BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

07-07-2021, 05:09 AM   #1
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe

M235i Keyless theft

Wondering if anyone could help me and possibly save me some money along the way.

My M235i is due to be delivered in the next month. I have NOT selected the keyless entry option to the vehicle. Due to it's price, I am worried about it being stolen from my drive in the UK with increasingly common keyless theft techniques being used by thieves.

I have been told by BMW that the new key technology doesn't transmit any signals when the key is motionless, I was planning to buy a Ghost Immobiliser which requires a pin code for it to drive.

However if the thieves can't gain access into the vehicle then is there any point in getting it? Or if they break into my house I suppose it would stop them from driving away if they don't know the code and have the keys...

Does anyone have a vehicle without keyless entry and has the Ghost that could offer some support?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

I haven't the keyless but purchased a dislock, which I only use when the car is parked on our drive and in public spaces. Keyless theft occurs in hotshots to certain vehicles https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...-cars-revealed Personally, having owned keyless entry vehicles since 2008 and not one stolen I do not lose any sleep over it. If they really want your car they will get it by any means anyway. I also have replacement vehicle GAP insurance, although the first year is covered by my insurance company...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
I haven't the keyless but purchased a dislock, which I only use when the car is parked on our drive and in public spaces. Keyless theft occurs in hotshots to certain vehicles https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...-cars-revealed Personally, having owned keyless entry vehicles since 2008 and not one stolen I do not lose any sleep over it. If they really want your car they will get it by any means anyway. I also have replacement vehicle GAP insurance, although the first year is covered by my insurance company...
Cheers mate! I have a Stoplock Pro for my current car which I'll be using on the new one. I have always had replacement GAP insurance myself. I'm 50/50 at the minute to get the Ghost fitted which is around £450 in UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I looked at the stoplock but was concerned the soft steering wheel would end up being marked. I guess the steering wheel cover from disklok can be adapted though https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/diskl...lack-549991250 Have you checked with BMW that the ghost will not invalidate their warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknewman View Post
Wondering if anyone could help me and possibly save me some money along the way.

My M235i is due to be delivered in the next month. I have NOT selected the keyless entry option to the vehicle. Due to it's price, I am worried about it being stolen from my drive in the UK with increasingly common keyless theft techniques being used by thieves.

I have been told by BMW that the new key technology doesn't transmit any signals when the key is motionless, I was planning to buy a Ghost Immobiliser which requires a pin code for it to drive.

However if the thieves can't gain access into the vehicle then is there any point in getting it? Or if they break into my house I suppose it would stop them from driving away if they don't know the code and have the keys...

Does anyone have a vehicle without keyless entry and has the Ghost that could offer some support?
My neighbour knocked a few weeks back and said could I check my CCTV as some b@stard had nicked his steering wheel from his 320d. I checked my cameras and the ball bags checked my car out at 1:30am on escooters and his car then returned at 3am to break in. When the checked my car they had a small torch and inspected the handles for keyless entry markings. I don’t have it or my car probably wouldn’t have been here, so I bought one of these, to deter them. https://www.autolok.co.uk/product/au...ng-wheel-lock/
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's a huge problem and one I had to seriously think about when ordering the car. I was also thinking of installing a bollard on my drive however I'm thinking of going with the Ghost. I don't think it affects any warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #7
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

The new bmw keys do not transmit anything once idle for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 03:42 AM   #8
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is true, however one of the issues is that they can still 'grab' the remote code whilst it is live and not necessarily want the car as it is the air bags they also appear to be after these days. Then there is catalyst theft's that have increased dramatically.
      07-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknewman View Post
It's a huge problem and one I had to seriously think about when ordering the car. I was also thinking of installing a bollard on my drive however I'm thinking of going with the Ghost. I don't think it affects any warranty
I think if Ghost do warning stickers for the window its a great option, agree completely, neighbors son comes back to visit in his spanking new RS3 loads and its like a McDonalds drive through, asked him to keep moving it around, as it was outside my house for 6days and didn't want someone coming through the front door for the keys.
Appreciate 0