E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Broken CCC iDrive during Andream install?

08-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
bailejor
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Broken CCC iDrive during Andream install?

Hello all,

I've done some searching around but can't find exactly what I am looking for. I was attempting to install an aftermarket CarPlay/AA unit. Specifically the following: https://www.wakaa.us/products/apple-...90-e91-e92-e93

It was very painful to make it fit as others have noted. I did eventually get it to fit, but may have been a bit hamfisted in the attempt. Upon assembly the did not power on. I checked the wiring harness and all other wires. Everything seemed to be intact. I then attempted to reinstall the old iDrive screen with the original harness only. This screen would not power on either despite working before the install. My question is, what is most likely the culprit?

I ordered a replacement CCC unit from eBay and it did not seem to fix the issue. Tried it with both the aftermarket and factory screen, neither seemed to have power.

No audio, wheel/knob spins freely. SOS malfunction. I discovered that the optical cable is only sending a signal (flashing red) when the plug is oriented upward. See video for reference. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U1-...ew?usp=sharing

I can only get it to flash when it is oriented that direction, no pushing/pulling/bending will allow it to flash when oriented any other way. I'm guessing this means it is damaged. Could that cause all of the symptoms including no power to screen? I can't seem to find any guides on replacing this.

Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
watermusicboy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i E93 Convertible

I installed one for CIC. Please note that your link to the Wakaa website gives a 404 error, not a product page. I would double check your wiring - crimo connectors caused me some issues and I had to go back to solder to get reliable connections.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Literally did this job today as my shitty Android unit is shitty.

None of you links work. Sort that out as it makes the rest of this guess work.

You may have damaged the Optical cable, they are supposed to be fragile but I`ve never managed to break one. Also it`s down the bottom and you just move it to the new harness so don`t see how you could have damaged it. Fitment issues should only occur up the top, plenty of room down near that cable for the new harness and wires (if you remove the cage, which I hope you did).

You don`t have to put it all back together to check it turns on btw.. Just plug everything in, leave it hanging, and, stick your key in.
Appreciate 0