BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > New owners…how’s it going?

07-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

New owners…how’s it going?

Really curious to see what newish owners are thinking of their M2C’s? I know many of you have posted early impressions, but I’m more interested in your thoughts now that you have had some decent seat time and perhaps the “honeymoon phase” is over. Biggest likes, dislikes? Any big surprises? Would you buy one all over again if given the choice?
Appreciate 3
ALX_B48.00
MVista329.50
      07-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I'm at 1 year 7 months and 11k miles, and the honeymoon phase is not over. Love driving this car everyday, and was joking (not really) with the fam yesterday saying that I'll build a garage for my F87 for when i buy the G87, as I plan to keep this car. No selling it.
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I'm at 3 months in, 3300 miles already (that will slow down as my other car is really my daily), and the honeymoon ain't over here either. The car has been everything I hoped it would be, and then some. Pleasantly surprised at how well it can serve as a casual grocery-getter, yet be a monster when you want it to be. Looks beautiful, yet doesn't attract too much attention, other than from enthusiasts who know what it is. And for the money, I don't think there is (was!) a better value for what the package delivers.

I was gonna keep my last Z4MC forever, I absolutely loved that car. But when it got hit in January, it took me less than 24 hours to decide that I would part with it when it came out of the shop, and after scanning these forums for M2c ordering details, I knew it was a now-or-never decision if I were to go in this direction. Made up my mind quickly and ordered the car in early February. It's been a more than worthy replacement. Would still like to own another Z4MC someday, but I wouldn't unload the M2c to do it - she's a keeper for sure.
Foggins1334.50
BigKutta3907.50
      07-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Picked mine up on June 26 and only have 600 miles on it. However, that is more than enough miles to know this is one special ride. Can’t get enough seat time and waiting to make it through the break in period is excruciating!! At night time once the kids and wife are a sleep I get out and drive the empty roads for a while, windows down and no radio needed.
This car does get a lot of attention from car guys and bimmer fans so be ready to talk it up and be an ambassador!! Stopped to get gas, be ready to talk. Stopped at a light, be ready to talk. Keep your windows down and you will meet a lot of nice new friends.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
Picked mine up on June 26 and only have 600 miles on it. However, that is more than enough miles to know this is one special ride. Can’t get enough seat time and waiting to make it through the break in period is excruciating!! At night time once the kids and wife are a sleep I get out and drive the empty roads for a while, windows down and no radio needed.
This car does get a lot of attention from car guys and bimmer fans so be ready to talk it up and be an ambassador!! Stopped to get gas, be ready to talk. Stopped at a light, be ready to talk. Keep your windows down and you will meet a lot of nice new friends.
What color?
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
Purchased new about 2 years ago, 4400 miles, M2C HS 6SP MT.

Only complaint is the soft suspension, and it's overweight. I bought the Ohins R&T coilovers to remedy but it should've come with MP coilovers from the factory on a diet.

After the break in I feel the car has plenty of power and I'm happy just the way it is, I love everything about it. Fully kitted out with the MP CF parts and 763M's it's just over the top. Pretty much my dream car.

Zero regrets. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
What color?
HS, slick top, 6 MT, CF rear M Performance diffuser
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
BGR518.00
      07-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=MVista;27840481]

Only complaint is the soft suspension, and it's overweight. I bought the Ohins R&T coilovers to remedy but it should've come with MP coilovers from the factory on a diet.

Fully kitted out with the MP CF parts and 763M's it's just over the top. [QUOTE]

I’m eventually going to swap out to 763s in black. They look way better and really show the massive brakes off.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #9
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Really curious to see what newish owners are thinking of their M2C’s? I know many of you have posted early impressions, but I’m more interested in your thoughts now that you have had some decent seat time and perhaps the “honeymoon phase” is over. Biggest likes, dislikes? Any big surprises? Would you buy one all over again if given the choice?
It's been 11 months of foreplay and I expect a long honeymoon. Seating position could be better but I like the nimbleness and fun factor. Biggest surprise is everybody wants to race when I drive spiritedly. She's a keeper alright but in retrospect, I would have bought a CS instead.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
HS, slick top, 6 MT, CF rear M Performance diffuser
That’s what I will be taking delivery of hopefully in the next couple of weeks. No CF bits on it yet though.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #11
AJAXF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp HKS

About 2 months in, 1300 miles. Just got my break in service done.

This car is faster than it needs to be. 7500+ rpm is as nuts as I expected and I love stretch it out. I love the burbles that are programmed in but I tuned out the fake audio with BimmerCode.

There's power in 6th at highway speeds to pass easily. Dropping a gear and disappearing is super easy with the rev matching that everyone loves to complain about. It inspires confidence in the canyons and feels like it wants more.

I don't have any complaints really. I get compliments on the color and have answered a few questions from complete strangers. I'm very happy that I'm not the only one excited about this wonderful car.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50
      07-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #12
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

7 months and 3600 miles. Still in the honeymoon phase but after all the recent mods the car is still civil and a blast to drive. Doesn't turn heads as much as some more flashy cars (which I like) but I've gotten my fair share of attention.

Aching to get some more seat time in hopefully next week!
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50
      07-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #13
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I dunno how some of you have such little miles. I already put 5k miles in 3 months. I love driving this thing, I go on lunch drives all the time. Its my only car though but we take wifes car a lot too
Appreciate 3
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50
Clippy55.50
      07-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
I have owned Ulfhild-Helga for over 1 yr - I bought her pre-owned from a Porsche dealership (guess the original owner traded her in for Neunfer, haha, what a fool eh?)

My honeymoon re-starts every-time I drive it, kind of like the Groundhog Day movie: enjoyment factor never gets old, just keeps repeating itself. Dare I say, I appreciate it for what it is more so every day - personally, it does everything right for me, so much so it really made me stop looking for the "subjectively better" car, whatever the dimension (performance, usability, design etc).

Honestly, I think I have reached car-zen with the M2C !
kitskar42.00
      07-24-2021, 10:56 PM   #15
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

Seems like people barely drive, I'm over 1700 miles in a month already. Break in service done at 1200 miles, kept rpm under 4k for first 1200 miles and it was very hard to do but had to be done.

Everyone hypes this car up, and it is truly great. But I'm going to give non biased info here. There's pros and cons to every car. So let me do a quick summary.

What I love about the car:
-The looks, specially after adding frozen gold 763 M. Has to be one of the best looking cars out there. The proportions are just right, the size is just right, and it's a mature good.

-Practicality, this is a sports car that you can get groceries with. I have a rear facing child seat that works fine. It's probably got the best rear seats out of any two door car i've seen.
-Manual transmission

What I like:
-Handling, it's a blast in the twisties
-It's not full of tech gimmicks
-The price is just right, try getting a Porsche Cayman and you'll be in six figures. Free maintenance for 3 years with bmw and I got 0.9% APR, win
-It attracts the right kind of attention, car enthusiasts will notice it. Normal people won't bother you. I can drive it to work without getting noticed.
-The control: efficient vs sport vs sport+, want to be mature switch to efficient. Want to be a hooligan go sport plus and hear the burbles and pops

What I'm neutral about:
-Performance, I know people say it's really fast but that's all on your frame of reference. For the price of this car you can get much faster cars. Plus after being in other M cars, camaro ZL1, GT500, tesla's...it feels just okay performance wise. I'm talking about how hard it pulls/accelerates. It's enough for street driving, but not like it will push you back in your seat and scare you
-ECU locked for new M2s, not a big deal for me because I'm not planning on a tune
-1st to 2nd gear shift takes some getting used to, isn't the smoothest

What I dislike:
-small gas tank, will have to visit gas station often
-Lot of brake dust, I wash it twice a week to keep the wheels looking clean. In my opinion ceramic on wheels is a MUST. Oh and I have 763s, 788s must be a nightmare
-Rocker panels need PPF, so I recommend getting PPF on front and rocker panels. Rocks will hit them often.
-Brake squeal, normal and harmless...happens on all M cars. But can still be embarrassing
-Interior could be slightly better, I could have went g80 M3 but I picked this. I am jealous of the interior the g80 M3 has and probably what the new g87 m2 will have
-Highway RPM a bit high even in 6th gear
-Wireless charger doesn't actually fit most modern smart phones unless you have a tiny phone, basically useless.

What I hate:
-The sound: stock exhaust sounds like a lawn mower, not like a sports car. I tried to fix this with an aftermarket but I feel like I created other issues. See this post here for details. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1843852
-Low hanging stock muffler. But fixed with aftermarket exhaust system.
-Speed is overstated by ~2 mph. Check this with multiple GPS units, the speed it displays is always 2 mph faster than the speed the car is actually going
-ASD, I know I can code this out...but I need to figure this out asap, very frustrating

Conclusion: This is the only car under 90k that can do everything I need it to do. I want a sports car that can be a daily driver and one that doesn't attract too much unwanted attention. This is it. In total I've spent about $80,000 on this car when you factor in PPF, ceramic, M performance carbon bits, exhaust, 763 wheels, etc. I'm still working on making this car sound good, and once that's figured out it will be a 9/10 from me.
Appreciate 9
Foggins1334.50
Kingpin4386.50
FancyBear109.00
Moflow2484.50
wjones14664.00
rns2947.50
kitskar42.00
Clippy55.50
      07-25-2021, 02:57 AM   #16
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
Seems like people barely drive, I'm over 1700 miles in a month already. Break in service done at 1200 miles, kept rpm under 4k for first 1200 miles and it was very hard to do but had to be done.

Everyone hypes this car up, and it is truly great. But I'm going to give non biased info here. There's pros and cons to every car. So let me do a quick summary.

What I love about the car:
-The looks, specially after adding frozen gold 763 M. Has to be one of the best looking cars out there. The proportions are just right, the size is just right, and it's a mature good.

-Practicality, this is a sports car that you can get groceries with. I have a rear facing child seat that works fine. It's probably got the best rear seats out of any two door car i've seen.
-Manual transmission

What I like:
-Handling, it's a blast in the twisties
-It's not full of tech gimmicks
-The price is just right, try getting a Porsche Cayman and you'll be in six figures. Free maintenance for 3 years with bmw and I got 0.9% APR, win
-It attracts the right kind of attention, car enthusiasts will notice it. Normal people won't bother you. I can drive it to work without getting noticed.
-The control: efficient vs sport vs sport+, want to be mature switch to efficient. Want to be a hooligan go sport plus and hear the burbles and pops

What I'm neutral about:
-Performance, I know people say it's really fast but that's all on your frame of reference. For the price of this car you can get much faster cars. Plus after being in other M cars, camaro ZL1, GT500, tesla's...it feels just okay performance wise. I'm talking about how hard it pulls/accelerates. It's enough for street driving, but not like it will push you back in your seat and scare you
-ECU locked for new M2s, not a big deal for me because I'm not planning on a tune
-1st to 2nd gear shift takes some getting used to, isn't the smoothest

What I dislike:
-small gas tank, will have to visit gas station often
-Lot of brake dust, I wash it twice a week to keep the wheels looking clean. In my opinion ceramic on wheels is a MUST. Oh and I have 763s, 788s must be a nightmare
-Rocker panels need PPF, so I recommend getting PPF on front and rocker panels. Rocks will hit them often.
-Brake squeal, normal and harmless...happens on all M cars. But can still be embarrassing
-Interior could be slightly better, I could have went g80 M3 but I picked this. I am jealous of the interior the g80 M3 has and probably what the new g87 m2 will have
-Highway RPM a bit high even in 6th gear
-Wireless charger doesn't actually fit most modern smart phones unless you have a tiny phone, basically useless.

What I hate:
-The sound: stock exhaust sounds like a lawn mower, not like a sports car. I tried to fix this with an aftermarket but I feel like I created other issues. See this post here for details. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1843852
-Low hanging stock muffler. But fixed with aftermarket exhaust system.
-Speed is overstated by ~2 mph. Check this with multiple GPS units, the speed it displays is always 2 mph faster than the speed the car is actually going
-ASD, I know I can code this out...but I need to figure this out asap, very frustrating

Conclusion: This is the only car under 90k that can do everything I need it to do. I want a sports car that can be a daily driver and one that doesn't attract too much unwanted attention. This is it. In total I've spent about $80,000 on this car when you factor in PPF, ceramic, M performance carbon bits, exhaust, 763 wheels, etc. I'm still working on making this car sound good, and once that's figured out it will be a 9/10 from me.
This is a proper write-up mate! I will add that, you're right, it isn't the perfect car, no car honestly is, but it bloody comes close though!

IMO, it's about striking the perfect balance between subjective fun, real world (usable) performance, tech/design/looks, usability (it has real 2 rear seats, very decent boot) price and flaws (ie imperfect sound/exhaust, puny gas tank, scraped up knuckles after washing the 788rims - ooh, my bad, that last one is a feature). Taking into account all this criteria - it wins in just about every category that counts, especially looking at the competition (shite, did the pun thing again!).

At the end of the day, it's how this inanimate object makes you feel. Personally
Attached Images

07-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #17
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I am almost 1.5 years in to my M2C experience.

I still love the car, and I am pretty fickle/add when it comes to cars.

I usually get pretty bored with a car by 6 months.

It's my first M car and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of the whole "there is something about an M car" line in the past.

But now I get it. It's the whole package that brings the experience to a higher level.

This car is just pure good simple fun.

Here's what makes it fun for me:
it's the right size
it looks mean and aggressive
the visibility is great
the S55 is a powerful engine with character
the manual transmission works well
it rides decent
it has a playful nature in cornering

the only things I am not huge on the car are
turbo lag (I am an NA guy)
sound isn't all that inspiring (but it's not bad)
the brake dust is just stupidly annoying, I wish there was an option for smaller brakes for us non-track folks, I do not need big brakes like that
that's about it

overall I still really enjoy this car, almost 18 months in, which says a lot!

I have been toying with getting an r8 v10 gated for a while now and recently test drove one. After the drive getting back into my car, I thought "i wish that v10 could be put into this car". That v10 is epic, but in all other respects I find the M2C a much better fit for me. I guess that's pretty high praise.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50
      07-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The only honest complaint I've ever had about this car was the stock suspension on any bumpy or uneven roads... nothing to do w comfort, I just think it takes a crap and gets super bouncy.
GoHerd87.50
veenut28660.00
smknjoe234.00
      07-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #19
GoHerd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 x5 40i 18 540xi 23 F150

Best part of the car, for me, is enough power coupled with the differential.
Very easily controlled rear end hijinks.
Appreciate 3
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50
Moflow2484.50
      07-25-2021, 10:14 AM   #20
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Fourteen months, eleven thousand miles. One 2,500 mile trip. Nothing is ever quite perfect, but I accept my M2C as it is. No complaints. Abosolutely would buy it again, but probably a different color. I like to say I’m keeping this car until my kids take the keys. A long time. When I’m behind the wheel the smile never leaves. NEVER.

Enjoy yours.
Appreciate 3
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50
Moflow2484.50
      07-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #21
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The only honest complaint I've ever had about this car was the stock suspension on any bumpy or uneven roads... nothing to do w comfort, I just think it takes a crap and gets super bouncy.
+1. I don't find the car uncomfortable except over the worst roads, but the suspension is a bit crashy and gets unsettled. Probably the biggest objective demerit. I haven't driven the CS but I can see how the adaptive dampers would be the final piece in the puzzle to optimize the driving experience.

Subjectively I've found that with burbles off (via Bimmerlink) and ASD off via Bimmercode, it sounds good in Sport Plus with the stock exhaust. I don't want to make the car any louder at this time (early mornings and son's room right next to garage) so no plans to go aftermarket.

2+ years and 26k miles for me...still have yet to find anything that is as fun as a daily driver. Just got back from taking my son with me to play 9 holes. Car seat in back, golf clubs in the trunk, rowing my own and taking it to redline in 2nd and 3rd on the Virginia back roads...can't beat it!
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50
      07-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #22
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

Picked up mines last November and I'm about to hit 11,000 miles. I'm having a blast driving this car. I hate to use the word, but it's perfect. I was never a fan of the S55 sound, but as soon as I drove this car, I completely forgot about it. Wished it had carbon fiber roof and less brake dust.
2011 E92 335is AW/CR (Nov 2010 - Nov 2013)
2008 E92 328i JB/BL (Feb 2008 - Nov 2010)
Appreciate 3
Foggins1334.50
NWest552.50