BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

08-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe

Multimedia issues

Hi all,

not sure if this has been mentioned on the forum before so apologies if it has. I'll try my best to explain the problem... When I start the car my phone automatically connects to Android auto and will start playing my Spotify playlists etc. Then after one or two minutes or maybe two songs it will just stop. I'll go into android auto and press the play button, it'll show the time of the track is still ticking along but no music?

I have no way of restarting the music without starting the car again which is clearly not ideal.

Spotify/android auto/phone updates etc are all up to date and latest versions

I have Spotify also downloaded on the car apps which I don't know if it's getting confused as to which Spotify to play from. Does anyone know how to unconnect the Spotify app so it's just the android auto?

All help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Mark220i
Rep
Drives: BMW 2GC 220i

Issues….

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknewman View Post
Hi all,

not sure if this has been mentioned on the forum before so apologies if it has. I'll try my best to explain the problem... When I start the car my phone automatically connects to Android auto and will start playing my Spotify playlists etc. Then after one or two minutes or maybe two songs it will just stop. I'll go into android auto and press the play button, it'll show the time of the track is still ticking along but no music?

I have no way of restarting the music without starting the car again which is clearly not ideal.

Spotify/android auto/phone updates etc are all up to date and latest versions

I have Spotify also downloaded on the car apps which I don't know if it's getting confused as to which Spotify to play from. Does anyone know how to unconnect the Spotify app so it's just the android auto?

All help appreciated
How old is your car? Mine did this on the first few days, I suspect this may be an ongoing issue for you. Usual IT type recommendations- unpair the phone, remove Spotify app, reinstall, try again!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark220i View Post
How old is your car? Mine did this on the first few days, I suspect this may be an ongoing issue for you. Usual IT type recommendations- unpair the phone, remove Spotify app, reinstall, try again!
2 weeks old. It started off fine for the first few days that I can remember then just started having these weird buggy issues.

Stuff like on the digital cockpit where it has the album cover and song title, it will freeze on one song even though other songs are playing. Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:14 AM   #4
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknewman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark220i View Post
2 weeks old. It started off fine for the first few days that I can remember then just started having these weird buggy issues.

Stuff like on the digital cockpit where it has the album cover and song title, it will freeze on one song even though other songs are playing. Annoying.
Trade for a iPhone. Works flawlessly for over a year now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:10 AM   #5
Madturbs
Rep
Drives: 128ti White

Hi Jack,

I had a similar issue when my phone connected to Android Auto.

Only way I could fix it was to remove the phone form the system and reconnect it as a new phone, then when givin the option to connect to android auto decline this. Ive used the spotify app on the car since and I've had no issues.

I see no benefit of using Android Auto over the system in the car.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #6
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturbs View Post
Hi Jack,

I had a similar issue when my phone connected to Android Auto.

Only way I could fix it was to remove the phone form the system and reconnect it as a new phone, then when givin the option to connect to android auto decline this. Ive used the spotify app on the car since and I've had no issues.

I see no benefit of using Android Auto over the system in the car.

Hope this helps

Cheers mate, will give this a go!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

I had to disconnect Android auto as the system kept trying to play Spotify from phone and then messed up with Spotify app on car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
Toubro
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d

I experienced the opposite. I prefer to use the BMW Spotify app, but if my iPhone is connected in CarPlay mode, it plays a few seconds then cuts and open CarPlay much to my displeasure.
It sounds to me that the built in Spotify and Spotify on the phone, whether it being Android or iPhone, creates a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:50 AM   #9
Kevin298
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 218i MSport GC (F44)

Garage List
Hi guys, this sounds similar to my issues. Except mines is iPhone.
Appreciate 0