BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
rodo94
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC Carbon Black

Drove a Model Y performance today

I did it so you don't have to
second time actually, last was last week.

Think of a negative? it's in the list, must be.
I could go on and on for hours pointing out the negatives.

Think of a positive point? yeah the acceleration... that's the only one, but! it will make you dizzy, your senses are lost deep inside the ugly plush seat.

My GF got in, asked if the cart was fully assembled, there is nothing inside except a screen

The hard kicking acceleration is brutal for passengers.
It kicks you then nothing, you can get car sick really fast even driving it, it's fun for a minute but you realize that's pretty much it, simply boring.
Few miles on the freeway, you can feel that the low end power completely vanished, it gives you a sense of acceleration because of the soft seat and suspension, a fake sensation.

I would say in Chill mode it drives like a 30/35i.

Then got back home in my 2019 x3 m40i....

SO MUCH SMILES PER GALON OMG

if you are not a car guy, don't care much about driving, don't want to think about it, don't like to party, you suck as a person, it's probably for you
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
I've driven a couple Teslas now... I still can't stand them. I RESPECT the living crud out of them (and what Elon has done)... But they aren't for me. Having said that... all the new Electric Audis coming out, and the Porsches too... those might be something I'll look at when the time comes. In the meantime, I'll take my exhaust notes and gear shifts all day every day, thank you very much!
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Got a ride in a model 3 that had the extra performance package. The instant acceleration hurt my lower back jerking me into the seat! Oh, but it has a fart app on the screen that you can play outside the car as well. I take the real fart exhaust from my M40i any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I really enjoyed driving the Model 3 Performance, so I was really looking forward to the Y, thinking it would drive just like a slightly taller 3...

...it doesn't, at all. I don't understand how two things so similar could drive so completely differently. It's also weirdly less comfortable. What a disappointment.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #5
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
I've driven a couple Teslas now... I still can't stand them. I RESPECT the living crud out of them (and what Elon has done)... But they aren't for me. Having said that... all the new Electric Audis coming out, and the Porsches too... those might be something I'll look at when the time comes. In the meantime, I'll take my exhaust notes and gear shifts all day every day, thank you very much!
Amen.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #6
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I too test drove a model Y performance this past saturday, it was the second tesla I have driven but the first performance version, I also have driven the mach e. compared to my x4m40 it goes slightly faster.......and thats its only superior point. I did not care for the fake leather seats, its single vent across the entire dash, its lack of actual dash, its interface, the shifter. I would say it felt extremely solid and the suspension was quite good though I prefer my x4's. the giant glass roof/ceiling was nice to look out of though you definitely feel like you're driving a fish bowl. I took it on my favorite nearby twisty turny drive and then back up the expressway. the entrance ramp had no one on it but me so I pushed it, it literally feels and sounds like you're in a small jet. it pushes you into your seat and sounds like a turbine engine is propelling you. I preferred the mach e's styling but while it too was a fun drive it just doesn't compete. I too was more than happy to climb back into my red and black merino seats and felt the more acoustically involved driving experience. the steering, the brakes, the suspension, the tactile feel of the bmw is just better. still though that sensation when you can get on it in that tesla is impressive.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1290.00
      08-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
viper689
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30e

I respect EVs, hell, I have a PHEV X3, but I'll be damned before I switch over to a full EV. There's just no soul, at least in Teslas. They're the EV that people get when they don't want to know much about cars, similar to Priuses and hybrids. Eventually, everything will be full EV, so I'm going to enjoy ICE and the exhaust notes as long as I can.
Appreciate 0