it's two lanes. There has been a number or shunts there from people braking suddenly when they spot the bloody van. Does my head in.

Never go to McDonalds so didn't know about being able to be fined whilst in their car park. If you ever visit St Andrews Quay again park near Frankie & Bennys whatever and walk across the road.

How come you've been up to Hull then?
Nearly ended up in a shunt previously with trucks locking up brakes on that corner.

I use McD's for the free Wifi when I'm on the road picking up emails. I refuse to have a Blackberry..... it's just glorified texting and your expected to instantly reply.

I have a large account in Hull. Up there every two to four weeks for meetings.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nearly ended up in a shunt previously with trucks locking up brakes on that corner.

I use McD's for the free Wifi when I'm on the road picking up emails. I refuse to have a Blackberry..... it's just glorified texting and your expected to instantly reply.

I have a large account in Hull. Up there every two to four weeks for meetings.
I understand about the McDonalds thing now. There's some pretty impressive ships in Albert Dock and William Wright Dock at the moment. Most people are slowing down to eye ball them, so the bloody speed camera van 'aint going to make much money at least.

You'll have to give me a flash (headlights ) if you see me then. That said, there's a woman (dark haired) has an Atlas Grey standard Cayman I see regularly two streets away dropping her child off at a child minders house. There is also a bloke in a 57 reg. Atlas Grey Cayman S whom I see near to where I live so he's obviously local to me as well, at least he nods. Bloody common as muck these Caymans lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

You'll have to give me a flash (headlights ) if you see me then.
Will do. Although as you say Caymans are two a penny. I'd rather have a more rare Carbon Black E91

I was in Hull twice this week. With 1000 miles in one week you couldn't tell what colour black my car is

OCD kicking in. Need to clean it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will do. Although as you say Caymans are two a penny. I'd rather have a more rare Carbon Black E91

OCD kicking in. Need to clean it tomorrow.
Sehr gut mein Freund I must concur that carbon black E91's are not two a penny around East Yorks., although E90's and E92's - different matter.

As for cleaning......... did mine today and it was particularly dirty Quite impressed with the Meguiars shampoo plus though, and yes, I do 'dry off' the discs after washing. Always have done tbh. I know Porsche discs are a bugger for sticking on if you don't do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Caymen are rather unusual round here, we tend to have more 911s (996 and 997) and Boxsters.

Not all that many Caymen (if one is a man surely the plural is men? Don't actually know this) or 968, 944, 924, 914 (though I see one often), 928 (strangely more common round here than '44s, '24s and 14's put together!), SC - 993 911s see a fair few though pre SC very rare and only seen 1 356 in a year round here!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have to worry about getting fined at McDonalds. The last time I ate at any McDonalds was 20 June 1989; ordered a BigMac, fries, and a beer. Beer was great, BigMac was awful.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0