E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clutch job. Flywheel failure question.

08-02-2021, 01:40 AM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Clutch job. Flywheel failure question.

It’s been about two or three weeks now since I replaced the clutch and flywheel on my 330i. Due to a failed DMF that exploded. (No damage to bell housing)

Okay. So I just want to confirm that I did this job correctly, and there’s one step that I could have f’ed up. And that’s the pilot bearing. IIRC the old pilot bearing came out with the flywheel and just dropped to the floor.

The new pilot bearing was pressed into the new flywheel itself.

My question is : According to this picture, did I miss a step in taking out the pilot bearing off the shaft? Or in the shaft? Does does this look normal and ready to go in? Because I did not touch that shaft.

The reason for my concern ; is due to the fact that I am getting some slight noise coming from that area. Could be vanos, but could be DMF.

Here’s a pic of the shaft before I installed it back onto the engine. (I obviously cleaned it very well before doing so)

Here’s a video of what I’m experiencing. It does sound much worse in this video, than it does in real life. Hoping it’s not an installation error. But rather maybe dirty oil check valves, or just noisy vanos gears.

https://youtube.com/shorts/aaTiim2ea-c?feature=share

Last edited by bmwpower603; 08-02-2021 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0