Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Problem installing Remote Engine Start

08-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I paid for remote engine start via ConnectedDrive and I'm currently subscribed. I was prompted to update the software on my car but from all indications software upgrade likely failed (there was no change to my software version number.) Further, I had no option to enable remote engine start under the ventilation settings after the attempted update.

Car has been with the dealer for 4 days: they have upgraded to the latest software (07/21) as of today - a software version I was trying to avoid at ALL cost - but that didn't fix the issue. I still don't have the option for remote engine start even though I have subscription for it.

Brand new M340xi MY21 already having issues with it. Quite disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #2
anselansel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I paid for remote engine start via ConnectedDrive and I'm currently subscribed. I was prompted to update the software on my car but from all indications software upgrade likely failed (there was no change to my software version number.) Further, I had no option to enable remote engine start under the ventilation settings after the attempted update.

Car has been with the dealer for 4 days: they have upgraded to the latest software (07/21) as of today - a software version I was trying to avoid at ALL cost - but that didn't fix the issue. I still don't have the option for remote engine start even though I have subscription for it.

Brand new M340xi MY21 already having issues with it. Quite disappointed.
I know it must be aggravating but cheer up its on their dime and they will have it working perfectly free of charge, which in bmw land is golden...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Call BMW help line and ask them to push the update to your vin again. It should be a simple fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
Call BMW help line and ask them to push the update to your vin again. It should be a simple fix.
Not as simple as that. The service folks at the dealership are in touch with engineering on the East Coast. The car did get updated to the "latest and greatest" software yesterday. No dice as far as getting remote engine start. I suspect they have flashed my software because I received a notice today saying my digital key has been removed and in fact the vehicle has been removed from myBMW account so I no longer have access to the car on my account.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Not as simple as that. The service folks at the dealership are in touch with engineering on the East Coast. The car did get updated to the "latest and greatest" software yesterday. No dice as far as getting remote engine start. I suspect they have flashed my software because I received a notice today saying my digital key has been removed and in fact the vehicle has been removed from myBMW account so I no longer have access to the car on my account.
Updating to the latest software doesn't remove the digital key or remove it from your mybmw account. It only happens when you use a new sign in for the connectdrive (your car gets removed from the old sign in). How do I know? My car was updated a couple of weeks back to the latest software by the dealership. It wasn't removed from my account. Last week I created a completely new sign in for my car and it got removed from my old sign in ID automatically once I approved the new sign in ID.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Updating to the latest software doesn't remove the digital key or remove it from your mybmw account. It only happens when you use a new sign in for the connectdrive (your car gets removed from the old sign in). How do I know? My car was updated a couple of weeks back to the latest software by the dealership. It wasn't removed from my account. Last week I created a completely new sign in for my car and it got removed from my old sign in ID automatically once I approved the new sign in ID.
Yeah I know. I'm just not sure what exactly they are doing to have warranted my digital key being removed and being signed out of my account. The software update itself from a few days back didn't remove my account from myBMW neither did it remove the digital key. This just happened today so who knows what they are doing as of today .
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Yeah I know. I'm just not sure what exactly they are doing to have warranted my digital key being removed and being signed out of my account. The software update itself from a few days back didn't remove my account. This just happened today so who knows what they are doing.
I would be very suspicious. Call them and ask?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Yeah I know. I'm just not sure what exactly they are doing to have warranted my digital key being removed and being signed out of my account. The software update itself from a few days back didn't remove my account. This just happened today so who knows what they are doing.
I would be very suspicious. Call them and ask?
I messaged the service rep but he hasn't gotten back to me. But then again it could be that the car has been flashed back to its original VO.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just got an update. Service rep said they are leaning towards replacing the head unit. Sounds crazy to me. The car has only 500 miles. I've asked him to reach out to the engineers to provide detailed info as to why they believe it's a problem with the head unit since they aren't getting any error codes.

Push comes to shove I'd ask for my money back from the ConnectedDrive purchase — I can live without Remote Engine Start. I'm a little on the fence about replacing such major hardware on the car right now.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1949.00
      08-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Just got an update. Service rep said they are leaning towards replacing the head unit. Sounds crazy to me. The car has only 500 miles. I've asked him to reach out to the engineers to provide detailed info as to why they believe it's a problem with the head unit since they aren't getting any error codes.

Push comes to shove I'd ask for my money back from the ConnectedDrive purchase — I can live without Remote Engine Start. I'm a little on the fence about replacing such major hardware on the car right now.
My 2020 M340iX w/ factory installed remote start has 017C FSC installed in the DME. If the 2021 is the same, has your dealer checked the DME for the installed FSC?
      08-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #11
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Quote:

My 2020 M340iX w/ factory installed remote start has 017C FSC installed in the DME. If the 2021 is the same, has your dealer checked the DME for the installed FSC?
Well they've been working with Germany (as of today) so I'd suppose they are aware of what needs to be in place.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #12
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

German engineers got remote access to my car yesterday and after multiple attempts they believe it's a problem with the head unit.The head unit is not sending back confirmation on the backend for the new feature (remote engine start.) They have no way of forcing it to send "acknowledgements." The dealer went ahead and ordered for a replacement head unit. None is available right now due to chip shortage so they are returning my car and will let me know when they receive the unit. I was hesitant and looking to get my money back from the ConnectedDrive purchase but the foreman strongly recommends I go the route of replacing the head unit. At this point: the waiting begins!
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      09-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #13
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

We received the new head unit from Germany. It was installed and programmed but that didn't fix the issue. At this point I might just have to give up and ask for a refund from the ConnectedDrive purchase.

A little surprised at the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #14
evan103207
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xdrive

Quote:
We received the new head unit from Germany. It was installed and programmed but that didn't fix the issue. At this point I might just have to give up and ask for a refund from the ConnectedDrive purchase.

A little surprised at the outcome.
You should be compensated with a G80 M3 xdrive imo
Appreciate 2
bmw136825.00
      09-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

They called back and said they might have figured out what the issue is: long story short, after a bit of research along with the engineers in Germany, they discovered that the new head unit wasn't properly coded. They're doing everything they can to keep a happy customer and have requested I bring it back in because it needs to be hooked on their system. Fingers crossed. I'll cycle back here with an update. Happy Labor Day weekend!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
They called back and said they might have figured out what the issue is: long story short, after a bit of research along with the engineers in Germany, they discovered that the new head unit wasn't properly coded. They're doing everything they can to keep a happy customer and have requested I bring it back in because it needs to be hooked on their system. Fingers crossed. I'll cycle back here with an update. Happy Labor Day weekend!
Your experience resembles my experience with F30 false alarm triggers.

The multiple(8-10, mixed in with recalls and maintenance) visits had multiple roof function units(with various sensor revisions) and i-Level's loaded, and the car got bricked once(or twice?) in the process of remote debug from Germany.

The SAs and foremen and loaner attendants and service director were all enthusiastic and friendly, and it did get fixed eventually, but I did wonder if I should have been compensated for my invaluable time besides unlimited miles on loaners ....
Appreciate 1
zazzau766.00
      09-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #17
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Your experience resembles my experience with F30 false alarm triggers.

The multiple(8-10, mixed in with recalls and maintenance) visits had multiple roof function units(with various sensor revisions) and i-Level's loaded, and the car got bricked once(or twice?) in the process of remote debug from Germany.

The SAs and foremen and loaner attendants and service director were all enthusiastic and friendly, and it did get fixed eventually, but I did wonder if I should have been compensated for my invaluable time besides unlimited miles on loaners ....
Wow! That makes me feel better. Thanks for sharing. This is my first time having to deal with a dealer (no pun intended!) Everyone has been professional but the experience has been quite stressful particularly that it's a brand new car I'd rather be driving than having it sit with the dealer for many days. Let's see what comes out of this. Wish me luck. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #18
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just to close the loop here. I'm happy to report that the "German wizards" have finally coded my car with this feature. I guess it's true that the third time's a charm:

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-15-2021, 12:06 AM   #19
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ha Mountain View, CA. That's probably the city with the mildest climate all year round.

Glad to hear you got it worked out though.
Appreciate 0